Adventure dream?

kod3001

Registered
Did you ever want to do something crazy like ride around the world - see the road from the saddle.  Not necessarily on a Busa.  

I'm 34 now, married with 2 sons (8 and 4) and looking for more adventure.  Not that I don't get enough adventure with the family, I just yearn to do something mad every once in a while.

Whats your ideal biking adventure and have you done it ?

<!--EDIT|kod3001
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1127926210 -->

I think it would be a cool way to see the world, but I wouldn't go on a Busa. I think a BMW, (the dual-sport lookin ones I forget the model #) with heated grips and off-road lights etc. would be my mount of choice......
There was that one guy that rode a Bennelli (I think) across the Sahara. That took some sacks.

I saw that guy with the Benelli or similar, the Sahara killed it, sand in the chain links, filter, even got in the engine I think.

You're right about the BMW, that would be the weapon of choice, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman used them for their east bound trip round the world- through Russia, road of bones etc., and wetlands - no roads at all, just water and lots of it.

Beemers are the best because alot of them are shaft driven, no need to worry about chain maintenance on long rides. The TNT was dead by the end of that trip...Italian street bikes NOT good for long off road trips.

Why don't you try a long trip across states. I know some people who've done long trips cross countries, but across the world would take you several months I guess. Can't really be that fun.
tounge.gif

Take a Beemer and make sure you have backup and/or a sponsor who can supply you with parts, rescue you from the swamp, or bail you out of jail if needed. That takes a lot of the stress out of the journey so you can enjoy the ride.

I'd break it up into several "annual" rides so you're not under as much pressure to cover miles or reach destinations within a schedule.

<!--EDIT|DAB
Reason for Edit: "problem between seat and keyboard"|1127942654 -->

there was a show on PBS or the Bravo channel... Ewan Macgregor (The actor from trainspotting) and his buddy rode a Beemer around the world. Actually they started in England and ended in New York... It was a pretty good show... they went through parts of the Russia and stayed at local mobsters homes. Interesting...

Long riding adventure? I had that thought too once. Then I saw the movie Easy Rider. Seem to remember that didn't end well...
laugh.gif

I would take the Busa for a long road trip. Oxford humpbag, tail bag and saddle bags. I think I could hold enough gear / tools to make it quite some time. Anyhow, I dont have a ton of cash, in fact I hardly have any extra cash. But at the age of 32, and 33 comming in a few days & never having a vacation in my life I would do anything I would have to do to tour with a few guys for several weeks or possibly a few months.

Traveling the world would be cool, but on my budget it aint gonna happen. Doing several states in the USA I could possibly do, and if I had to I would sell the few meager possesions that I have to have this experience with a few others just as eager to travel the states via 2 wheels.

Any Lotto winners out there wanna sponsor a few guys to ride, lol...never hurts to ask.
wink.gif

I saw a show not too long ago, can't remember which network, where a guy rode an R1 around the world. Had that sucker loaded with gear. Guess it can be done, but bring extra chains & sprokets and lots of chain cleaner/lube.

Back