Big Bore/engine rebuild questions

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I am having a 1363 kit installed later in the spring and have a few questions. I am curious what the consensus of opinion is.

Should I go with the Wiseco or the JE pistons?

Should I go with a intake cam on the exhaust side or new Web drop-ins?

The builders that I am talking to are claiming the same hp/tq numbers and the price for the build is w/i $110 of each other.

Before anyone says, "Why not a 1397?", here is the answer. I have done the research the 1397 bikes overheat and some can have starting issues. This set-up shouldn't overheat unless I am in heavy heavy stop and go traffic. We don't have a lot of that here and engine ice or water wetter will fix that. As far as the starting, a YTZ145 Battery is included in the packages and with ~100 more cold cranking amps, that shouldn't be a problem either.

I am looking for a bike that has more "UMPH" but I can ride it every single day and not worry about over-heating and whether or not it is going to start.

Thanks for reading and you guys let me know what you think.

Don

Interested in following this thread and your build.

Good stuff.

runeight...

(runeight @ Feb. 02 2007,17:40) Interested in following this thread and your build.

Good stuff.

runeight...
+1

Good luck with your build!
beerchug.gif

Don, don't know about the cam deal, but I have had experience with both Wiseco and JE pistons when we were running the sprint car. Both are very high grade products and we had great luck with both. If I was to have to pick one I guess I would go with the Wiseco, but both are really nice. Did Steve Smithers have a recommendation? By the way I bought you a nice shirt and I hope to get the Kanji and your name on it this weekend.

JE

but at the same time ...a stage 1 ghetto kit would net you more HP and be just as reliable without the heat issues.

(BusaCruise @ Feb. 02 2007,22:47) JE

but at the same time ...a stage 1 ghetto kit would net you more HP and be just as reliable without the heat issues.
I don't want a turbo on the bike. If my bike ever gets forced induction, it will be a supercharger. The power is much more linear.

Don

JE and wiseco's are both good..its all about how much you want to spend??

2 intake cams (which I have)are good bang for the buck..but if Your porting the head?go for the webs..

Funny..I had a 1397 and Im going to either do a stock bore drop in piston motor or 1363 Myself this season for all the reason You listed..My 1397 always started with the throttle cracked and the 14y battery..but blew a rod out of the front of the motor due to being low on oil and drag racing it..

so for Me SMALL MOTOR BIG SPRAY OUGHT TO DO IT!!!!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

(E-RACER @ Feb. 02 2007,23:55) JE and wiseco's are both good..its all about how much you want to spend??

2 intake cams (which I have)are good bang for the buck..but if Your porting the head?go for the webs..

Funny..I had a 1397 and Im going to either do a stock bore drop in piston motor or 1363 Myself this season for all the reason You listed..My 1397 always started with the throttle cracked and the 14y battery..but blew a rod out of the front of the motor due to being low on oil and drag racing it..

so for Me SMALL MOTOR BIG SPRAY OUGHT TO DO IT!!!!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
Thank-you for the input. I am not having the head ported, just new valves springs. My budget for the project is between $3500 and $4000. Both the builders I have gotten quotes from are in that price range including repairing the tranny and tuning. There shouldn't be any surprises once we get inside the block. I don't drag race the bike and the front wheel has been off the ground maybe 5 times since I have owned it, so I don't beat on it either. Everyone that I have talked to about the tranny agrees that it is 2nd gear and that it is one of those "Shid happens" things. With the way I ride the bike, that tranny shouldn't be messed up, but it is.

Don

beerchug.gif

what do You need to know??

And a good 1363 should be 185hp or more all day..I have 175 105ft TQ stock with just the 2 intake cams..

My original motor the tranny went at like 1200 miles..My now 04 motor tons of miles,240 RWHP on spray and tons 1/4 runs..knock on wood no problems at all!!

(E-RACER @ Feb. 03 2007,00:47) what do You need to know??

And a good 1363 should be 185hp or more all day..I have 175 105ft TQ stock with just the 2 intake cams..

My original motor the tranny went at like 1200 miles..My now 04 motor tons of miles,240 RWHP on spray and tons 1/4 runs..knock on wood no problems at all!!
I just want to make sure that I am getting the best bang for my buck w/o compromising rideability or reliability.

Don

Well for the $3-4k a Ghetto would be!!.....But you said You didn't want to go that route..a well built 1363 shouldn't give You any trouble!!

Everyone is going turbo..its like a Crack outbreak!!

There'salot of people with 1397's that are completely streetable/driveable. I think it's just a matter of having the right set-up.

To your first question, the JE pistons are lighter #1, they also have a lower compression ratio. Second question, the cam, a second intake with higher compression pistons wiil really only gain you 5 to 8 Hp, the web cams will do much more than that. Bang for the buck, i would just take your intake and install it in the exhaust side, and replace the intake with the web cam.
Now as for the 1397, starting issue, the best cure to fix the problem is to do the 24 volt starter mod, Schintz racing sells a battery that will fix the problem. And as for charging the second battery, do a search over on Suzuki Hayabusa.org, and there is a diagram on how to do this mod!

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
lurk.gif

beerchug.gif

(GIXERHP @ Feb. 03 2007,02:29) To your first question, the JE pistons are lighter #1, they also have a lower compression ratio.
While I have not made any changes, I was doing quite a bit of reading late last fall. I was thinking about going into mine before the season.

In the 1363 and 1397 versions, Wiesco had the lower compression ratio. In the std bore, JE has the lower compression. The difference is about a point in all cases which could allow a drop of 2 octane when trying to find gasoline on the road.

Make sure they get the deck height right regardless.

Brock has a pretty nice set of web cams that comes with his drop in stock bore kit. From comparing some numbers of the other stuff, they look like they would be pretty sweet in a 1363 without giving up much on the bottom. The Exhaust looks a lot like the stock Intake. I may be trying a set during the year in mine. With a stock bore or a 1363 for the same reasons you list.

Don,

You also might want to consider your clutch. Complete inspection of the plates, optimal stack height, replacing (and/or shimming) the OEM springs. If increasing spring pressure any at all, a slave reinforcement or billet cover.

Rick

E-racer -- that 3-4 grand includes a tranny repair AND labor. IF I went with the ghetto, I would still have to spend the $$ to pull the engine and repair that transmission.

Rick -- the clutch has been included as well. We are going to inspect it which it should be good with my mileage and the way I ride, we are going to go with medium duty clutch springs. Great input on the slave support/billet cover. I just need to start looking for that in a power coated black. No bling here, you have seen my bike.

Don

Back