BAD DAY!!

OB_falcon fool

Registered
I woke up this morning to the spring sun warming my face through my bed room window. It only took a couple seconds to realize it was Sat. and I had a full day of riding to tackle. I dressed quickly and as I went through the kitchen toward the garage, I slowed just a bit to grab a donut and a cup of coffee. As the garage door opens, I see the love of my life, my Busa Baby.

I proceeded with the morning worship and the ritual of rubbing her down with my secret cleaning/ polishing ointment….1 part Honda cleaner, 1 part WD-40, 1 part lemon Pledge. As I was gently caressing her near the control center I saw it. The fluid in the clutch master cylinder was DARK!! Great fear struck my heart and I knew I had to rush her to the rehab center, a.k.a. Bottom of the Hill Suzuki.

I quickly don my helmet, jacket, gloves and all that a soldier would take to war and pulled out of the driveway. Cruising alone at a relaxed speed, just enjoying the deep purr of the big engine and the warmth of the early morning sun.

Then it started. Just as I approached the crest of mountaintop, she cut out! Fired back up and cut again only to fire up the 2nd time. This really POed me and in a fit of rage I let her have it. I mean I really kicked it in. 100,110,160,200,215 MPH …as indicated, but knowing that it was probably only a 194 mph as the Busa speedometer is as generous as the Red Cross at a disaster area.

I am at the crest now and just passed to the downhill side of the mountain and to my great surprise the road is wet and shiny as a newborn’s bottom. The off spray was starting to collect on my shield and my vision was now limited. I started to slow her with the front brakes when the brake lever came all the way to the handle bar. The water had caused my fronts to go. WHAT TO DO? Gear down!!! Then when I stretched out my fingers for the clutch lever it fell off. WHAT TO DO? Gear down anyway!!! Pushing on the shift lever hard for a handful of times and then I get it…..FALSE NEUTRAL. Try again!! Bang..Finally it went in, the bike shook and a resistance was felt for only a short time and then I was free again. Looking in the rear view mirror I saw the RK lying in the highway like a golden diamond back rattle snake. WHAT TO DO?? One option left…the rear brake. I panicked and jammed the rear pedal to find nothing. The leaking battery acid had eaten the rear pads for lunch yesterday; all that was left was the dirty plates. Leonard Skinard comes to mind…FREE BIRD!

Rolling every so fast I was a prisoner of my fear and mechanical failure with only one thing left in life and that being:.. ride this sucker till she stops! Praying to God that nothing would be in the road and telling Satan, this is another fine mess you have gotten me in. Like the old TV western Rawhide, I was “Rolling Rolling Rolling †toward my early morning destination, actually Bottom of the Hill Suzuki. Twenty-three miles later I coasted into the sloping store front parking lot of Jap Hap City. Man, I was mad as a wet sitting hen. I kicked the side stand down hard. Got off and started for the dealers door, when I heard a morbid sound. Crunching, cracking of plastic and the death sound of a dying Busa. Without a drive chain there was no resistance to rolling and that is just what she did…. roll off the side stand. I rushed inside waving my arms and talking like a Japanese auctioneer. I told Mr. Bottom all my problems and how life and death had flashed before my eyes. He looked at me with that Dec 7th look and calmly said “ None of this is covered by warranty, but we can do the cam chain tensioner recall while you are here.â€

We have a great bike; I would not trade mine for any thing I have ridden. I have learned much from this forum and all of you have been helpful. Guys like, Johnnycheese , Dirty Pete, Cycle Stuff, Frank Adams, Jeffw, just to mention a few are people that make this sport what it is. I am just glad that all the little quirks don’t happen to anyone Busa at one time. May Lady luck ride with you all.

Falcon Fool

[This message has been edited by falcon fool (edited 21 April 2000).]

FF man I am still laughing my A** off. At first I thought you were serious till the Front brake part thern I reliezed what was up.Happy Easter and my the Busa god smile on you. Sorry I forgot to measure the filter
I think it was67 mmI am not positive will remember tomorrow not at work today.

Thanks Johnny...I finally got the filter to turn 1 1/2 turns. I think my Yamaha filter wrench is a 67 and it is too small. I will order one from Suzuki as I have not been able to find one locally. I guess I am a little parinoid about the whole thing but I had one on a V-65 blow a gasket. Could have been real ugly, lucky for me I had loaned it to my brother. LOL

I suggest not using your secret cleaning formula again...sounds like it may be highly corrosive! Good Post!

FF i went out and bought a set of calipers just to measure the oil filter and the wrench. It is 67mm on the dot for both. sorry about the earlier post of 56mm, i tried to use two sockets together, their inside diamention. Two 28mm!!! Oh well I was wrong,but not this time......TMAX

thanks TMAX for the trouble you went to. The Yamaha wrench did not have any size on it. So I guess it was not a 67 mm. I was guessing. Again thanks...

Great imagination F.F. I'm glad I didn't read your post before my trek to work today.

I never would of cranked it on the straights if I had.

Aaaaaah the effects of the 'busa on the mind is a beautiful thing.

Ride hard....ride safe!!

Jok

Back