\'98 ZX-9R Clutch Question

OB_Hooshy Bushy

Registered
I've got a '98 9R that has developed a clutch problem. I've got 11k miles on it and recently upgraded the springs. Soon after the clutch is slipping at 9k-up RPM.

As soon as it started to slip I replaced the frictions and scuffed the steels. Nothing was burnt just a couple glazed spots on the steels and they were within spec.

I put everything back together reusing the upgraded springs and it was then slipping more than before.

I took it back apart, replaced a couple of the steels with thicker ones and also got a new set of springs from a different company.

As of now, it is still slipping. I read a post from a ZX-12'er that is having something similar happening and they made a reference to "spider washers".

Anyone seen this before?

The clutch pak is so tight right now that I can barely get into neutral so I don't see how it could be the culpret.

This and other problems from my previous Kaw, led me to buying my '00 Busa! Thank you Kawasaki for making my decision this year easy!

You did offset the last friction plate did'nt you? I think the spider washer is the ring in the back of the clutch pack. Don't know for sure.

Yes Sir, I put the tabs on the last friction where they're supposed to be. -Thanks, this is my first clutch replacement so I could have easily made a simple mistake.

Do you have any ridges/worn areas on sides of clutch basket that could keep clutch pack from seating? It would be where tabs of friction plates contact basket. You haven't added any new oil additives since slipping started by chance? Don't remember if cable clutch or not, but if it is, is the cable frayed anywhere that may keep it from engaging? Just a suggestion or two and you may have already checked these. Jack

I replaced the clutch hub but not the basket, it showed a SLIGHT amount of wear...is it worth filing any ridges or should I invest in a new basket? -What's typical?

I've not used any oil additives, just Kaw 20W-50.

It's a cable clutch, I've adjusted it every which way.

Back