Arai RX-Q or Shoei rf1200

mynewride

Registered
Well its that time. I have been using my Shark RSR-2 for 5 years now and its time to replace it. I have always wanted to try an arai. The problem is that there are no shops around here to try one on. I have tried on the shoei rf1200 and really like it.

Does anybody have any experience with the Arai RX-Q?

I will be contacting my buddy Justin with honda east of toledo to place my order.

Buy what fits your head the best...Arai makes 3 different shaped helmets and if you cannot try it on for fit I would advise against guessing...I have owned 2 Arai's now and love them both, but I Just bought my wife a new Shoei RF1100 as it was what fit her head shape the best. Definitely try before you buy....and buy what fits the best...

Big E has a brand new Arai size large for sale. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/safety-gear/181131-new-box-arai-rxq-streak-size-large.html

yea I wud second that tryn it on. I went to cycle gear yesterday to try on the RXQ in a large and it was WAY too small. my bell Star fits fine as a large so u really have to try the helmet on b4 buyn

Well its that time. I have been using my Shark RSR-2 for 5 years now and its time to replace it. I have always wanted to try an arai. The problem is that there are no shops around here to try one on. I have tried on the shoei rf1200 and really like it.

Does anybody have any experience with the Arai RX-Q?

I will be contacting my buddy Justin with honda east of toledo to place my order.

our cycle gear does not carry arai. that stinks that justin does not work there anymore. Is there a preferred contact still or have we lost that sponsor. I have not been on here too much lately.

Supposedly you can just call there and tell them you're an org member. I haven't tried it yet.

mynewride - check out Motorcycle Closeouts they are located in Smithville MO about 10 minutes from KCI airport. Great prices on helmets of all brands, great customer service, free shipping and if you ever feel like making the drive over to Kansas City the store is very well stocked with merchandise for you to try on and find your best fit. Only maybe a 3 hour ride for you...

well I called honda east and talked to Eric C. He will still hook us up with discounts on safety gear. rf1200 around 463 and arai rxq graphics around 520. great prices. He said to contact him via facebook at: No floors, no doors, no problems.

wow thats a great price. I shudda done that. I think the RF1200 is hands down better then the Arai simply cause the Arai is so dam noisy and heavy! plus, Arai refuses to get on board with the photocromatic pin lock lens like Shoei has.

Arai came out with the pro shade system which is a little late to the party imo. who wants to ride around at nite with this shield popped up so u can see at nite. it will only make the helmet noisier and its noisy enough already!

wow thats a great price. I shudda done that. I think the RF1200 is hands down better then the Arai simply cause the Arai is so dam noisy and heavy! plus, Arai refuses to get on board with the photocromatic pin lock lens like Shoei has. Arai came out with the pro shade system which is a little late to the party imo. who wants to ride around at nite with this shield popped up so u can see at nite. it will only make the helmet noisier and its noisy enough already!

My arais are waaaay quieter than my shoei rf1100 was. Waaaaaay quieter. Weight was about the same and if anything maybe even lighter. I'm kind of on the fence about the pro shield thing but I can understand why they did. Point blank it's safer than an internal visor. As far as added noise, every review I've read on it states you can't tell it's there. The photochromatic stuff is way cool don't get me wrong but it's also pretty pricey and the few samples I've seen just don't get dark enough for my liking. I'm just rocking tinted shields and switch them out at night. I'll order the proshield for my arai and try it out. It's pricey but I don't think it looks too bad and the idea is decent.

I am totally drinking the Arai koolade though I'll admit it.

image-3032114471.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

image-3032114471.jpg

yea if Arai ever goes out of business I know I can count on you for an Arai helmet....:laugh::thumbsup: I asked the helmet guy at revzilla what he thought of the RF1200 vs. the Corsair V as far as noise goes and he said the RF1200 was a huge improvement over the RF1100 and far quieter then the Corsair V. and lighter which was kinda surprising to me. we put the Corsair V on the digital stand and it came in at 3.8 lbs which was .02 ounces heavier then the RF1200. which is surprising since the Corsair V is their flagship RACE helmet.

I also asked him why the Arai was so much noisier and he stated cause Arai refuses to make an indentation for the hardware for the shield and instead places it on the outside of the helmet which weighs more and more importantly traps more air therefore causing more wind noise. I don't understand why they do that? both are Snell rated so its not a safety issue. the guy there says Arai refuses to change it cause then they wud admit that Shoei has a better design and would have to copy it.

there is no shadow of any doubt that the Arai is better lookn and has FAR more badass color choices and I can see why u collect them cause they are truly works of art but its the factory riders that chose them colors and Arai just replicates them.

I've never used the Corsair V but every single review I've ever read on them state its terribly noisy. anything will be quieter then my Bell Star so no matter what helmet I chose it will be an improvement over wat I got.

Yea I look forward to ur review on the pro shade. I can't see how it wudnt cause more wind noise. the wind has to pass thru it and its mounted on the outside of the helmet. anything mounted on the outside of the helmet especially in the immediate front is gonna cause wind noise. there is no gettn around that. the photocromatic stuff is just far superior in every way. not to mention thats more weight ur adding to an already heavy helmet. when I compared the SR1 and the Corsair V it felt like a heavy brick! of course the SR1 weighs 3.3 lbs.

the Arai Corsair V is heavier then any of the other top end helmets and noisier with no PC shield available. other then looks I just don't see the value is spending $800 on an Arai. I didn't weigh the X12 but if the RF1200 is lighter then u can bet the X12 and soon to be released X13 will certainly be lighter AND u can get PC shield.

and imo the padding and material in the Shoei is superior to the Arai. its not nite and day difference but imo its more plush.

My arais are waaaay quieter than my shoei rf1100 was. Waaaaaay quieter. Weight was about the same and if anything maybe even lighter. I'm kind of on the fence about the pro shield thing but I can understand why they did. Point blank it's safer than an internal visor. As far as added noise, every review I've read on it states you can't tell it's there. The photochromatic stuff is way cool don't get me wrong but it's also pretty pricey and the few samples I've seen just don't get dark enough for my liking. I'm just rocking tinted shields and switch them out at night. I'll order the proshield for my arai and try it out. It's pricey but I don't think it looks too bad and the idea is decent.

I am totally drinking the Arai koolade though I'll admit it.

View attachment 276778

Corsair V should be compared with the Shoei X-12. Rxq/signet q with the RF-1200.

I don't know anything about the corsair V I'm a signet q head. Used to be a Profile head but they discontinued them.

As far as the shield goes the shoei shield is far from superior to the Arai. The arai doesn't have "clicks" it's butter smooth and stays where you put it. That was one thing I hated about the shoei when I tried to go to the rf1100 from my profile to save some cash. I sold the rf1100 lol.

I don't like taking the shield on and off but in my opinion the painted side covers makes the helmet look better than seeing the mechanism. I like it.

image-223564023.jpg

image-2017977238.jpg

image-223564023.jpg

image-2017977238.jpg

Corsair V should be compared with the Shoei X-12. Rxq/signet q with the RF-1200.
agreed. but, considering the Corsair V is their race helmet and the RF1200 is more of a street helmet I wud expect the Corsair V to be lighter at least.

I like how the RF1200 has the screws to adjust the seal on the shield against the gasket mounted to the helmet to ensure its tight and quiet. I do like the smoothness of the Arai shield tho I agree.

I don't know anything about the corsair V I'm a signet q head. Used to be a Profile head but they discontinued them.

As far as the shield goes the shoei shield is far from superior to the Arai. The arai doesn't have "clicks" it's butter smooth and stays where you put it. That was one thing I hated about the shoei when I tried to go to the rf1100 from my profile to save some cash. I sold the rf1100 lol.

I don't like taking the shield on and off but in my opinion the painted side covers makes the helmet look better than seeing the mechanism. I like it.

View attachment 276779

View attachment 276780

I have an RX-Q and it's been a good lid for me. I bought it almost 4 years ago and the only real "issue" I've had is one of the top vends broke. Not a big deal as Arai sent me a new one and as a just in case I bought a couple spares. I'll keep the helmet thru this season and probably replace it next year but I'm not sure with what. If not another RX-Q it will probably be a Corsair V.

Back