Any night sky photog folks around here?

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone on here shoot night skies or use a star tracker? If so what brand and what success have you had?

Curious minds want to know.

cap

I want a camera setup with a telescope but Santa ignored me. You ever shoot any planets up close?
I think up close is relative to the glass you have to magnify... Even the guys I know with 12" or 16" scopes those planets are still small and somewhat blurry.

I am wanting to start doing some deep space photography...

As a photographer, deep space photography is all about the equipment! You just can't do it without some expensive equipment!

But if you are just wanting to do long exposures of the sky at a normal distance, then its not too hard. Just need a decent camera and lens with manual control, plus a tripod of course.

A few examples from when I had a clear night. Never realize how many stars are out there sometimes.

1609291782238.png

1609291802777.png

1609291841748.png

As a photographer, deep space photography is all about the equipment! You just can't do it without some expensive equipment!

But if you are just wanting to do long exposures of the sky at a normal distance, then its not too hard. Just need a decent camera and lens with manual control, plus a tripod of course.

A few examples from when I had a clear night. Never realize how many stars are out there sometimes.

View attachment 1630951

View attachment 1630952

View attachment 1630953

With the rule of 500 I can only get about 18 seconds of exposure before I get trails which is why I was asking about the trackers....... I want to get at least 2 minutes of light.

Nice shots by the way!

cap

With the rule of 500 I can only get about 18 seconds of exposure before I get trails which is why I was asking about the trackers....... I want to get at least 2 minutes of light.

Nice shots by the way!

cap

Yeah, I have never messed with anything of that nature. Honestly just haven't put that much time into astro photography.

I have seen people do 30 min exposures, just so they can get the round trails. I haven't actually seen a tracker in use, I might have to watch a video on that!

Back