BEEN RIDING ON THE AUTOBAHN OR ANY OTHER NO-SPEED-LIMIT ZONE?

OB_jan

Registered
Yes Dirty Pete :)I drive a lote on the autobahn I live only twenty kliks from it so I make a tankstop every ride i make almost the gasoline is cheaper there as in HOLLAND.
I have last made a trip to the world superbike race at the nurburgring a trip of total of 800 km with a few friends all bikers [racers] what a blast that day I have never have made trip with suchs high speeds every were over 200 kph plus topspeed so now and then we were cruising speeds as 260 kph or 285 kph and me ofcourse so now and then 320 kph then you thing so now and then about youre neckmuscels and a higher windscreen also of the danger of an accident ofcourse!!
I even soon after my breaking period racet a porche 911 new model an he went for it very fast car by the way but i past him at 300 kph on my speedo and he stucked his thum up to me and after speeding down ive stuck three fingers up and he stuck up his thum again, laughingt,nice german fellow
When you have more questions ask I am glad to anser!!hehehe .lol :)

JAN

Jan...and it's all perfectly legal.

I'm green, no make that blue, with jealousy.

Whenever we in North America go 300 kph or more, the little devil on our left shoulder laughs with glee, but the angel on the right shoulder shouts over the windblast "You going to lose your licence and your Busa if you don't slow down right now!"

Kinda takes some of the fun out of supersonic travel.

I hear you Pete...i'm jealous as hell too!!
What a nice road to live near for being a speedfreak.
I would like to CRUISE at 100mph.
Is there any highway in the states with no speed limit?
If so,i'll be moving.

Any of you members in Europe had the opportunity to ride your Busa on the Autostrada, Autobahn or any other routes that let you keep the hammer down legally?

If you could describe what it's like, it would be a great vicarious thrill for us poor, over-regulated North Americans.

I've driven a Mercedes on the Autobahn, but the stupid cage would only make 140. There were 911 turbos and Ferraris cruising by like I was parked.

Is it Wyoming or Montana that has no speed limits on some roads during the days? I'm not positive but I heard that such a thing has happened.

If it is so, I suspect it's because the cost of trying enforce limits in the middle of nowhere is not feasible for the state(s) that have it.

Sorry guys....don't mean to upset you...but like Jan, I live very close to Germany (15 km) and quite often find myself having a bit of sport with Porche's and Ferrari's, along with various ducati's etc.
I must say that most of them know how to appreciate the speed I go to fly past them....it's good fun, but the surface can be rough. I've managed 180mph a couple of times.
So remind me.....what's 55mph feel like ????

I used to live in the UK (for 26 yrs) then i moved to the good old USA. I enjoyed "flying" down the UK Motorways, German Autobahns, & French Autoroutes at max speed on my ZX-10 about 175 mph on the optomistic clock. The problem with Europe is that gas is about $5.00 per gallon, bikes are about 25 - 50% more and insurance costs are horrendous! The place is congested and the weather sucks! So even if you can go unlimited speeds, not very often because of the congestion or shitty weather, it is very expensive to do so! I now live in Florida, lovely year round biking weather, cheap bikes, gas, insurance and a lot less congestion. I also live within 15 miles of a 4 mile stretch of highway with no cops, no intersections and no traffic and can go top speed all day long for a lot less money! I have consistently maxed out the bus at between 10000 and 10300 rpm about 195 - 200 mph on the clock. I am waiting for cooler weather to go faster. I dont miss Europe in any way, shape or form.

Well, in Portugal there is a speed limit of 120 km/h in the Autoestrada but most of the bikers don't respect it.
There are a few police cars trying to nail you, but everybody knows what they loke like - white Subaru Impreza's - and besides, they have to get behind you for a couple of miles, and videotape your vehicule with a special camera equiped with radar.
Now try to do that to a Busa!! :)

Manuel aka MadFox

[This message has been edited by Manuel (edited 09 September 1999).]

I know what the speedo said, but i may have been mistaken on the taco. I try not to spend too much time looking at the guages at that speed! We are talking optimistic speedo's here?

Just trying to see how fast I was going up high. The first couple times I kept flicking my eyes down to the speedo, but figured that if the speedo wasn't right, why look at it.?

So I printed a list of JeffW calcs and put them in my map holder.

Now when I go high I flick my eyes to the taco and I also shift with it. Before I let off the throttle in 6th I check the taco.

I have one road that I feel pretty safe on. It's almost 2 miles long and theres water on both sides. If I start at close to the beginning and shift at about 10,250 rpm I've gone fast many times, but once I went around 10,000.

Here's a nice trick I've always used for full throttle shifting, but never thought to pass on to you guys.

Not ever wanting to use the rev limiter as a guide because it takes you way over full HP production, I put 1/4" pieces of YELLOW Dymo label sticker tape at the optimum shift points on my SPEEDO.

That way, I don't have to read bobo. I only glance at the speedo and when the needle hits the yellow tape, I shift (actually a touch before to compensate for reaction time.)

It's all about minimizing rider work load!

Dirty Pete I have visited the states on a few occassions and 18 months ago was in Montana during May and loved it .No speed limit when we were there. I remember the speed sign read prudent and night was limited to 60mph as I recall. We at one time were cruising at 85mph and cars were passing us as though we were standing still, not a lot of traffiic and beautifull scenery. We also have a highway in the Northern Territory of Australia which doesnt have a speed limit and a few years ago used to have a race whch was our own Cannon Ball Run but it was cancelled after a few people were killed .One section of the road I believe is over 150 klms( 90 miles ) long dead straight not one bend .A few of the car makers test there cars in the area,so such places do exist. I hope I havent bored you all . Regards.

Dirty Pete I have visited the states on a few occassions and 18 months ago was in Montana during May and loved it .No speed limit when we were there. I remember the speed sign read prudent and night was limited to 60mph as I recall. We at one time were cruising at 85mph and cars were passing us as though we were standing still, not a lot of traffiic and beautifull scenery. We also have a highway in the Northern Territory of Australia which doesnt have a speed limit and a few years ago used to have a race whch was our own Cannon Ball Run but it was cancelled after a few people were killed .One section of the road I believe is over 150 klms( 90 miles ) long dead straight not one bend .A few of the car makers test there cars in the area,so such places do exist. I hope I havent bored you all . Regards.

Buddha, in the 60's and early 70's there was never a speed limit on a lot of highways in Montana and maybe some other plains states. They put in the national 55mph limit with the gas shortage in 1974.

When the Republicans took over Congress in 1994, that was one of their things for sending power back to the states and local governments. They removed the federal limit, and Montana went back to the way it was before.

The practical benefit is that if you live a hundred miles from nowhere, you can get where you need to go a lot faster if you can go 80 or 90 than if you have to go 55.

But yes, there are roads with no speed limit there. And yes, it's pretty fun. That is where I damned near hit an owl while hauling ass.

Back