Another new best last weekend

Dennis

Registered
I had a hard time on Friday because the air was good so all I could do was wheelie. Saturday I put a smaller gear on the back (44 tooth) and my two qualifiers were my best 1/8 times ever on pump gas. My reaction times were terrible so I didn't do much in competition. I've done real well in competition this year but not last weekend. Unfortunately this is a memorial race that is always 1/8 mile. I would love to have seen the 1/4.

Bike: Stock motor 08 Busa, 67", Rock clutch.

03Oct15%20eighth%20mile%20best_zpsnpe5jmyi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Air wasn't as good today. I should have changed gears, but still got some best 1/4 times on pump gas and MR12.

10oct15%20best%20quarter%20pump%20and%20MR12-1_zpsshzqz9gp.jpg

Nice passes man! I don't know about your weight, but if you back half anything close to what mine does, you would be close to this. Your 8th trap speed was a little higher than this pass of mine, but should have been pretty close.

pic001.jpg

You must weigh more than me as indicated by the mph. I went 8.628 on a 5.533 1/8 so I'm thinking my 5.509 would have been a high 8.50. Interesting how close our timeslips are with the 60' and 1/8 mile. You were quicker to the 330 but I caught you by the 1/8. My total weight is around 640 pounds, stock motor, 17/44 gearing in good air. How about you?

You must weigh more than me as indicated by the mph. I went 8.628 on a 5.533 1/8 so I'm thinking my 5.509 would have been a high 8.50. Interesting how close our timeslips are with the 60' and 1/8 mile. You were quicker to the 330 but I caught you by the 1/8. My total weight is around 640 pounds, stock motor, 17/44 gearing in good air. How about you?

I think the difference may be the rock. I'm about 155 suited, but on a 14R, stock clutch stock shifter. The shifter could be part of it as well. I had to go low 5.40's to finally go 8.50's. That is pretty crazy our front halves are the same. I don't know what sprockets are stock for gen 2 busa's, but i'm -1+2 on my bike. Total weight on mine is 673lbs.

I think the difference may be the rock. I'm about 155 suited, but on a 14R, stock clutch stock shifter. The shifter could be part of it as well. I had to go low 5.40's to finally go 8.50's. That is pretty crazy our front halves are the same. I don't know what sprockets are stock for gen 2 busa's, but i'm -1+2 on my bike. Total weight on mine is 673lbs.
I'm -1 +1 right now, normally -1 +3 in the summer. Clutch isn't a big deal since you cut the 60' already.

Ahhh ok. How much do you weigh? I actually have a rock waiting to go in my bike now, but going to wait until PMRA is done. I don't see it picking up much in the 60' but I think it will pick up in the 330'.

Bike is 465 last I checked, and I am 175 suited. Depending on your setup I don't know if you will see much better than the slip you posted with the Rock. I messed with clutch settings forever on my bike and finally came to the same conclusion as another guy who is quite quick. It almost doesn't matter how you set the clutch, the biggest factor by far is gearing. The more the better, up to the point you need to be longer to keep the front end down. At 63.5" I could not make the Rock faster than my hand clutch. Once I went to 67" it all started to work because I could put enough gear in it. Power is the other factor. The DA makes a noticeable difference. Going from 500 feet to 1000 feet (great air recently!) my 60' would go from 1.32 up to 1.34. I really should have gone up one tooth in the back for the 1000 feet of air.

I'm surprised you only go 153 mph at 155 pounds suited. I've got a spare bike with a hand clutch and it weighs around 510 pounds (45 more than my main bike) and I've only made three passes on it (buddy runs it) and I've been 154 mph.

Looked at your slip again. Your bike looks off in the back half. The rule of thumb is we should pick up 30 mph in the back half. I normally get 29-30 and a bit more on spray. Are you getting a good tuck? Maybe a little clutch slippage?

Man, whats really weird, is on most of the suzuki's I have rode pick up 30mph on the back half, but both my 10 and 14 won't. I have picked up 30mph on the back half once or twice on my 14, but thats it. It has been a best of 129 at the 8th and 156 in the 1/4, but it just won't back half like it should. Granted, part of it could be that I'm having to run 8psi in my back tire to hook. I just put a new clutch in it, first new clutch this season, and I have 95lb springs (stock is 65lb springs). Part of it could be that i'm foot shifting as well. I just hooked my PCV back up and will test this weekend and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks! I'm hoping the track will hold tomorrow and I think I can go new bests again in the good air. Unfortunately the cool temps will probably yield tire spin.

Im going tonight for 1/8th mile after getting mine back on the road without a tune really now. Walter is in Orlando all week so he cant help me. I just autotuned as best I could all week, using Richards RCC pc5 map for WOT since autotuning that isnt safe. I was going to put my two stage clutch in this morning but without a new set of discs, feels like I wont be able to tune it right, plus making a change right now when I am not used to it might not be the best. I should play around with it and see for a week or so before I track it. Last thing I want is something I am not used to or something I didnt expect to happen, say a hard hookup when I already thought I was hooked up at 60 feet or so. They have a top 10 bike competition, I just need a 6.5 to qual and then I can challenge #10 on the list. The top guy has like a WWF belt lol. He is running 5.2, 5.17. Slicked zx14 with enough spray to put a hole in the ozone above the track. Killer rider too, .001 RT when I ran him last time. Owns a bike shop, tons of time to tweak I am sure. Nice guy, loaned me some tools when I wheelied and broke my fan when I came down.

Its just a fun competition but when you do challenge, there is no amber. I rode an hour and 20 minutes one way there, was running behind and wasnt in the mental groove. I couldnt get traction and wasnt able to get my 6.5 I needed. In fact my first pass was so bad, I had a hard time not touching the line halfway through. I was still sideways going through flag and the logs look like it went straight to rev limit almost instantly after every shift. I was only able to get 2 passes in 2.5 hours. My second pass I put the stealth down to 10 psi and it helped a little but not much better really. I tried launching higher. I dunno, I need to pull that clutch and take a look and I may go to a 17/39 from my 17/41 right now, go to a hook up instead of the stealth. The "call outs" AND a bracket race was held and I was getting tired, just not my day. I will come back in a better frame of mind.

Yeah, the mental part is a big deal. A couple weeks a go I did poorly due to that but the weekend before I won three races including one car class. I know on a Friday night test-tune I won't do well if I worked all day so I try to take a half day vacation if I want to do my best.

What track are you running at? Typically around here on non points race days I can get plenty of runs. 17-39 is pretty steep gearing ... you are short wheelbase?

Back