Beds And Pillows (for The Chemically Sensitive)

TheAtomicAss

Registered
I'm searching for a new bed, and a new pillow. Not an easy search, for this reason: I am one of those people who is sensitive to chemicals.

Previously my bed was a hand-me-down queen that my parents had already put 10+ years into, and I had little trouble with that. It was quite worn out when I decided to move out of my parents house the first time in 2008, so I didn't take it with me, and upon returning a year later (thanks government, really loved that missing 5 years of my career) I simply didn't have room as I'd expanded a bit in my possessions.

Since then I've been sleeping on the floor (sleeping bag + comforter) because that's all the room I can spare. I've never liked down/cotton-fill pillows very much for their tendency to flatten out right where my head is, so I tried a memory foam pillow. FANTASTICALLY comfortable. Problem being is that it taught me how sensitive I am to polyurethane foam. It wasn't a quick tutoring, either, I stuck with it for over 2 years of waking up with headaches, and when I finally got rid of it, the smell appeared to be only slightly less when compared to a new pillow in the store.

This led me to search around for alternatives, and one of the things recommended as a direct replacement for memory foam was buckwheat. (the pillow is filled with buckwheat hulls) This is okay, for a while, but it's not nearly as soft as memory foam, is very noisy, and after the hulls break down it can get pretty hard. Because of this, I've ruled out the possibility of getting a full buckwheat bed.

I may be forced to return to using down/cotton-fill for pillows, but this leaves me with zero mattress options. Every single inner-spring mattress has polyurethane foam in the top, above the springs, which I can smell on the floor models.

Does anyone know of alternatives that I may not have come across in my searches?

Back