Another "Only in America" story

My hats off to the old guy, for having so much spunk !
wink.gif

PS .....I have one in the yard too !

I realize there are rules in place, but I think it's nuts to not allow the American flag to be flown...for me, that's at the heart of the issue.

The 81 year old guy was on the radio today; he said they keep telling him that flag is lowering property values, though that wasn't discussed much in the article...

(VaBusa @ Dec. 12 2006,13:29) The 81 year old guy was on the radio today; he said they keep telling him that flag is lowering property values, though that wasn't discussed much in the article...
And that'll be one of their sorry excuses to take the poor guy to court . I hope he gets some support from his neighbors otherwise he might lose the dispute.
sad.gif

My .02 cents worth
wink.gif
, well it just shows people have NO idea what the Flag stands for, was fought for and many died for. Demanding it be pulled down is just down right disrespectful to every fallen Vet EVER ! Just shows how much our society and school systems have fallen down the slippery slope of ignorance we have as a Nation  
rant.gif

And to all you others::::::: MERRY CHRISTMAS  
super.gif

The best thing said about the topic at hand:

"You don't need a permit to put up the American flag," Trump said Tuesday. "The day you need a permit to put up the American flag, that will be a sad day for this country."

beerchug.gif

Sorry, just based on the article, I have to side with the home-owner association. The issue isn't that he is flying the American Flag. The association allows the flag to be flown according to the bylaws. The issue is he installed a flag pole in the common area without permission. How would you react if your next door neighbor installed a 15 foot flag pole in your yard without permission?

It has been proven over and over that associations what get lax in enforcing the by-laws of the community have lower property values than those that strictly enforce them. The old dude needs to fly the flag according to the rules he agreed to abide by when he moved in.

Unfortunately, I agree with both the City of Palm Beach and the homeowners association, at least in part.

I wouldn't want my neighbor just erecting a 50 foot high pole in the grass and tossing a flag on it and saying "done". High wind, rain, or the like and that pole could end up on top of my home. In addition, if you belong to a community with a homeowners association, you should abide by the rules.

Now, my exceptions to this are:

First. if the 50 foot pole on Trumps property falls, what does it damage? Trumps property, that's right. Are they not happy having him and all the other rich neighbors (some of whom live there merely to "live next to Trump) paying taxes on those huge estates? So what's the purpose in the permit? None, in my opinion. However, that is the law. A law which possibly needs to be amended from the sound of things.

Second. Why can't the homeowners association think outside the box here? Ask him to take his down, sure. However, can't they build a single flagpole in the middle of the community? Why not ask him and other veterans to pull "flag duty" and honor not just the Colors but also the traditions of the service and country they love.

Laws are laws but what has made the U.S. what it is today is this ability to adapt and overcome - not cramming legalese down each others throats which now seems to be the norm.

Back