Blais Cycle wired USB charger into my hazard switch today.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Got the 3br charger from Lurch a few months back. Since then I've been wanting to put a switch inline so I could turn it on and off at will. Today I took a ride to Blais Cycle to get the ecu flashed and map tweaked (see other thread for that) and while I was there they offered to wire the on/off power to it from my hazard switch. Never used it in three years so why not? Paul from Blais took the switch apart as well as the harness, traced the wires, cut and capped the light wires and then soldered the USB wires into hazard light switch and put it all back together. It only took him a few moments and I was there for another reason so I didn't even think to take any pics of him or it while he was doing it. Only have the after.

Well not much but it works either with key on or off which is neat.
Didn't even charge me for that little mod. Great folks.

Hazard switch out/off...no charge
303eb37d.jpg

Hazard switch in/on....USB charger on
4fca376b.jpg

Its small things like this that shops can do to keep customers happy and coming back. Its hard to find a shop that doesn't nickel and dime you to death. Also its a nice little mod that I haven't seen anyone do yet.

Yes it's one of those small mods you really appreciate.
Plugged the gopro in this morning and flipped the switch just to see it charge :)

Hazard switch... we have a hazard switch? :laugh:

That is a great idea and now that I have the GoPro I will find it even more useful. It's on the list. Thanks!

Just wanted to ask what made you decided to want to have an on/off switch for the USB cable?

Because of the regulator in the unit even if nothing is plugged in it draws power because there is always a resistance. So it needs to be wired to a switched power source.

Because of the regulator in the unit even if nothing is plugged in it draws power because there is always a resistance. So it needs to be wired to a switched power source.

Thanks for the info.

I always have my bike on a battery tender so I guess I shouldn't worry about it?

I have it wired to my FUZEBLOCKS.COM as a constant but it would be a simple fuse location change to change it to a switched source.

I did that a few years ago for my onboard air compressor. For a USB charger I think I would just tap a switched +12v source and have it be live whenever the bike is on.

Pretty cool idea, I read somewhere else they rigged their NOS buton up to the hazard switch

I really like the idea of this. I was actually thinking of hard wiring a 12v car port in the tail. Wish we had more info on this one.

I really like the idea of this. I was actually thinking of hard wiring a 12v car port in the tail. Wish we had more info on this one.

There are numerous threads about this powerport. Also Pashnit has info on his site or go to 3brpowersports.com for info.
PM with ay questions and I will get you guided in the right direction. But order from Pashnit, he is a site sponsor and helps out this site plenty.

There are many ways to do it, my 3BR is powered from a fuse block in my trunk. Cap helped me wire a relay so my fuse block only powers up when I switch on the key. I dont want anything powered while the bike is off.

Pretty cool idea, I read somewhere else they rigged their NOS buton up to the hazard switch

I use ECU flash for my nitrous control. I have an auto mode, and a manual mode. In manual mode I use the flash to pass button to activate nitrous. Of course this also adds the extra fuel only when spraying.

Back