Beowulf

SnapAttack

Donating Member
Registered
Did a search and didn't find this posted so sorry if repost.

Saw this with my son this weekend. OK. It isn't the Polar Express and my son is 9. Amaxing how much he picked up on and more surprising was the mature comments he made. If you've seen the flick you know what I'm talking about. Story was ok. visuals in IMAX Digital 3-D was OUTSTANDING. Frame of mind... let's not go there.

http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

We opted to not put ourselves through having our sons giggle and say "I saw boobies" over and over again, so we took 'em to see Fred Claus instead
laugh.gif

We opted to not put ourselves through having our sons giggle and say "I saw boobies" over and over again, so we took 'em to see Fred Claus instead  
laugh.gif
How about "I saw boobies in 3D"
rock.gif

You hit the nail on the head and I should have done a little more research... but my son really loves his dad right now.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
How about "I saw boobies in 3D"
rock.gif

You hit the nail on the head and I should have done a little more research... but my son really loves his dad right now.
laugh.gif
Oh, I can't imagine!
laugh.gif

My two wouldn't have been able to behave themselves if they were coming at 'em in 3-D
cool.gif

I'm sure you're "the bomb" around your house right now
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Story was ok. visuals in IMAX Digital 3-D was OUTSTANDING. Frame of mind... let's not go there.
I'd say my opinions are precisely opposed to yours. I'm curious to see how many people who have seen the movie have any experience with the epic poem. I'm talking about critical literary experience, not "we had to read it in high school and it sucked."

I think the story itself, not the plot (yes, there is a difference) was wonderful. I'm always fascinated by adaptation and revision of literature, and when an author is able to put his own stamp on an established story I will applaud his efforts regardless of whether I feel the film does the original work of literature any justice or disservice.

The backstory that the film implies paints us a completely different picture of Beowulf and Hrothgar as flawed human characters. Gaiman is clearly dealing with the WHY of these characters rather than just the action we're presented with in the original poem. The story is almost Shakespearian in its tragic mode, which is vastly different from the mostly linear and simplistic epic poem. But the film's plot (i.e. the action that occurs on the screen) is almost hilarious in its banality.

As for the CG effects; didn't you feel as if...yeah ok, it's polished and pretty and the technology used to make it so is impressive...but it's all been done before? Peter Jackson did it often in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and again in King Kong, George Lucas did a great deal of it in the Star Wars prequels, Zemeckis himself already did it in The Polar Express.

Personally, I see Robert Zemeckis as a talentless apologist who only describes himself as an "experimental filmmaker" when his movies tank because he thinks Hollywood executives equate "experimental" with "not very popular." Some of his early writing was wonderful, and Back to the Future remains one of the greatest movies in cinematic history. But I think he's outgrown his usefulness in the industry. I don't think we're ever going to see another Lift or Used Cars from this man.

I think Beowulf proves, once again, that even given a wonderful screen play by Neil Gaiman, technology that would make interstellar travelers gape in wonder, and a cast of reasonably talented actors, he is no longer capable of making a good film.

Story was ok. visuals in IMAX Digital 3-D was OUTSTANDING. Frame of mind... let's not go there.
I'd say my opinions are precisely opposed to yours. I'm curious to see how many people who have seen the movie have any experience with the epic poem. I'm talking about critical literary experience, not "we had to read it in high school and it sucked."

I think the story itself, not the plot (yes, there is a difference) was wonderful. I'm always fascinated by adaptation and revision of literature, and when an author is able to put his own stamp on an established story I will applaud his efforts regardless of whether I feel the film does the original work of literature any justice or disservice.

The backstory that the film implies paints us a completely different picture of Beowulf and Hrothgar as flawed human characters. Gaiman is clearly dealing with the WHY of these characters rather than just the action we're presented with in the original poem. The story is almost Shakespearian in its tragic mode, which is vastly different from the mostly linear and simplistic epic poem. But the film's plot (i.e. the action that occurs on the screen) is almost hilarious in its banality.

As for the CG effects; didn't you feel as if...yeah ok, it's polished and pretty and the technology used to make it so is impressive...but it's all been done before? Peter Jackson did it often in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and again in King Kong, George Lucas did a great deal of it in the Star Wars prequels, Zemeckis himself already did it in The Polar Express.

Personally, I see Robert Zemeckis as a talentless apologist who only describes himself as an "experimental filmmaker" when his movies tank because he thinks Hollywood executives equate "experimental" with "not very popular." Some of his early writing was wonderful, and Back to the Future remains one of the greatest movies in cinematic history. But I think he's outgrown his usefulness in the industry. I don't think we're ever going to see another Lift or Used Cars from this man.

I think Beowulf proves, once again, that even given a wonderful screen play by Neil Gaiman, technology that would make interstellar travelers gape in wonder, and a cast of reasonably talented actors, he is no longer capable of making a good film.
Yeah... that's what I was originally going to post but lost my train of thought
laugh.gif

Nice spin on the flick...

On the CG's,,, yeah, it's been done before and it will be copied again because for the average "might catch a movie out twice a year" guy like me... it rocks.

I seen it with the wifey. I liked it and she did too, but a little too gory for her.

My question, when he was racing the swimmer and was taken down by the last sea monster...was she the same one who he later bedded? If so where is that child?

BlueHaya I was thinking the same thing. I just don't know.

My wife and I both loved the movie though. The 3D was pretty incredible and just like "Snap" we only see a movie a few times a year. I thought it was well worth the time and money.

This is the third Beowulf story we have seen on film/DVD and so far is the best.

I look forward to seeing it. I loved the poem and want to see how it's been adapted this time.

I have been wanting to see this. Then I heard on the radio the other day that it being shown in 3D now I for sure have to go see this movie. I have not seen a 3D movie in forever.

The story was ok. It was like watching a video game for 2 hrs. Not impressed with the animated boobies. Not even in 3-D. Real boobies would have been a different story though. The 3-D effect was absolutely amazing. It has definately come a long way. I wouldn't take my 8 or 4 year old sons to see it.

i seen it over the weekend in the local movie house not in 3D.
i would go see it again if i can find a 3D movie house close by.
it was amazing to me- i really enjoyed it but then again i'm 60
years old and don't get out much. now i'm ready to buy a gaming system and try guitar hero,rock band, and some shooter games. what do y'all recommend: playstation 3, x-box, or sony wii?

now i'm ready to buy a gaming system and try guitar hero,rock band, and some shooter games. what do y'all recommend: playstation 3, x-box, or sony wii?
Actually it's the Nintendo Wii, not the Sony Wii.

All three of them have their good points and bad points, but the Wii seems to be the runaway hit of the three.

If you're going to buy an X-Box 360 I'd suggest you research "red ring of death." No, it's not a game. It's a very serious hardware problem that a lot of people have faced. Given Microsoft's historical inability to provide support after the initial purchase, it's a fair bet that most of these people's problems are not going to be solved.

The Playstation 3 has its own horror stories, and Sony has not exactly been tops in the customer service department of late either.

now i'm ready to buy a gaming system and try guitar hero,rock band, and some shooter games. what do y'all recommend: playstation 3, x-box, or sony wii?
Actually it's the Nintendo Wii, not the Sony Wii.

All three of them have their good points and bad points, but the Wii seems to be the runaway hit of the three.

If you're going to buy an X-Box 360 I'd suggest you research "red ring of death." No, it's not a game. It's a very serious hardware problem that a lot of people have faced. Given Microsoft's historical inability to provide support after the initial purchase, it's a fair bet that most of these people's problems are not going to be solved.

The Playstation 3 has its own horror stories, and Sony has not exactly been tops in the customer service department of late either.
wow thanks. guess your recommending to go with the nintendo wii.

wow thanks. guess your recommending to go with the nintendo wii.
Actually I'm recommending to do some serious independent research before spending that kind of coin on any video game system. Find out the kinds of games you want to play, decide what level of graphics capability you'll be satisfied with, and make sure you take into account that a lot of these consoles have been giving their owners trouble. Then make your decision based on the available data.

But yes, if I were the one making the decision I'd probably go with the Wii.

Back