Are our ECU vin coded?

Ked0607

Registered
Just curious if the ECU are vin locked to the bike. Also is the mileage stored in the odometer or is it stored in the ECU itself? If we are flashtuned and have a warranty issue would they know if we swapped in a different ECU? I know that the WOOLICH can go back to stock but you would have to buy another bin file key to reflash it later after you revert it back.

Just curious if the ECU are vin locked to the bike. Also is the mileage stored in the odometer or is it stored in the ECU itself? If we are flashtuned and have a warranty issue would they know if we swapped in a different ECU? I know that the WOOLICH can go back to stock but you would have to buy another bin file key to reflash it later after you revert it back.
FALSE
If you return to stock in Woolich, by way of using Tools > Return to Stock, the ECU and subsequent bin file definition key is still keyed by your VIN (and your account). So as long as your VIN stays the same and the ECU is still coded to your same VIN, even after returning to stock you can still re-upload another map, saved map, new map, etc. This is different than in the past when ECUs WERE NOT coded to VINs. Even if you had a catastrophic failure and the ECU needed to be replaced with new hardware, provided your dealer codes the VIN into the new ECU properly, you still won't need a new bin file definition key. This is why on models we code to VINs even after dealerside recalls where the ECU is written over, you can still write to your ECU once after getting the bike home without having to use or purchase another key.

I don't think the bike is locked to a specific VIN - there have been a few instances where the ECU isn't coded properly with the VIN at the dealership and the bike still runs.

In the ECU there are a few addresses in ROM dedicated to the VIN, once such instance:
Screenshot 2023-01-27 12.27.33.png

I don't think that mileage is stored in the ECU as it would require a way for the bike to update some sort of counter in the ECU which just ain't happening to the best of my knowledge. Mileage should be stored on the dashboard itself.

FALSE
If you return to stock in Woolich, by way of using Tools > Return to Stock, the ECU and subsequent bin file definition key is still keyed by your VIN (and your account). So as long as your VIN stays the same and the ECU is still coded to your same VIN, even after returning to stock you can still re-upload another map, saved map, new map, etc. This is different than in the past when ECUs WERE NOT coded to VINs. Even if you had a catastrophic failure and the ECU needed to be replaced with new hardware, provided your dealer codes the VIN into the new ECU properly, you still won't need a new bin file definition key. This is why on models we code to VINs even after dealerside recalls where the ECU is written over, you can still write to your ECU once after getting the bike home without having to use or purchase another key.

I don't think the bike is locked to a specific VIN - there have been a few instances where the ECU isn't coded properly with the VIN at the dealership and the bike still runs.

In the ECU there are a few addresses in ROM dedicated to the VIN, once such instance:
View attachment 1661572
I don't think that mileage is stored in the ECU as it would require a way for the bike to update some sort of counter in the ECU which just ain't happening to the best of my knowledge. Mileage should be stored on the dashboard itself.
This is where i got the return to stock means you have to buy another file

This is where i got the return to stock means you have to buy another file

FALSE
If you return to stock in Woolich, by way of using Tools > Return to Stock, the ECU and subsequent bin file definition key is still keyed by your VIN (and your account). So as long as your VIN stays the same and the ECU is still coded to your same VIN, even after returning to stock you can still re-upload another map, saved map, new map, etc. This is different than in the past when ECUs WERE NOT coded to VINs.

Back