465 vs Air Ride Info

gfunko

Registered
I am considering suspension options once I stretch out my '12 busa (6 over MAX). I definitely will not be stretching it without modding the spring. Currently I know about Progressive's 465 spring for stretched arms, but wanted to see how it compares to air ride (aside from money). I searched the forum and didn't really find anything about air ride suspension. Just had a couple of questions as far as air ride goes. First, aside from instant up/down how does air ride compare to 465 spring replacement for stretch swingarms? My concern would be the threshold in which air ride bottoms out (if that is even possible with air ride? This going into my second questions, how is the ride quality? Any info is always appreciated.

I have a lot of the same questions... I am considering air ride for the adjustability when riding with a passenger. Maybe someone can chime in

Air ride is great I have it on my busa. It does get very expensive but what you can do is buy the air shock and buy the compressor seperately which is what I did and have it wired through a relay switch which turns the compressor on and off. You can buy yourself a decenet compressor which comes with the kit and it will keep the tail end up if say you have a bigger person in the back but it rides great through bumps when aired all the way and rough if your drag racing you can feel every bump

I had the 465 and hated it. just crank down the stock shock. trust me

Was the ride super rough? I know they say its "made for extended swingarm" but I don't plan on riding with a passenger (if that helps). I weigh about 190. Main concern is undertail rub since my bike is lowered.

Air ride is great I have it on my busa. It does get very expensive but what you can do is buy the air shock and buy the compressor seperately which is what I did and have it wired through a relay switch which turns the compressor on and off. You can buy yourself a decenet compressor which comes with the kit and it will keep the tail end up if say you have a bigger person in the back but it rides great through bumps when aired all the way and rough if your drag racing you can feel every bump

Which manufacturer did you get your air strut from? How hard was it to wire in?

Was the ride super rough? I know they say its "made for extended swingarm" but I don't plan on riding with a passenger (if that helps). I weigh about 190. Main concern is undertail rub since my bike is lowered.

very rough ride with very little adjustment. not good. try the stock shock first. you can always change it later

i am 8" over. i custom ordered just a rear spring from racetech. it lets u calulate what u need. my bike rides very well. if u get a really heavy spring u might have to revalve the shock. i didnt have to.

also with stock tail only go 6 over. anymore and you will have clearance issues. look into a 4 in too

Agreed B Rad. 6 over is my max. I think anywhere between 4-6 is the right stretch (at least for me).

i am 8" over. i custom ordered just a rear spring from racetech. it lets u calulate what u need. my bike rides very well. if u get a really heavy spring u might have to revalve the shock. i didnt have to.

I just checked out their website to calculate what spring rate I should use. Seems that stock spring rate is the best choice at the moment given my weight. Thanks for that info!! I guess I need to just tune the suspension a bit and be good.

Back