Brake Line Fail

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
This saga started with my preparation for the trip to the Fall Bash. I had my bike at the shop for tires and a general check over. I do most of the work on my bike, but I like to have a second set of eyes on it every once in a while. Anyway, the mechanic noticed that when the front wheel is off the ground the brake lines are stretched tight. The lines on the bike are standard length Speiglers, but I have added heli bars and the Ohlins forks (which apparently extend more than stock when unloaded). It wasn't too bad but you don't want the brake lines being tugged on when you do those power wheelies...

Anyway, I figured 2" over stock would work. Then I noticed you can't order these at custom lengths through most guys online. So I called them and made the order over the phone. That's when I got my first set of stock length lines with the wrong banjo fittings (I have a Brembo MC). So I called them back and they said no problem send them back, which I did. That was six weeks ago and there is no sign of a credit to my card, so that's $70 plus shipping back wasted.

Then I call another supplier and got another set of gaflers marked +1" but they are the same length at the stock length Speiglers. Supplier says they are the right length, but they aren't. Supplier says well you're comparing them to speiglers and these are gaflers, so find out what the stock length of the gaflers are and call me back (seems like they would do that since I'm a customer). So I call gafler and of course the person on the line hasn't got a clue and says they will call me back. Haven't heard from them since and haven't been able to get a human on the line. Another $120 in flux.

Then I go to a local sales location and tell them what I want. It was Saturday so they could not get in contact with Speigler - had to come back. I go there on my lunch hour Tuesday - they have no record of me coming in Saturday so I go through the whole list of specifications again. I go back on Thursday at lunch - no record of me again. So I give up on them but at least I don't have any money tied up in them.

Then I try another sponsor. I get my lins and go out to the garage to install them and maybe get a ride in (73 and sunny today). I open the box and stretch out the line next to the stock length Speigler - Amazing its longer! Then I stretch out the other one - stock length! WHy on earth would someone pack to different length lines? Another $109 tied up in front brake lines and no dice :banghead:

So my bike has been down since the Fall Bash. I probably missed the entire last part of the riding season. On top of that I have about $300 I have to argue with a bunch of parts people to get back, 2 of which have already said they can't restock "custom" length lines even though ther are just marked +1" and are actually stock length.

:whistle:

Brake lines.jpg

Length Difference.jpg

All you need to do is call Galfer directly, they will make any line to order for you! With any color lines, fittings.
Any shop you go to does not want to deal with because they generally get the line from a stocking warehouse!

Galfer is a great company to deal with, if you tell them your story, they will help you out, and get the problem resolved!

All you need to do is call Galfer directly, they will make any line to order for you! With any color lines, fittings.
Any shop you go to does not want to deal with because they generally get the line from a stocking warehouse!

Galfer is a great company to deal with, if you tell them your story, they will help you out, and get the problem resolved!

I may have to get you to order them for me as I didi not have luck getting Galfer. Maybe I had a different number or something. We'll see how things go on my next try!

Tim should be able to help you out.
Just one thing to remember, too long is way better than short, i measured my bike with pieces of wire, as a guide.
I may have to get you to order them for me as I didi not have luck getting Galfer. Maybe I had a different number or something. We'll see how things go on my next try!

Also take measurements with the front suspension fully extended .

Measure twice, order once. What a nightmare. I'd be dropping F-Bombs to all these folks who won't help fix this. :banghead:

Arch, easy fix! Lift your bike so the forks are fully extended and measure the length with a string to each side so both you and Galfer knows what length is correct for your application. As John says, Galfer is first class and will build anything you like to your specifications.

If the string measurement doesn't work for you, install the lines you have at the master and route them down to the calipers so you can properly measure the additional length you need. You don't want them to be popcorn tight but you don't want much slack either.

One other point, your brake lines are always two different lengths. The long one goes on the left and the short one goes on the right.

Don't screw around with middle men, go directly to Galfer and they will solve your problem. :thumbsup:

Arch, easy fix! Lift your bike so the forks are fully extended and measure the length with a string to each side so both you and Galfer knows what length is correct for your application. As John says, Galfer is first class and will build anything you like to your specifications.

If the string measurement doesn't work for you, install the lines you have at the master and route them down to the calipers so you can properly measure the additional length you need. You don't want them to be popcorn tight but you don't want much slack either.

One other point, your brake lines are always two different lengths. The long one goes on the left and the short one goes on the right.

Don't screw around with middle men, go directly to Galfer and they will solve your problem. :thumbsup:

I lifted the front of the bike by the frame. I need 31" lines, which is what I ordered. Both of the sets I have of the stock length are identical in length, but maybe they don't have to be. Thanks for the help though, appreciate it.:thumbsup:

Thought this was going to be a horror story, sounds like ay got it handled. make sure the banjos dont touch the faring when you tighten them up, check with bars turned fully in both directions, could be a problem later on.

I lifted the front of the bike by the frame. I need 31" lines, which is what I ordered. Both of the sets I have of the stock length are identical in length, but maybe they don't have to be. Thanks for the help though, appreciate it.:thumbsup:
One line should be longer to reach the left side!

Willie, I PMed you on the lines that I just sent you.

Like someone already said, the RH caliper will have the shorter line running to it. I've ordered those kits for people several times from Speigler and never had a problem so if there is actually a problem with the one being to short, just let me know and I will get another coming

Last edited:
With the Brembo Master the lines need to be almost 2 inches longer!
Stock length is too short
Willie, I PMed you on the lines that I just sent you.

Like someone already said, the RH caliper will have the shorter line running to it. I've ordered those kits for people several times from Speigler and never had a problem so if there is actually a problem with the one being to short, just let me know and I will get another coming

Back