Birdstrike

cutts431

Registered
Went for a great 100-mile ride this afternoon. Almost home, I hit a rather large bird which had been feeding on roadkill. Stopped at the next village to check for damage, and it had smashed the headlight cover, and made a small crack in the front fairing just where it meets the headlight, by the left ramair intake.

I don't know what to expect in terms of parts and labour to replace the headlight - I'll find out on Monday.

But I'm wondering what to do about the crack in the fairing. It's almost unnoticeable, and I'm thinking that if I don't go the insurance route for the whole job, maybe the best thing would be to put some kind of plastic weld behind the crack, and put a thin line of touch-up paint on the crack and polish it in. The crack is cigarette paper-thin, and an inch long.

The fairing is 08 orange - would be grateful for advice as to whether I could expect to achieve a good i.e. barely noticeable finish on the repair, or whether it's better left to a body shop to do. Concerns about clearcoat, and creating a worse eyesore than I've got now. And does Suzuki sell touch-up paint? They must do surely, but a bit of web searching hasn't revealed anything.

It's insignificant compared to some come-offs we hear about, but I'm sure we're all concerned to keep our magnificent steeds as close to shiny new condition as possible...

Feel a bit bad about the bird too - it looked rather magnificent as it spread its wings in its final moment...

Grateful for any advice.

I'm not certain if you're talking 'aesthetic' or 'functional' (will it get worse?) in your post. If it's the former, I understand but can offer no insight. But I can speak to the latter. I've had small cracks that are not to the 'edge' of plastics, before, and they have not 'spread'. Certainly, if you run a 'weld' along the backside of the crack, that ought to ensure it will not worsen. As for the front side, if there's any gap in the crack at all, I'd try running some 'filler' into it with finger-pressure, you know, forcing it in with pressure from your thumb (let's say), wiping the excess off so there's no need to sand. Might even use some bondo, tinted to the correct shade with your touch up paint. Whatever you use in this regard, make sure that it will not melt the plastic (and so not make an unsightly mess of it). When it dries, buff it. Perhaps seal it with some 'clear' clearcoat, then buff again after drying. It will take some time, but you could have success with such a process. But once again, it depends on your sensibilities. If you want 'perfect', probably the 'body shop'--or aftermarket parts--would provide the most reliable outcome in this regard. I think it was unfortunate this bird chose you to be its accomplice in its demise. If a bird had flown into me in a similar manner, there'd have been a magnificent 'mess' somewhere else...but then, I'm pretty skittish. Good luck with the repair. Alan

Thanks for your responses guys.

The crack is tiny and almost unnoticeable. I'll weld or araldite the back of it and see how tightly it closes up - it may not need any paint at all.

I've been quoted £290 for the headlight, which I think is about 450 dollars, and 2 hours labour to fit. Oh well, just one of those things...

Might wanna check with your insurance agent beforehand. Animal strikes are covered under comprehensive insurance. A buddy of mine hit a dear with his car, the car was fixed and there was no deductible or surcharge. His agent told him it's because it's considered a non-accident situation like theft, fire, flood, etc.

Might wanna check with your insurance agent beforehand. Animal strikes are covered under comprehensive insurance. A buddy of mine hit a dear with his car, the car was fixed and there was no deductible or surcharge. His agent told him it's because it's considered a non-accident situation like theft, fire, flood, etc.

I hit a deer with my car and the same thing happen to me. Best of luck

I've almost hit those friggin buzards before. . .some of them are huge! Best of luck getting your scoot repaired
Posted via Mobile Device

Those can be seriously dangerous. Glad it was only the bike.

:beerchug:

I almost got pegged in the chest a few mornings ago on my way to work. A few mph faster and it would have been a bad morning.

Thanks very much Erebus for this - I'll look into it. My insurance is comprehensive - I mentioned to the parts guy at the dealer the possibility of doing it on insurance, and he said Not worth it, they always get you in the end - lose no-claims bonus, increased premium next time etc. But this sounds interesting - I'll check it out.

And thanks to you other responders too - the job's booked in for Saturday morning, and the weather forecast's good for the weekend too.

I'm now seeing the whole thing from the bird's point of view:
(ghostly voice) "...I can't believe he's still whingeing about his ****ing headlight!!!"

should be covered on insurance i know my bike fell over in my driveway once wind picked up out of nowhere and she fell right over didnt cost me a thing insurance took care of it and my rates didnt go up and it didnt go on my record

if you find a cool little sticker you could put it over the crack or just leave it alone and if you see it get any worse then you can find a way to mend it or replace

Back