Animal\'s half-naked Busa (A-TECH)

OB_Animal

Registered
Finally have pics available of my Busa with the A-TECH half-cowl pieces transforming the looks (improving it tremendously to my eyes).

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=108867&a=796742&p=22890339

Above is first pic, use next/previous or go to album if you wanna see more.

I decided to stay with the stock colours (for my '99 Euro Busa in red/black) but to change the 2-tone scheme in a way to make the air-intakes visually disappear at the front and to make the rear look less bulbous and have some things visually disappear there as well (like the missing LH passenger-peg/muffler-hanger for instance).

Being the terrible detail-freak that I am, I also changed a lot of small things that would normally have been in full (ugly) sight with those huge fairing sides gone.

All mods were done at once, starting somewhere last November and finally ending somewhere this last May, keeping my Busa off the road for half a year due to having to wait a bit longer than expected on several parts needed.

Mods include: A-TECH half-cowl fairing-sides and front fender TL1000 style, full Akrapovic system with race-titanium silencer, PAIR completely removed (TBR block-off plates), airbox flapper valve and all related stuff completely removed, floor in airbox cut away inside filter lip, BMC filter, Dynojet PowerCommander-2 (thanks Chucky), YellowBox, Michelin Pilot Sports, 44 teeth rear sprocket, DID ZVM X-ring chain, Scottoiler, GenMar handlebar riser, Goodridge braided brake lines front, Corbin saddle (extra height), Yosh digital oil temp meter/sensor, Brock clutch mod, clutch-line and wiring-harness rerouted out of sight, different coolant reservoir in different place, swingarm/brake-torque-arm/rider-peg-plates/RH-muffler-hanger all powdercoated black both for looks and practical reasons with regards to getting/looking dirty a lot less than that light/shiny aluminum ... and I'm sure I'm forgetting many more minor details.

Using PC2 map 007 for the time being and couldn't find time to lookup a Dynojet of the newer load-control type yet.

Bike's transformed by all the mods and really pleased with how it turned out in all respects!

Had some problems with the A-TECH half-cowl parts due to the fact that I was apparently the first one worldwide trying to match these to stock upper fairing and to fairing inners around tank and although this of course shouldn't have been an issue in the first place, the after sales service provided by A-TECH USA (a.k.a. KawAbuser a.k.a. Michael Millard who acted as intermediate to A-TECH Japan of course) that I experienced after having made clear what the problem was, can only be called exemplary and is definitely one of the top positive exceptions in my experience regarding running into problems with aftermarket stuff!!!!!

Hey Animal, tell me about your Akrapovic.Do you like it? Love it? Any problems? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. Is it easy to change oil?

[This message has been edited by WARBIRD (edited 17 June 2000).]

I have an Akrapovic exhaust and the oil change is pretty easy.Someone once posted that you cant remove the oil filter with the Povic,that is not true as long as you remove the Pair system when you install the Akrapovic.

I researched for months on which pipe I should get.When I finally decided on the Akrapovic no one had one in stock.I had to wait a month until Lockhart Phillips received more from thier supplier.I almost settled for a Yosh but I'm glad I didnt.With the Akrapovic,PC2 and my Airbox mod that I did I gained more than 10 horsepower.The PC2 map that I used (007) was way too lean for my bike so I'm still fine tuning to mapping.My bike is one of the few 1300 that have 163 horsepower at the rear wheel when it was stock.Get either the Akrapovic,Muzzy or the Yosh for your bike.I havent heard anything bad about any one of these exhaust systems.

Totally agree on the Akrapovic, it really is as good as it's said to be.
Seat-of-the-pants power feels quite improved (dyno-run will follow and I have one of all-stock after break-in version of mine to compare it to) and I love the sound as much as the looks.
Then again, I was forced to go with their race silencer after waiting more than half a year for the even quieter version that will be coming out for countries like mine and Germany and I doubt very much if I'll be allowed to run at that trackday at Assen that I've planned end of September with the amount of noise it makes. I know that many US listers have "complained" about the Akro being too silent to their liking, but in my country I'm risking heavy fines or even police taking posession of the exhaust with this silencer on it!

Gutsy customization there. Are you going to dress up the motor area at all...like putting in stainless rad hoses, wrapping pipes, chroming bits or painting the block, etc.?

Animal, The mods are great, I'm glad you dig the new look.
WARBIRD the Akro is awsome all around. I'm a lot more pleased with that mod than I thought I would be. It's not that the Blue wasn't a monster before the Akro, but now Blue stands on one wheel and the lope sound at idle couldn't be better - at least for this proud father.

DP: no, don't like the shiny bits too much, would rather make the engine all-black but not sure yet if I wanna go through the trouble for that (was quite disappointed when I saw that so little of the engine was black, all the pics of the pre-production Busa showed a lot more black).

Kurt: no, using stock ram-air-tubes underneath, so not available I'm afraid.

Back