Big Boy Rules, anybody read the book?

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Big Boy Rules, America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq. I just finished reading it last night. The author, Steve Fainaru, is a journalist for The Washington Post.

I have to admit it was an interesting read and gives some insight to the internal workings going on in Iraq with private security firms. It was well written and one of those books that you have a hard time putting down. I do have mixed emotions about it though. Of course with the author being a journalist it is my belief that he was only telling part of the story and he most likely has a motive for telling the story the way he did. Journalists tend to only hit on the points that support their cause and beliefs.

I was curious if anyone else has read it and what their thoughts were.

big boy rules.jpg

Haven't heard of it. I probably wouldn't read it for the reasons you state. Thought about Black Water at one point, but never took the jump.

It isn't terribly biased and the whole book centers around the kidnapping of the employees of Crescent Security in November of 2006. The author had spent time with the group, including those who were kidnapped and later found dead, about a week before the kidnapping. Sorry if I made it sound really bad, it really was a good read if you are into those types of books and have any interest in the matter.

As with any story there is always more than one side, I have a couple more reads lined up which are from the mercs point of view and one does mention the kidnapping incident that Big Boy Rules deals with. I'm figuring, like anything, the truth is most likely somewhere between the two.

I know several guys as well that considered Black Water and several other groups but backed out after thinking a bit more about it. They were all married with kids so their senses came to them. If I were single I probably would have looked into it as well but had to think about more than just my desires. That's one of those jobs you don't need any distractions if you are going to do it and even then luck may be against you. One guy I know of that worked in my area before I was hired did take a job with Black Water and to my knowledge still works for them to this day. Guys that know him well says he never speaks of any of their involvements. I've met him a couple times but not well enough to even think of opening up that conversation. They are a very tight lipped group to say the least.

Back