Boeing 797 (photo)

heavybusa

Just another guy
Donating Member
Registered
Link to article

Boeing to take on Airbus with (1000 seat) giant 797 Blended Wing plane....Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years. The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Center. The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747’s 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide. The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers.
....Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach, Calif. The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come.
....There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift to drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it an estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus’s $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky. High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft, it reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach .88 or 654 mph cruising speed (another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380’s 570 mph)
....The exact date for introduction is unclear, yet the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy.

â€￾This is a great advancement in commercial aviation and a huge win for boeing"

boeing_bwb_concept.jpg

Hmmmm....looks familiar for some reason ? Pretty cool lookin' !
wink.gif

looks cool but they are going to have the same problem. It will only fit at maybe two airports in the US

wow nice article! That makes us wonder what will come after that? I'm saving my pennies for the personal teleporters soon to come!

all_coholic.gif

(jwcfbd @ Nov. 23 2006,10:28) looks cool but they are going to have the same problem.  It will only fit at maybe two airports in the US
Hey man innovation changes the world.

This thing could make that change... I love seeing innovation like this.

LAX is halfway thru construction. After its done this spring, it can handle the A380 and the B797 if they build it.

What other US airports can handle it??

Hey  man innovation changes the world.[/Quote]

Not sure that the 797 can be safely operated due to the need to evacuate 1000 people in a set time.  As for innovation, it's still sub-sonic, agreed it better that the A380, which to me is a backward step. I would prefer a 300 seat mach 3 SST, now that would be innovation  
beerchug.gif

that plane is a technology wonder.
its hard to imagne a plane that holds 800 to 1000 people
it is a work of art to be able to fly and accommodate that many people.

Those artist renditions have been around for awhile.
I doubt Boeing would want to spend the huge amount of money it would take for tooling moving away from the standard tube based passenger planes. But the biggest deterrent to this style of plane would be the need for global partners to make the return on investment from global plane sales. With the tubular design the plane is modular and many different countries manufacture different areas of the plane to be "snapped together" at assembly.
Since the sonic boom is being tamed by NASA and other companies I would imagine that the next big breakthrough will be in MACH + planes that will be more toward the long stretched wedge shape rather than a flying wing. Faster speeds and lower fuel consumption are the future.

(Charlesbusa @ Nov. 23 2006,14:11) LAX is halfway thru construction.  After its done this spring, it can handle the A380 and the B797 if they build it.

What other US airports can handle it??
I'm not sure it will fit right now but I did find this.
"Though no US airlines have ordered the A380, a number of foreign carriers will operate passenger service with it into major US airports such as New York JFK, San Francisco and Los Angeles. FedEx and UPS have ordered freighter versions, which will be operated at their respective hubs in Memphis and Louisville. In Europe, hubs such as Frankfurt (Lufthansa), London Heathrow (Virgin Atlantic) and Paris Charles de Gaulle (Air France) are preparing to receive the aircraft. Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways and Emirates also have orders in for the behemoth. "

http://www.atwonline.com/channel....ID=1187

(heavybusa @ Nov. 23 2006,09:43)
(Warputer @ Nov. 23 2006,10:35)
(heavybusa @ Nov. 23 2006,10
zzwhip.gif
)
(Warputer @ Nov. 23 2006,10:28) Hmmmm....looks familiar for some reason ?   Pretty cool lookin' !
wink.gif
like this  
wink.gif

stealth-bomber-4.jpg
Exactly !! Wonder if it'll fly under the radar too ?  
laugh.gif
Only if it could do this

b2_ocean.jpg
Thats a photo shop. The stealth is not a supersonic plane. Cool pic though.

wink.gif

The 797 is interesting, I don't think it's the future for Boeing but they gotta do something. I know that when I allways try to find an Airbus going my way if possible. They are just that little bit more comfortable than a 737/727, for domestic flights.

But, I don't like flying in Frog aircraft so it would be nice if boeing would take a nod and step up.

Back