300+ MPH

I think trying to go 300 mph in a "sit up" or "sit on" bike where bodywork encloses the rider (unless that includes a rollcage) would be a high tech form of suicide. The only reasonable approach to going 300 mph without a rollcage would be a bike where the rider can leave it, and that means not only the latest in boots, armor and leathers but also a rider wearing a drag chute.

Hey, Hawk's:  I believe that a more expressive description of the bike(s) in question would be what we in LSR in the USA use, which is "open wheel" vs "streamliner."

The open wheel is more or less like a road-racer, and part of both wheels and all of the rider(hands and forearms excepted) is part of the definition.  The streamliner is the classic "cigar" shaped bike, which is completly enclosed.

I feel comfortable that within 5-10 years, the ultimate LSR for streamliners will be at or over 350 MPH; maybe as high as 400 MPH.  With two (2) turbo "busa's," power would not be a problem. Sam Wheeler could well set the record this year.

For open wheels, Jon Minnono is currently the fastest, with a 1992 Bonneville exit speed of OVER 256 MPH, on a TRIUMPH!!!!  So far, no "metric" bike or Harley is faster!  Imagine:  The fastest open-wheel bike in the world neds whitworth wrenches!

However, with 500 HP (one engine), of 800-1,000HP (two engines), the record for open-wheelers could well be over 275-300 MPH within 10 years.  Traction and aerodynamics are the problems, not power.

When the Hayabusa came out in 1999, a Canadian magazine did some wind tunnel testing, and thereafter for a few years, everybody thought that the limit for a stock-bodied 'Busa would be 250 MPH.

Well, we now know that's BS, since there are not one, but (count 'wm-two) stock bodied 'Busa's OVER 250 MPH. And neither of them had more than (only) 450 HP.

And I know, since I am the only person on the planet that has ridden BOTH of them!

This cloud here... sorry; I was the famed Maurice Olsen that originally posted this article... (changed screen names
smile.gif
)

As TurboBill stated above, we are all honoered here to have such incredibly talented people... some of the best in the world.

I appreciate all your responses on this and I originally posted it because it didn't seem so far fetched being that some of gotten 250-260 already... what is 40 MPH, ... (kidding)

My growth in motorcycling through these forums have given me a more realistic perspective on things since I orignally posted; understanding now that it takes a lot to go above 200MPH.

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081570811 -->

never heard of ghost rider? he got a stock body hayabusa with 499 hk on the backwheel and he has been driving it for 272 mph on bad swedish roads.

check out his homepage: www.ghostridermovies.com

here in sweden we are good at building fast stuff.

never heard of ghost rider? he got a stock body hayabusa with 499 hk on the backwheel and he has been driving it for 272 mph on bad swedish roads.

Well, it wasnt on "bad" Swedish roads
smile.gif

some of our highways are originally designed for refueling bombplanes in wartime. (the russians never came)
smile.gif

This was done in a 5 kilometer long wind free straight. But this is not of interest yet, since we dont have it documented yet... When we have it officially timed, with TV & magazines involved I will let you guys be the first to know.

Our maingoal for 2004 season is aiming for a 350kph (217mph+) Wheelie record.

Drive safe folks!

/ Hittis
b.t.w. You got the URL wrong.

smile.gif

smile.gif

some of our highways are originally designed for refueling bombplanes in wartime. (the russians never came)
smile.gif

This was done in a 5 kilometer long wind free straight. But this is not of interest yet, since we dont have it documented yet... When we have it officially timed, with TV & magazines involved I will let you guys be the first to know.

Drive safe folks!

/ Hittis
hey, i live in sweden and i know how our roads look like, even if the road is straight the asphalt is bad, its to coarse (im not sure thats the right word for the swedish "grov").

between mönsterås and ålem (småland) there was a good road that also was supposed to be a emergency airstrip but as u said the russians never came so they destroyed it and built a safety fence in the middle (vajerräcke) and before it was 4 lanes in both directions now its 2... damn vv...

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Drive safe folks!

/ Hittis
hey, i live in sweden and i know how our roads look like, even if the road is straight the asphalt is bad, its to coarse (im not sure thats the right word for the swedish "grov").

between mönsterås and ålem (småland) there was a good road that also was supposed to be a emergency airstrip but as u said the russians never came so they destroyed it and built a safety fence in the middle (vajerräcke) and before it was 4 lanes in both directions now its 2... damn vv...
We driven outside Ljungby in south direction on the E4.
Best road in Sweden ^^
and the asphalt was not that rough there.
Our tires did blister though
smile.gif

But most likely we will do our 270mph run @ Bruntingtorphe proving ground in UK, if we dont get a nice invitation from the US guys ^^

Like I said, when we have a documented run, we let you guys know first.

/ Hittis -  Fantasy, I see you @ Swedish Stunt Festival?

<!--EDIT|Hittis
Reason for Edit: "Fantasy, I see you @ Swedish Stunt Festival?"|1091640470 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif

Hittis - Fantasy, I see you @ Swedish Stunt Festival?
well i live pretty far away and im only 16... so i dont know... but it would be damn fun to be there, maybe i should take the train up there. i was looking at the homepage but i didnt get how far away the airstrip is from uppsala city, do u know that? i guess that all hotells are full but our family got some friends there so i think i can get someplace to sleep atleast, lol.

Hittis -  Fantasy, I see you @ Swedish Stunt Festival?
well i live pretty far away and im only 16... so i dont know... but it would be damn fun to be there, maybe i should take the train up there. i was looking at the homepage but i didnt get how far away the airstrip is from uppsala city, do u know that? i guess that all hotells are full but our family got some friends there so i think i can get someplace to sleep atleast, lol.
We have arranged some military tents, about 10 of ém.
So if you cant find a place to sleep, I am sure you will get comfortable night in a military tent
smile.gif

Its about 35 kilometers from the city of Uppsala.

We expecting up to about 5000 visitors.

/ Hittis

Hittis - Fantasy, I see you @ Swedish Stunt Festival?
We have arranged some military tents, about 10 of ém.
So if you cant find a place to sleep, I am sure you will get comfortable night in a military tent
smile.gif

Its about 35 kilometers from the city of Uppsala.

We expecting up to about 5000 visitors.

/ Hittis
damn, i must be there... well we will see if i can showup or not...

are u one of the arranger? maybe u can tell me then how its about this

"SWT Racing's world record holder, Patrik Fürstenhoff, is going to let 10 people
from the audience win a ride along at speeds near 300km/h on his turbo hayabusa"

I read on ghost riders forum that u have to be 18 years, true or false?

Hi all ! I believe it was LandSpeedLarry who went 266mph in 03 at Bonneville...and street legal to boot. Some thing about a photo shoot at a drive in
without front brakes.... I respect you majorly as i have gone "only" 176--in 5th on my Busa. And that was scary... You Da Man in my book. Good luck in 04..

And once someone DOES hit 300 mph on "modified hayabusa", you then have to ask yourself, "Is it REALLY even a hayabusa anymore since it looks, rides, etc. nothing like a showroom floor model?" How many parts would a streamlined "busa" have to share with the stock version to still be worthy of the name? Land speed records are cool...but when you look at some of the spec sheets on some of these rides that are supposed to be "modified" versions of real world cars, trucks, etc., you begin to see that, hey, the only common parts are an oil filler cap and the kanji decal on the side fairing, but its still a hayabusa! Kinda like comparing a pro stock chevy cavalier dragster to the average cavalier youd rent from hertz! Its strictly a name thing for public relations after a while. Come to think of it, this has been the formula for NASCAR for the last 20 years or so!! hehe
Bikes that are modified to go as fast as possible while still being rideable (meaning legal and registerable for street use) definitely are more interesting to me because you can actually relate to it. But to each his own...i wish i had some deep pockets like that, but id probably have killed myself doing that stuff loooong ago!

Seen in some of the details of this post where it is estimated that would take 1000+ horsepower given aeros already to go 300+.

I think its possible to get the power out of the engine, I just wonder if they will have good enough tires to go that fast.
biggrin.gif

Back