Attack of the killer sand...

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
director.gif

I have been teaching motorcycle safety for over 5 years now, and in every single class I ask the riders to tell the class about horror stories that they have heard about or been in relating to motorcycle crashes.

I do this to prove a point to the class that a lot of times a motorcycle accident could have been avoided by the motorcyclist and/or is a direct relation to what the motorcyclist did. It never fails that I get one student that tells me that they or someone they know was making a turn and sure enough there was sand or rocks in the road that caused them to fall off there bike.

I can not dispute that sand and rocks will not make you fall, it is a fact that it can. The problem I am having is there are so many accidents in turns caused by this phenomenon. I myself know of two friends that both have met this sand in the corners.

Now statistically speaking, most motorcyclist only accidents happen in curves. This is due to lack of proper turning procedure. This is the “Slow, Look, Press, and Roll Techniqueâ€. Slow down before the turn (which will allow for proper roll on the throttle), Look through the turn as far as you can (look where you want to go, not at the ground, curb, lines, or bumper of the car ahead of you. Trust your eyes, peripheral vision will see all that you are not directly looking at), Press on the handle bars in the direction you want to go (counter steering, it’s a wonderful thing), and roll (or maintain a steady speed) on the throttle (we roll to stabilize the motorcycle). Now this simple technique has worked wonders for me, my students who choose to apply it, and motorcycle racers.

Now back to this sand epidemic. The more I hear about “The sand†the more I wonder if there is such a thing. Is it the rider who is inexperienced in turns and not willing to admit that they were at fault? Or is sand really popping up all over the country in corners were we ride? I am starting to form my own opinion that it is not the sand that is causing our fellow riders to fall, but level of experience.

This opinion that I formed is not wholly out of just thoughts in my head, but actual viewed and heard evidence. Being a safety instructor (Rider Coach) I analyze every accident that I hear. I listen for key points in the story that help me identify where the rider could have improved his actions or where the rider just did something stupid.

For instance, a rider t-bones a car at an intersection, the car ran the red light and the rider had the right of way. The rider never saw the car coming. Who is at fault? The Car of course. But could the rider have avoided the accident? Yes, he could have. Knowledge is the key, if you knew that most accidents for motorcyclist involved with other vehicles happens at intersections, would you look at intersections differently? If you took a new approach to intersections, like slow down as you get to them, look both ways before going through it, cover your brakes (its ok to do that because you mentally know why you are covering your brakes, it cuts down reaction time. For normal riding, no don’t cover your brakes. Most natural reactions are to grab when spooked), assume someone might run the red light. Could this make you more aware at intersections and possibly avoid an accident? Yes it can.

Another example, man is sitting at a red light on his new busa and he gets hit in the rear end. Whose fault is that? The car of course. But again, could it of been avoided? Yes it could. Too many times do I see a rider sitting at a red light in Neutral with his arms crossed looking into space. (Don’t lie you have been there) By the time they hear the tires screeching it’s too late. Now again, knowledge is valuable, if they knew that the first place you should look when you stop is behind you and to keep your bike in first so your reaction time to get out of the way of danger is quicker, do you think that could of helped? Do you think that if they kept space between them and the car ahead, they could have been able to maneuver out of the way better? Yes to all of those. BTW, I have almost been hit 4 times down here, each time I saw them coming and was able to move out of the way. Three of the four times it was our Canadian friends from the north..LOL

Now back to the sand. I hear from these riders that the sand was unavoidable, it was all over the road. There was no way out. Do I believe it, with my training “NOâ€. I feel that the rider either took the turn to fast and lost control or the rider took the turn to fast for there experience and did the all mighty sin and grabbed or squeezed the front brake to hard to slow down while they were leaned over. They may have even down shifted or rolled off the throttle to quickly to slow down. What ever the cause, I don’t believe its all about the sand.

Granted there are some times that sand does pop up in the road, in my 19 years of riding I have only experienced it 3 times. Each time it was avoidable. One time as I went around the turn, I spotted the sand In advance, because I was looking through the turn, so I straighten the bike out as much as I could and I made sure my throttle was steady. This happened right after hurricane Andrew where beach sand was every where. Did I make it home, yes. Did I freak out when I saw the sand on the road and use the brakes, down shift or put my feet down (people do that, I have seen it on the safety range), No I didn’t.

So my final conclusion is that sand (if it does exist) is not the problem. The riders experience level (not only riding time, but safety training as well) is. If the experience is not up to par and the roads are unfamiliar take proper action to avoid problems. Also take a stand and admit that you made the error, and stop blaming poor innocent sand for your fall. If the sand was ever there to begin with.

rant.gif

Good points MSF. When I took my course the instructor emphasized not putting our bikes in neutral at a light/sign until we had a 2-car cushion and that has stuck like glue. Was riding with a newbie the other day and told him the same thing.

As for the sand thing how does sand usually get kicked onto the road? Usually a right turn a car veres off the road can kick sand into the right lane. But, if it's a left turn curve, how can sand get on the road unless it's intentionally put there? Again good points MSF. Things that make you say hmmmmmm.

I am a structural engineer during the week, but on the weekends I do the MSF thing. This fall I will have my own school in Boca Raton. Then it will be my full time gig. Tired of looking at drawings all day, rather do what I love..Motorcycles
biggrin.gif

I am a structural engineer during the week, but on the weekends I do the MSF thing. This fall I will have my own school in Boca Raton. Then it will be my full time gig. Tired of looking at drawings all day, rather do what I love..Motorcycles
biggrin.gif
Cool I want to stop by sometime when you get that going
smile.gif

Ridercoach...

I guess I have to be the one to throw a wrench into this. Sorry
wink.gif

I have gone down due to the "sand" (actually pea gravel), but worked out the same. I was turning left off of a highway onto a paved road leading to a friends house. I had taken this turn many times before both during the day, and at night, which this was. This could lend it's self to complacency I guess.

As I slowed and leaned into the turn, the next thing I knew, the front end washed out and I was sliding to the edge of the road.

I later found out that there had been road construction work within the area and the gravel was being hauled in by DUMPTRUCKS. They were spilling a little bit each time they came in/out. Like I said, the road was always clear before, so I "assumed" it was going to be again. Yeah, I know
smile.gif

Pea gravel is hard to see at night on a typical country road. Now I know to be more carefull and watch for the unexpected.

This was probably due to inexperience, but it does show how the "sand" gets on the road.

laugh.gif

stkr00, your right sand and gravel do happen. There are some cases, as you have shown, that are hard to avoid. But like you said, you assumed all was well. I have a saying with my students, if the fear ever leaves you 100%. Shut the key off and sit it out a while. Im just glad your here to tell us the story stkr00.
biggrin.gif

I have to throw this on in there, its the coach in me. "12 second anticipated path, always try to be able to see 12 seconds ahead. So dont ride faster than your headlight. Slow it down so you can see ahead"
tounge.gif

Damn instructor in me..
laugh.gif

Amen Coach!!!

A lot of folks never look at themselves and accept the responsibility for their own actions. I have noticed this to be especially true of the "Victim" generation... You know a lot of the under 25 somethings seem to have been weened on this "Poor Me" mentality...

Anyway, Again... Nice work Coach...

Thank you Revlis and you are exactly right. A majority (not all) of the people who talk about the sand theory, car jumping out of no where theory, and the UFO came down and threw me off my bike theory, have all been younger men who do not want to admit that it could of been there fault. Once you tell them that it could have been avoided or they did something un safe, they will jump off the handle saying that it was completely un-avoidable. You know my philosophy behind that.
biggrin.gif

BTW The ladies I have meet never denied when it was there fault, and most of them take full responsibility for there actions where they know they went wrong. Its wonderful teaching woman. No male ego to get in the way.
laugh.gif

sand is ALL OVER the roads where i live. if you ride in the northeast this time of year is horrible they sand the sh*t out of the roads you have to watch every corner and they seem to get it cleaned up sometime in june! i layed down a cbr on a corner that was sandy years back ,my fault no doubt (was riding too fast) but you have to be very careful not to get in over your head. some may use it as an excuse but its still a fact right now.

No one ever denied that it happens hp, its like you said, You have to be careful.
smile.gif

Its just that some people use it a lot of times as an excuse for there inexperience or negligence in turns.

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082432666 -->

Revlis and Ridercoach...

I do take responsibility for my crashes. All were before I was 18 years old, with no formal training (wasn't there in the early 80's).

I was just trying to describe how the "sand" gets there.
laugh.gif

I was young, dumb, and.....
wink.gif

stkr00 young and dumb? I thought I coined that phrase when I was younger. I wont even tell you guys how many times I dropped my first bike...
laugh.gif

Back