Blowing the lid off

Tht is actually very interesting, thanks for the post. I have a HJC and it scored really decent. I was surprised to see how some of the higher priced helmets are really close to the same protection as a few of the middle priced helmets.

Not this BlowHard Piece of crap again... Just remember when reading this article that Motorcyclist has an agenda to sell LOTS of magazines. The more controversy they can create the better. And bottom line, you GET what you pay for. No exceptions.

Not this BlowHard Piece of crap again... Just remember when reading this article that Motorcyclist has an agenda to sell LOTS of magazines. The more controversy they can create the better. And bottom line, you GET what you pay for. No exceptions.
I'm with you on this one Rev,jeez.....a 11-12 thousand bike,your head,why trust it to a 90-100 dollar helmet,IF they were really that good,you would see prostock (car) people wearing them,NASCAR,Moto GP, CART,F-1,and the list goes on.I just dont understand why some one would buy a Ferrari and put pep boys brand tires on it,its the same thing only more importantly.....its your head we're talking about! When was the last time you saw a Shoei,Arai or Suomy helmet banned from a racetrack?

Some of these "high end" helmets are like like Harleys, Big name but...

<!--EDIT|boribusa69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155934956 -->

lurk.gif

+1
+2 I am not about to buy a cheap helmet, but I also do not want to pay for a name.... I did alot of research when I bought mine. It was $275. It has a great rating. I agree a $90 helmet from Walmart or PEP Boys is not the way to go, some of these helmets that have the whole front piece slide up are stupid.... I just want to see the facts on some of the $500 + helmets to prove to me it is better than the mid price helmets...

Not this BlowHard Piece of crap again... Just remember when reading this article that Motorcyclist has an agenda to sell LOTS of magazines.  The more controversy they can create the better.  And bottom line, you GET what you pay for.  No exceptions.
Oh yes it's back!
oh god..is it the same one that preaches that a $69 helmet from pep boys is better than suomy,arai,hjc,scorpion and the same article where despite numerous attempts to contact them that OGK, Shoei and Simpson refused to participate in?...."that".....motorcyclist magazine helmet test?

Dear god....please tell me it isn't so.
wow.gif

Biggest difference in High Price helmets (that I have found)  is comfort
tounge.gif
. More comfortable interior padding with more or better attachments
wink.gif

Interesting article, lot of info. Understand the theory, I guess, of where they're going. I believe fit/mold design around an individual's head pay as big a role in proper energy dispersement. If it don't fit good it ain't gonna work. Arai helmets have fit me like they were made for me. I try others every once in a while. Arai just fit me. Comfortable, snug, never pinch, no headache, no sweating. no or little buff @ high speed, that's why I buy them. And I got a closet full of them. I also think they have protected my squash the few times it's bounced off the pavement. ay, I think, what were we talking about again. Darn I hate it when that happens. I most helmets are good, it's the fit to the person that makes the big diff. just my .02(except maybe Petboys)

<!--EDIT|fasttoys1
Reason for Edit: "Can't spell this late at nite, must be that stiff Arai"|1155958650 -->

Biggest difference in High Price helmets (that I have found)  is comfort
tounge.gif
. More comfortable interior padding with more or better attachments
wink.gif
I agree the cheap helmets may protect your nogin better but they are so uncomfortable you would never wear them. They are loud they lift up at speed and look cheap. I currently have an hjc and it is as cheap as I will ever go. My next helmet is going to be a shoei x11. I wore my freinds and they are awsome.

I guess everyone’s definition of cheap are within that individuals budget. I personally think if I’m going to spend big bucks on mod’s, such as an exhaust system upwards of two thousand dollars ($2,000.00), what the heck is the deal with shopping around and buying a Suomy Spec1R Helmet for three hundred and ninety nine bucks ($399.00).

Seems to me, like a lot of others have said, you pay for what you get!

I’ll speak for myself; My Suomy Spec1R Helmet is like wearing a baseball cap. It is very comfortable, and doesn’t bother me a bit.

Hopefully I made the right choice, and I hope I never have to find out if I did.

Matt

If this is the same article that was in the print version of the magazine last year, it seems to me that the main thrust of the story was that perhaps the Snell standard does not provide the best possible protection for your head.

It's plainly obvious that the more slowly you can dissipate the energy of a crash, the better chance your noggin has of surviving intact. Why do cars have crumple zones and collapsable steering columns now? So that the energy is dissipated BEFORE it gets to your body. The Snell standard requires such a hard padding that more of the energy is transferred into your head than would be the case with a helmet with softer padding.

I didn't come away from the article thinking I needed a $99 helmet, but the story did convince me to pay close attention to the helmet I do eventually buy. (It's hard to get motivated to spend big $$$ on a new helmet when I rarely bother to wear one.) If there's something out there that will do a better job of absorbing energy than a Snell helmet will do, I'll certainly look in that direction.

Still, a Snell standard helmet is better than nothing.

Fit and comfort are the primary considerations for buying a helmet, in my never to be humble opinion. I'm willing to pay extra $$$ for a helmet that fits my bean really well.

Hello Shoei and Arai!

--Wag--

Exactly! A Harley is much better than your Busa. A Harley is better built, more reliable, will last many more miles, is faster and handles better.
But all that goes without saying because it costs twice as much as your Busa! No exceptions dude! HAHAHAHA!

Oh yes it's back!
oh god..is it the same one that preaches that a $69 helmet from pep boys is better than suomy,arai,hjc,scorpion and the same article where despite numerous attempts to contact them that OGK, Shoei and Simpson refused to participate in?...."that".....motorcyclist magazine helmet test?

Dear god....please tell me it isn't so.
wow.gif
Jinkster this is God.... It is so!

Now I have all the information, I think I'll make my own helmet out of a pudding bowl and some packing chips...

Back