Aftermarket wheels for the Busa...

Dymag's are a true bolt on, the Dymag products have a cush drive hub.
Andrew at Superbikeracing.com was more than helpful in my Dymag purchase and they are a truely commited to customer satisfaction and business is carried on in a personnal way. I am sure Don (rotts4u) will agree as he purchased Dymags as well.

Wheels that fit a 99 TLR of GSXR750 will swap right out since they take the same brakes (except for rear rotor size 220mm vs. 240mm for the Busa).

Marchesini wheels
PM wheels
Marvics
all have cush drives or at least as an option(PM).

RC and most billet wheels do not incorporate a cush drive as they are constructed for Drag raceing.

The billet PM wheels are actually heavier than stock, they are more of a Harley item
(according to PM themselves)

Thanks for the info KawAbuser. I was seriously considering a set of billet wheels from RC or PM. I had no idea that they would be heavier than stock. It sounds like Dymag is the way to go. My only concern is about a rumor that I heard somewhere that magnesium wheels are more brittle than aluminum and are prone to cracking. Have the manufacturers solved this problem, or was the rumor totally untrue?

How are your Dymags holding up? Do you know of anyone that has experienced the brittleness that I heard about? What kind of warranty does Dymag offer? Do they have a catalog, and if so where can I get one?

I'll keep saving my lunch money until I can get a few more answers...because Magnesium ain't cheap!!

RC billet wheels are very light, as are thier spun aluminum. The PM billets are not the same breed and it was PM who told me their billets weigh more not the RC.

RC offers two rim thicknesses, these wheels are meant for the dragstrip, where they dont have pot holes.

Marchesini magnesium wheels are on almost every bike racing AMA superbike.

Dymag offers a year warranty

I am the one with the Dymags and I LOVE them. First of all the look great. And just as Kaw said Andrew is great to work with.

The take some big weight off the bike too. Some makers of the wheels only claim their wheels to be safe for race use. No bumps no pot holes etc they can be made really light.

The Dymags are certified UK as street safe so they are thicker and stronger than race only wheels. From the looks of the design I expect no problems. The warranty is one year.

Make sure you read the article I wrote at www.dragbike.com about my Dymags and you can see the pics too

Don

For the record... I've done several bike features with Dymag wheels on them. We're not talking about brand new shiney bikes, in most cases, these were bikes that people rode.

Not one, ever, said that the wheels experienced any bending, warping or other signs of weakness.

Konrad the Dymags are very popular with the people on this site, the five spoke Dymag Sport seems to be the wheel of choice.

The Marchesini's are less expensive and are available from TAW in Colorado, they also use a cush drive in the rear.

Strength concerns can be an issue on our New England roads, so for the strength of steel and for less weight than magnesium Dymag offers two Carbon Fiber wheels(full carbon and carbon rimmed/magnesium spoked).

It is just a matter of cost, I do have friends with Ducatis that have dented front wheels from wheelies for the $.02 that is worth.

well, for my twocents worth: i have technomagnesio rims on my 1216 cc gsxr. four years, countless high speed (135 mph) wheelies and numerous thousands of miles later, still performing like new. also available from ted at T.A.W IMPORTS. he is a great guy and will shoot it straight with you. sport rider magazine did a test of aftermarket wheels about 4 years ago, pm, marchesini, dymag, techno, etc, etc. the techno was approx 3rd lightest but tested best on the accelerometer. great test, great wheels. that's my 2 cents worth. good luck.
mike

I have techno wheels installed, I started trying to get them installed in May of this year, right after I got my bike.

Yes they are good wheels, I've had them over 160 on the street w/o any problems. The bike turns faster, accelerates better, and just plain looks nicer.

Between obtaining bearings and spacers that were needed for proper fit I went nuts. Yes I dealt with Ted (I met the rest of his staff at AMA races @ Pikes Peak this year), and Ted helped all he could, a bit slow but he did get the job done.

Have a look at my mods page:
http://fatman.pro-libertate.com/~jeffw/hayabusa/Wheels/wheels.html

Back