50mph, in a wheelchair

DAB

Registered
Wheelchair user taken on 50-mph ride
Chair becomes lodged on semitrailer's grille, travels 4 miles on highway
The Associated Press

PAW PAW, Mich. - A man was taken on a wild ride when his wheelchair became lodged in the grille of a semitrailer and was accidentally pushed down a highway for four miles at about 50 mph, authorities said.

The 21-year-old man, whose name was not released, was unharmed but was taken to a hospital as a precaution. He had been secured to his wheelchair by a seat belt.

“The man spilled his soda pop, but he wasn’t upset,†said Sgt. Kathy Morton of the Michigan State Police.

About 4 p.m. Wednesday, a caller told police dispatchers, “You are not going to believe this: There is a semi truck pushing a guy in a wheelchair on Red Arrow Highway,†state police said in a release.

Prank call?
Authorities initially wondered whether the report was a prank call until others called with similar reports.

Officers stopped the truck — wheelchair still attached — at a trucking company. The driver didn’t believe officers until he stepped from his cab and saw for himself.

“When he saw us, he was like, ’What’s going on?â€â€™ Morton said.

An investigation revealed the man in the wheelchair had pulled in front of the truck at a gas station and it somehow became lodged by its handles to the front grille.

Talk about a wild ride!
SHOCKED.gif

i think i would have spilled more than my soda pop if that had been me...that kid must have been on some powerful tranquilizers
beerchug.gif

Saw that this morning on MSN.com - had a pic of the kid.

He's damn lucky the chair's wheels held up. Catch a decent sized pothole, bend the wheel, and all of a sudden everything ends up under the tractor.

Glad he is OK!

Wow!

Now, where the pics!

Ya know - this could be good advertising for the wheelchair manufacturer - good testament to how well they hold up!
laugh.gif

(omslaw @ Jun. 07 2007,13:24) Wow!

Now, where the pics!

Ya know - this could be good advertising for the wheelchair manufacturer - good testament to how well they hold up!  
laugh.gif
Here you go Omar!

Now that I think about it - it's also a good thing the chair did not become dislodged at some point during the trip.......

Attachments

• 070607_wheelchair_hmed_10a.hmedium
    20.7 KB · Views: 117
Glad the dude's OK!

Ya know - with it going down the road - it would have been interesting to see that... I bet it would have looked like the wheelchair was pulling the truck!

that's one lucky kid. glad to hear it worked out. I know he shat his pants. I would have......

Back