Another luggage thread

AndySV1K

Registered
I know i know....

i have searched and thanks to the peeps here i have gained loads of info, but im still not quite there in terms of making a decision which way to go.

Im about to tourify the busa, heres what i have planned...

Helibars
heated grips (Daytona)
SW motech top rack for my Givi e450 box
double bubble screen (not decided which yet)

the problem is the side boxes.

Not sure how many types there are but my choices are two: -

either the sw motech contour rack and buy the v35 boxes

or

the new sw motech evo rack and buy other boxes (probably E41's)

As i understand it, the contour means i can only have v35 boxes and although very pretty are smaller than the e41's, this could be an issue, maybe not though (will reserve judgement till i see them) could mean the overall bike width is narrower though.

The evo rack will open up a choice of boxes, although to be honest i cant see me needing anything but the e41's.

both are around the same price, do i opt for better looking and narrower, or more box choice and bigger capacity?

are there any other differences between the racks, like how do they detatch? Ive seen pics of a rack taken off and just leaving a few mounting studs, that looked pretty good, i cant for the life of me remember which rack it was though!

if you have one of these racks, any chance you could post a pic of them from the rear, if i can get pics of both it will help to view the overall width and effect they have on the bike.

or indeed any other info that would help me decide!! :thumbsup:

Andy.

The V35's and the top case will easily hold enough for a touring trip. Warchild has a very sweet setup for long distance rides.

I've been on multiple five to seven day trips and have more than enough room....
Givi E21's and a small CooCase out back! This is by far the smallest set-up IMOP you can run. So, you shouldn't have any problems with the bigger cases... I even bring a full size camera (Nikon D80 with lens) on my trips!

What makes me want the bigger bags, is that i will be travelling 2-up.

plus i sometimes use the bike for business use, so having the space will open up the times when i can choose the busa.

come on chaps, any pics of the two motech racks, im sure im not the only one considering the options.

Andy.

Hang on and I'll get you one... Got to go out in a cold garage and snap a pic! Camera Phone won't be the best quality but you'll get the idea.

Ok... first pic from the side! You can barely see the two side mounts laying against the wall in the background.

This also has the CooCase quick mount still installed...

rack.jpg

Four attach points.... One by the foot peg, one by the tag, and two on the grab rail for EACH side of the bike. These are cam-loc style fasteners; Flat head screwdriver and a half twist installs them. Same with removal...

As to the distance the racks protrude from the bike without hard bags being attached...
Roughly to the middle of my aftermarket exhaust! Which brings up another thought!
You cannot use these racks with an after market exhaust! Well you can :whistle: but it will require some modification of the provided hardware and a fresh application of powder coat when your done.

KS, thanks very much for posting pics.

That cam-lock arrangement looks like the pic i saw of the busa with a rack removed, looks quite neat and doesnt make it too obvious that you haul cargo!

i guess you have the evo rack then that can take a range of bags?

does anyone know if the contour rack uses the same cam-lock set-up or is it either fitted or not fitted?

im getting there!! slowly, slowly catchy monkey!! :thumbsup:

Andy.

Just did it last night...SW-MOTECH rack with two Givi E360 sidecases. Will post more pics/info today.

P1030642.jpg

Here are some pics of my E41's on SW Motech and homemade trunk bracket.

101_6776.jpg

101_6777.jpg

101_6775.jpg

101_6774.jpg

101_6774.jpg

101_6778.jpg

Hope these pics help.

Jim

101_6774.jpg

Excellent thank you!

so thats the evo rack again, the pics so far give a great idea of scale and fitting etc.

Jkind, your motor looks pretty wide with those E41's on there!

i guess its hard to tell unless you see it in the flesh though.

now has anyone got a similar pic of the contour rack so i can make a comparison.

Jkind, how do you get on with the E41's? they look a good box, pretty big too so loads of space i guess.

Andy.

Ya she is a bit wide but I still seem to run out of room( need to learn how to pack lighter).

I only have 30" legs so I guide my foot over with my hand so I don't kick the trunk on the way over.

Jim

You will find a selection of cases and racks on twistedthrottle.com. I think the E41 cases are great and combined with a top case provide plenty of room for a 2-up jaunt.

Good luck in finding the right cases and racks. If I get mine on this week will post some pics of the side and back view.

BTW, Givi also has a kit that allows you to put brake lights on your top case . . .

P10100144.jpg

Handlebar conversion .Sw motech racks .E42 top box .E21 side boxes.
Side rails will accept bigger boxes but not v35 type and now also has zero gravity touring screen :thumbsup:

Newbus, your pic raises a new question, not necessarily for me but maybe for others wanting to fit luggage...

Arnt the stock cans sort of structural to the chassis? what are the implications of putting aftermarket cans on then putting a luggage frame onto it?

any stress issues with the fixings?

As yet i dont plan on swapping the cans (i would do it for weight, but dont really want the bike much louder.... well ok, maybe just a little!)

Andy.

Here is what i think i am getting for touring.:thumbsup:No luggage, no crap, Quick connect / back to stock in 1 minute:beerchug:

THIRD WHEEL TRAILERS.jpg

Last edited:
Back