Alright computer guru's again - how do I change

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Finally found a movie converting program that may work but it won't accept any file destinations for the converted movie with and underscore "_" in it. Well my luck is great because the name my computer is registered under in the system is justintime_2 so any extension it tries to save to has the underscore in it and wont work.

This is not the user indentity in XP it is actually what my computers registered name is. HELP ME FIX IT PLEASE SO I CAN POST COOL MC STUFF!
smile.gif

Try this:

Start -> Run: regedit

Expand the following:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

You can modify 'RegisteredOwner' and 'RegisteredOrganization'.

Try this:

Expand the following:

+1

...There is no way that you can change the computer name from the "Setup" ... it has to be done by editing the registry

Try this:

Expand the following:

Do you know how many people are going to go into their registry now..."just to look".
laugh.gif

This could be dangerous
wow.gif

The regedit feature gives you access to a lot of settings that "if changed improperly" could lead to programs and/or the computer not working properly.

Be very care what you do in there, and ALWAYS save a copy to a disc as a backup prior to making any changes.

The regedit feature gives you access to a lot of settings that "if changed improperly" could lead to programs and/or the computer not working properly.

Be very care what you do in there, and ALWAYS save a copy to a disc as a backup prior to making any changes.
What he said.

--Wag--

Are you talking about the registered user or the Computer Name? If you're trying to change the computer name, do the following:

Right-click your "My Computer" icon and select "Properties" from the popup menu (or open up Control Panel and double-click on the System icon.)

Click the "Computer Name" tab on the "System Properties" requester.

Click the "Change..." button and enter a new name in the "Computer name" field.

Click OK.

Click OK to exit System Properties.

(I think you have to reboot as well for the change to take affect.)

Thanks for all the help guys! It was the computers registered name not the computers actuall name. I followed the advice above and changed it to justintime2 instead of justintime_2 but it still shows up the other way even after a reboot. All I wanted to do was change a DVD file to a MPG or WMV and now I'm on a hell bent odysee and hate computers. Oh well, I guess I am learning something.
AAAssjani.gif

I may just have to buck up and spend the $30 on the program that actually works on doing what I want without any changes to my computer. I tried the demo version and it worked but it put a big old watermark stamp in the middle of the whole video, that sucks. I'm just cheap on some things.
smile.gif

Back