bob slams the modded box .how do you like yours?

OB_dragabusa

Registered
hey bob(ramair), i'll buy that box off of you. if you are that unhappy with it. hell i'll give it a try. i went 147 mph with slight box cut. i would love to try a gutted box. i will pick up 2 mph or so. let me know if you want to sell it cheap. KEMMAN@AOL.COM

well you want opinions.... first off, let me say that I DONT HAVE THE "MOTORHEAD" airbox, but i have a fully modified, uni pre-filtered airbox (same damn thing),and the following is nothing against "motorhead", just my experiences with a fully modified box...first off, its not bad. it did not slow me down, it just did not pick me up anything. when i originally did the partial "cut out flapper" mod i picked up 2 mph. my micron pipe also gave me 2 mph, putting me at 145 thru the traps (9.68)

(cont) i have yet to see any more et or mph from going to a full airbox mod. i have run without the pcII, with the pc II, 007 map, 007 HARV map, all with no more mph. now, one thing i haven't done yet, is switch to 4 long stacks, so this may help me. but so far, full mod hasn't made me say "amazing I feel it" and pick up 2-3 mph in 1/4. im sure motorhead could put my bike on his dyno and find more power, but for that id have to travel (my bike only made 155.7 hp on a dynojet 150 on sunday)..has anyone that has had a pipe and partial airbox mod instantly picked up any mph by switching to a full airbox mod? i would like to hear improvements (track mph, not seat of the pants)in the real world. once again, nothing against motorhead, just speaking my own results from a full airbox mod... i will continue to test with this box (long stacks coming), but also will test with a partial-mod box also to find out what works better...

I like the box, same here though, I didn't pick up anything over the half box mod, or at least the track mph don't show but it does give a good seat of pants feel and the UNI foam replacement is much cheaper then buying stock filters and the BMC's are a joke so I would do it again. I have had my bike on 2 different dynos, 2 tuners, and I, myself have tried every mapping combo with the Yosh box at the track but it just doesnt pick up. Maybe a PCII is the fix but I have just spent too much money on this thing and I am trying to quit($300+on dyno tuning alone)I too picked up 2 mph in the traps when going from stock air box to half mod and then another 2.5-3 mph for Yosh Duplex. I too run 144.5-145.5 mph in the traps. I think the motorhead box is a great difference over stock airbox. I recently dynoed my bike on an Eddy Current EC997a(Electric brake dyno) and immediately after we dynoed a 99 with akro and stock airbox. After mapping both bikes with air/fuel meter and Yosh box the 99(stock airbox)did 154.13 hp and 91.50lbs torque, mine did 156.45 hp and 90.89lbs torque. They ended up both being best at 0,+5,0. Mine being slightly leaner at 13.5ppm then his at 13.1. The dyno operator and tuner said mine was the highest stock(basically, pipe+airbox) HP they have seen on their dyno and were impressed with the full box mod. Solid 2.5 - 3 hp increase. I am going to try all long stacks next, now I have all short, my peak torque was at 8220 rpms, stock is like 7k.

ALAN all longs is gonna give you a total woody, trust me. Beatch YANKS at low rpm.

I personaly do not think it is worthless.
I do have both stock and mod boxes and I can say it is more power.
I do not have a pipe I am still stock and their is a differance.
REMEMBER any box will flow like dodo if it wont get air.
Bob I know that everyone has preferances.
If you think it is worthless then for you it is. that is your .02
Mine .02 is I have all the proof I need that it works. now at 9.68 while spinning the bad tire.

and mine with a pipe went 148.5 mph in the 1/4 at a very very poor track.goin to the good one tomorrow.problem here.its subject to the bikes state of tune misalignment etc. etc.ask loftyabuse about that.i love debates on proven stuff its cool.because i know better.more air+more fuel=more power simple and irrefutable.

To Ramair, I would have to ask, before blaming all of your ills on the mod, did you change to a stock air box and see a vast improvement? Going from point A to B as quickly as possible is an art, not a guaranteed ouitcome. Different tracks, different conditions, state of tune, the all important launch, etc, ALL contribute to the ET and top speed. Keep evertything as consistently as humanly possible (to establish a working baseline) and make ONE change at a time to observe the outcome. If a change is seen, validate it by removing that change. If you don't see that previous change negated, something else happened!

Subj: Re: AIRBOX
Date: 7/11/00 8:59:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: ramair1@flash.net

no why should i somethings wrong here and you point your finger at my product and not at your bike or tuneing.i will not let this rest in the least .tell me did you dyno.hell no.i have done more busas in person than probably anyone and i have seen this same crap on my dyno but i was able to locate the problem.my bike will go over 150 and 165 is what my rider weight is so its not 5 mph at all.you don't get 16 hp from just a pipe.you've been cocky from the start and i will prove you wrong.

THIS IS NOT A GAME. IT IS MY INTEGRETY THAT I I MEAN WHAT I SAY AND SAY WHAT I MEAN.I REFUSE TO SELL OR EVEN DEAL WITH A PRODUCT THAT DOES NOT WORK AND AM INSULTED AT IGNORANT FINGER POINTING TOWARD MY PRODUCT.

I think someone is getting a LITTLE ticked off here...try to get some specifics outta him, like is he spinning the tire off with the mod box, what other mods, plugs, etc.

hehehe

FUKIN RIGHT IAM TICKED BECAUSE I KNOW BETTER THAN HE DOES.I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING OR EVEN A LOT BUT I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE BOX AND THE BUSA COMBO.BASICALLY HE IS SAYING I'M SELLING A WORTHLESS PRODUCT AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR SUCH A BLIND STATEMENT.ITS AN INSULT TO EVERYTHING I STAND FOR PERIOD.I WILL NOT SELL ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT DELIVER WHAT IT'S SUPPOSE TO. ( PRIDE OVER PROFIT )IS MY #1 MOTO CASE CLOSED!!

You tell him Mr Motorhead

We all know it works. We have seen all the posts and the dyno graphs.

Blokes just being a prat.
His bike is knackered , he can't ride for sh1t and he don't want to blame himself

Tell him to F### off

Nuts ;)

Well I'm not sure if Bob is on these boards or not but here it goes..

"I bet you don't weigh 220 lb" No I don't but let's see I'm actually about 230lbs and I've been running 9.5-9.6's on the Busa for the last couple months. So far the bike has TMH Airbox, Two Brothers Pipe, and the Dynojet Powercommander II. So if TMH Airbox sucks there's something wrong with my bike because it runs awesome with it! The ET speaks for itself!

Motorhead - This guy either can't ride or don't know anything about tuning a bike...With your box his bike is probably putting out more power then he can handle or get to the ground...Don't worry about it there's one in every bunch

all short???!!!!!man that combo blows.mixed or longs.basically i have watched so many people come to my shop and get theres dynod and before and afters done i lost count.i know i've done 30 or 40 in person and i always got power at least 4 hp even on turds.i have however found fuel system problems in about 2 dozen bikes.usually it shows up the worst as soon as you either put a pipe on or an airbox.if you don't have ample fuel you will not make power.no matter how much air you get.fuel makes power!so if you gain only a couple of horse somethig stinks either your fuel sysems screwed or the mixture or the mappings screwed.the normal increse i see with a good pipe is 6 hp.the better the pipe the better the airbox works.its an airpump period.allen i know you didnt change stack length after you did your mod!if you did theres the problem.all short do exactly that come up short.

Gee BoB I agree with you. The Motorhead air box is a piece of **** . Anyone cought with that on their bike should be flogged. Heck you will any way by Honda F3s. There is no way that a wrench jocky like motorhead is going to improve on the millions of dollars of R&D that Suzuki has done. Keep your bike stock. Get that piece of **** air box off your bike. I really feel for you falling for for the hype and snake oil that road side vender Motorhead sells. I really do feel your pain. So much that I am willing to share the pain with you. If you will send me the demon air box, the one that was just fine till Motorhead butchered it up, I will send you a stock air box right off of my own bike. A 2000 Busa. I of course will burn the offending Motorhead air box. MY email is rclifton@triad.rr.com
Send me an email and I will give you my address. Hell I will even pay for the shipping. You really need to get that hunk of junk off your bike before it does damage to it. I will send my airbox back next day air. Get it off there. IT IS NO GOOD. Those of us that are in the know are laughing at you till you send me that box.

Back