99 Busa

crepitus

Registered
I have been looking for a used Busa. I found a 99 cooper one. Is there anything that was wrong with the first year bike? should i just pass on it because of the updates made over the years? like i heard the aluminum subframe or something?

From what I know... the 99 models have a problem with the sub frame, timing chain and the starter...!!! Someone correct me if im wrong
wink.gif

On the plus side... its an unrestricted model of busa
smile.gif

99 was the 1st year and Busa's did have the problems mentioned above.I'd check with the seller to see if he had the sub frame changed over to the later model steel unit.Also ask if the cam and starter work was done by a reputable dealer/mechanic.If he says yes I'd definetly want some proof in writing (reciepts) before closing on the deal.Good Luck...........

<!--EDIT|Gerald
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114174269 -->

its at some place that deals with used vehicals. he probably got it at an auction so i am guessing he has no service records on it. guess i will just keep on looking.

the aluminum subframe thing is bullshit. mine 2000 model has the aluminum subframe and no problems so far. if it does brake you can buy one on ebay for about 100 bucks steel or aluminum plus theres some guys that will probably trade you a steel one for the aluminum one on your bike if its not broken. as for the timing chain you can tell if it has been done by the oil lines running down the side of the motor if you do a search on here you can find exactly how to tell, also some stamp on frame if i remember right. and the starter mine has the same starter and no problems so far and you can upgrade to the better starter for a few hundred bucks. i think the 99 is the nicest looking of all the busas and i would jump on it quick if i were you especially if it is cheap with low miles. my 2 cents

You can have a dealer run the vin#, and it will tell you if the updates have been done if they were done by a dealer.A freind of mine bought a 2000 used, and the timing chain broke and bent valves, damaged piston,s, and other stuff. The dealer ran the vin, and the recall on the chain had not been done, and Suk america paid for the whole repair bill. $3800.00.

Back