any jeep tj/yj owners/techs around

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Hey folks. The House Mouse's jeep heater seems weak.I just drove to the store,I wore flip flops on my feet and noticed the heater barely kept my feet warm on "Hi". In my Ranger I wouldn't have been able to stand it on "Lo".
Temp guage climbs to about 95 C. It's a '98 with the little 4 cylinder motor.

Do jeeps of this year typically have low heater output or do I perhaps have a thermostat that is stuck open?

Your thoughts?

TIA...RSD.

If your temp gauge climbs to 95C I would think your thermostat is fine. What may not be fine is your heater air blend door/flap control mechanism. Also, there could be a blockage of some sort inline or the heater core could be plugged up. Check the heater hoses inbound and outbound in the engine compartment. If they are not nearly as hot as the main radiator hose you have a flow problem.

Also, remember that cold air is denser therefore it settles "down". Hot air rises and this may have a lot to do with your cold feet particularly with flip flops. Not sure how much insulation is used in Jeeps but this could be a reason also due to not stopping cold from radiating into the cabin from outside the vehicle via the metal body panels.

If the cooling system has never been serviced, the heater core could be plugged up. If it's higher mileage, than that is usually the case.

If the cooling system has never been serviced, the heater core could be plugged up. If it's higher mileage, than that is usually the case.
Thanks folks. 150,000 km. Thats only 90,000 miles,with regular service done,but perhaps never a cooling system flush. When the House Mouse gets back,I shall have a look.

thumb_up.gif

RSD.

Projekt is right on the money. Also check the routing and connections of all the ducts from the fan motor, through the blend door housing to the vents. I like my air to flow.
super.gif

i had 4cl and it never got real worm in cold ass days the smaller motor just didnt seem to creat alot of constant heat on real cold days, service the heat systm and put a 190 temp them in it and maybe some cardboard in front of the radiaotr but watch your gauges
l_083bdf83f7f89ce2412f9890a1561339.jpg

I had a 4cyl 5 speed and the heat was awesome in it. I now have a 2004 LJ unlimited 4.0L auto and the heat is awesome in it as well. Helps when this Chicago weather acts up.

bad_jeep.JPG

guess i just had a shitty heater system in mine then..lol..i do get unbelievable heat in the 4.0 now good lookin rig blk

guess i just had a shitty heater system in mine then..lol..i do get unbelievable heat in the 4.0 now good lookin rig blk
I love the HID's and that bumper! I will be installing a winch and bumper this summer and that's the bumper I was looking at. Your jeep looks to be quite the crawler. Sucks that there isn't much crawling in the midwest.

thats about the milage when tstats start to fail. I worked on jeeps for about a decade.
Couldn't hurt to replace since you plan on flushing the system anyway. Not sure how hard it is to get to the darn heater core on one of those so hopefully it will clear up upon servicing and a flush.

phat..how much stretch did you end up with on that yj..im looking at going to 11o or so in the future

Back