Attention ATV riders

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
I have a friend thats selling a 2001 Polaris 700 EFI Utility quad. He's asking $3,200.

It comes with a plow and is pretty clean, he powerwashes it every time its used. It has about 800 hrs on it. I searched for a good forum (we are all spoiled by this one) and couldn't find nothing.

My question is do you know if this thing is even worth it? Other than 2-stroke dirt bikes or Banshees I have no clue about these things.

If I were going to buy a new one I would go with the Bombardier, its the Busa of quads.

kinda looks like this

05_sportsman700_360.jpg

He powerwashes it every time its used. It has about 800 hrs on it.
This actually could be a bad thing. Be sure and check the bearings very carefully. Shock and linkage bearings should not be overlooked. It is very common for over zealous owners to get carried away with powerwashers. They end up injecting water past the seals causing the bearings to rust and seize. It is very common in both ATVs and off-road motorcycles. I haven’t had a shop in over 15 years, but I used to see it quite a bit. Repars were very expensive!

He powerwashes it every time its used. It has about 800 hrs on it.
This actually could be a bad thing. Be sure and check the bearings very carefully. Shock and linkage bearings should not be overlooked. It is very common for over zealous owners to get carried away with powerwashers. They end up injecting water past the seals causing the bearings to rust and seize. It is very common in both ATVs and off-road motorcycles. I haven’t had a shop in over 15 years, but I used to see it quite a bit. Repars were very expensive!
I was concerned about this as well. As the suspension travels it does squeak and creak a bit. I'd have to grease everthing to see if it would go away.

The whole idea is that I can buy this quad and plow in the winter. Several friends have contracts with local developments and plow driveways and bike paths in the area. There is alot of money to be made if it snows around here. Unlike areas that commonly get alot of snow, where I live people just panic and are willing to pay $$ to get plowed.

I'd stay away from Polaris. I've heard more horror stories about their ATV line. Their streetbikes on the other hand are great. Must be a different group making those.

Price sounds decent, but I am not a big piglaris fan.  The quality of thier atv's are not up to the others especially Honda.

You will find folks that swear by them...I just always figgured that it was because they didn't know any better
tounge.gif

I have 4100 miles on my '02 Honda Rancher. Can't remember the hours...somewhere over 1000.

Bugger hasn't missed a lick....EVER. Never been to the shop for any reason. My Honda Recon, the same thing. Ya can't beat honda atv's.

<!--EDIT|mjn
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132945028 -->

Sounds like a fair price! as long as the condition is good.
If the deal doesn't go through and looking for a sport quad I have one for sale. Used 1 summer may have 15 hrs on it. tons of extras and all stock parts. never been apart and still has the stock plug.

the power washing can be hard on em as long as it was greased all the time and good maintenance shouldn't be a problem Ive got a500ho and never had any problems just over 3000 miles on it the clutches is something to watch. Polaris big down fall on the 700 is gas consumption and weight. but if its in good shape it definitely worth it
smile.gif
Nada appraisal guide doesn't list the 700 for 2001 but does for 2002 with a low retail of 3150 and a high retail of 4145

<!--EDIT|id_gunnut
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132950911 -->

Price sounds decent, but I am not a big piglaris fan.  The quality of thier atv's are not up to the others especially Honda.

You will find folks that swear by them...I just always figgured that it was because they didn't know any better
tounge.gif

I have 4100 miles on my '02 Honda Rancher.  Can't remember the hours...somewhere over 1000.

Bugger hasn't missed a lick....EVER.  Never been to the shop for any reason.  My Honda Recon, the same thing.  Ya can't beat honda atv's.
Thanks for the heads up. The guys I know that have atvs sink and bash em all day long. Two have not had any probs with their Polaris. I guess there still fairly new. Having owned many Hondas I know they are the top notch on quality but always weak on intial performance, but if I were to buy new it would be the new Bombardier. Fastest and baddest is my way to go.

Honestly Im not really in the market or else I would buy new. I just know a guy thats selling a Polaris. Thanks for the feedback.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132954601 -->

Here is my 99 Sportsman 500.
You can see my old Honda next too.
I know a little bit about using ATV's to plow with and in my opinion its not the best way to move snow around,because all you can do is push it.
Buy a nice used 2 stage snowblower that shoots snow wherever you want if plowing is all you truly want it for.

IMG_0186.JPG

I'd stay away from Polaris. I've heard more horror stories about their ATV line.  Their streetbikes on the other hand are great. Must be a different group making those.
I agree, I haven't heard good things about Polaris ATV.

2001 Polaris 700 EFI Utility quad?
Didn't know that Polaris made a 700 or EFI back in 2001?

They made the first as a '02 model actually.
Its worth $4100 retail price.
But - they have had problems with the clutch set-up on Polaris forever!

I have heard that you should keep an eye on clutches but haven't had a problem its mainly the weights and the holes wearing and enlarging right. mine had just over 3000 miles on it but 90 percent of those are hard hunting miles
smile.gif

Just get one of these:

www.wickedatv.com

1. click on the 'click here to enter' button @ top
2. then click on the 'click here for video' button..... very nice vid's!

Oh - and never buy Bombardier.

The Suzuki Kingquad will do 80+ MPH too. Fuel Injected 700cc. It is the real 'Busa of Utility Quads' hands down. Quality is also second to none.

Clutches will only give you a problem if you don't clean and balance them.
Just like anything else a little maintaince goes a long way.
I haven't had any major mechanicals with mine just done routine maintaince.

A couple yr old Kawi Prairie 650 will scare the everlovin shid out of most people! Darn things RIP! That new Suzi 700 is cool too...single cyl and tons of torque!

Lots of good choices out there...

Back