AutoCom Communications

G

Gentlemen:

Several riders in Arizona have asked me about my AutoCom unit and where to get some info on it so here it is:

Cycle Stuff
Chuck will be happy to answer all your questions.

Top Gear Accessories
Cris or Rick will be happy to answer all your questions.
518 449-8677

This is the Manufactors website
www.autocom.co.uk/index.htm

This unit allows me to integrate my cell phone or a transceiver, radar detector, AM/FM CD player and rear passenger intercom all at once. The optional power supply also powers the unit (9V) and my CD player (4.5V) but the unit can be powered by a 9 volt battery. They say the unit is good up to 160 MPH but who has time to talk at that speed :)

Ride Safe, RJ

[This message has been edited by Roberto Jorge (edited 19 April 2000).]

The problem with the AutoCom is the price!

I started out with a Chatterbox 90, then upgraded to the newer FRS system. These systems are good for the $. HJC just released a new noise-canceling headset ($90), which MIGHT make them as good as the AutoCom.

Here are my Chatterbox complaints:
-It mounts to your helmet (looks retarded), but because of the VOX circuit and cheap headsets you really need to have access to the controls.

>>I've got the extensions for the headsets and regularly stash it in my tank bag, but it is annoying to have misadjusted the settings and have to stop to make adjustments. I'd like to try one of the noise-canceling headsets, but that’s more money...the reason I didn't buy the AutoCom. Of course, I'd also need a headset for my girlfriend too $$$.

-No radar detector input! Why? It would have cost .50 cent to incorporate this.

>>>I'm no electronic engineer, but I'm experimenting with sending the signal through the Chatterbox via the headset input. Anyone know what I need to do to reduce the speaker-level signal coming from the detector to the mic-level that the Chatterbox is expecting?

-No cell phone input. Ok, who REALLY needs this? -It still would be nice.

>> I've also been playing around with this idea. Tapping directly into the mic in the headset seems sufficient except that the mic would be continuously outputting. The sound output isn't loud enough though and therefore I need to use the Chatterbox as an amplifier.

[This message has been edited by Bus13R (edited 19 April 2000).]

Back