2008 Busa fork preload adjustment

TA_GunSurgeon

Donating Member
Registered
I'm trying to set up my suspension and I went to set my front fork preload. I read a article that said to put zip ties on the lower porsion of the forks. Then ride around and brake hard. then with a properly set preload the zip tie should end up 10mm from the bottom of the forks. The only thing is with the preload all the way tight I can still almost bottom out the forks down to like 4mm. Anyone have a better way to set front preload? or the correct way?

That is kind of a rough and ready or quick and low down way of setting your front end. The idea is to use your available suspension by setting your preload just enough to cover the worst case scenario of dive under hard braking. The only problem is that is only works reasonably well if the spring rate is pretty close to correct. As you've found out already, if you're already using all of your preload, what's next? You probably don't have enough spring. What's your weight? As a stop gap, if the front end seems pretty smooth, you could add a click of compression damping. It is more precise to measure unladen sag and laden sag, but if your spring rate is too soft it'll just take a little longer to learn the same thing.

I'm 200lbs. I just talked to Traxion dynamics I think I'm going to take my bike there and have them do the suspension.

If you don't understand suspension as most of us don't, you will be much happier having a professional set your suspension. All they will do is give you a general base line to work from. From there it will be up to you to fine tune it to your taste.

I'm not sure what the article was saying but front end dive is controlled by compression. If the forks are bottoming out, then you need heavier springs. What we look for is a proper spring that will leave about 3mm of travel left at the bottom.

The springs in your busa are .85kg/mm My GSXR1000 has 1.05kg/mm. If you want to improve your busa's cornering ability you'll most likely need heavier springs. By installing heavier springs you'll loose some of your smooth silky ride.

Back