blown motor

busabob1300

Registered
I have a 2000 busa with a 31,000 miles on it. On a bike trip the motor blew while riding @ 25MPH through a small town in Wis. (what really sucked was being 400 miles from home!). It sounded like the drive chain jumping when in reality it was 2 valve faces knocking around in the #3 cylinder. I pulled in the clutch when I heard the sound and the motor seized after about 2-3 seconds of making the sound. The damage was done - all 8 exhaust valves came down to the pistons to seize it. I can see through the #3 piston and the head is shot as well.
There were no indications that the chain was going (no noises, etc). What irritates me the most is the fact there was a recall (which was performed on the bike in Dec 2000) on the cam chain tensioner. Suzuki must know this is a weak part of the motor. I'm wondering how many others like me are out there.
On a related point, how many warranty hours did the dealer others with the '00 recall show on your repair order invoice? I'm concerned the dealer short-cutted the recall repair.

what mods you have on your Busa? Just curious if it was "COMPLETELY" stock or if you had anything done that may have caused it to happen.

that is well bad mate:(
i got a 2000 busa just ova 5000 miles i had to have a upgraded starter put onit coz everytime i pressed the button to start it made a really horrible sound.
then when i pushed it backwards and farwards and tryied it again it started.
now at 18000 miles later i just got it slipping outa gear every now and then but i dont kno anything bout engines so i dont know what that can be:(

I have the 99 and one day after I bought the bike (I bought it from a guy in Chicago used) it would not start. I took it to the dealership and they kept it for about 2 days just to tell me that I had blown a fuse. Anyway one of the mechanics was really into the busas and happen to notice the recall hadn't been done on it. so he notified suzuki that the recall hadn't been done on my bike, well when they pulled my vin # it had showed up that the chicago dealership had done it. But they didn't. So they kept my bike for about a month because they had to go through an investigation to see why it hadn't been done. So once they got it straight that it really wasn't done, it took them about 2 days to fix my bike. Now the problem I have is that my Black box went out on me and I can't get the oringinal back because its unrestricted. So now I have to get a restricted box.:angry:

In regards to Cloud9's question, the bike is completely stock(other than a corbin gel seat I put on the day before - humm
rock.gif
).  Only maintenance done and the recall of the cam tensioner.  It is the oil assist style tensioner with an oil line running to it.  It is at a dealer who is trying to understand why it blew.  It also has never been on a track.  I bought it new so I can be certain of all of this.

APE manual....keep it adjusted yerself.....

I know,I know.....monday fuggin' mornin' quarterback...

hav a properly tightened 1.....RSD.

Back