2000 model Starter Spline Stripped

The Ant

Registered
I own a 2000 model Hayabusa.

Last night the splines on my starter motor had stripped. Apparently a common problem on the very earlier models. An hour before there was what appeared to be some back firing on start up and when I tried starting it later an awful noise like nuts and bolt was rattling inside the engine. I tried push starting it and it skidded. Removed the starter cover and found a stripped spline on the starter motor. Is the gear that engages onto the starter spline straight cut all the way across? Mine seems to slightly bevelled on the engine side...maybe they have been bured over?

Is there an after market part/s to buy which rectifies this problem?

3 rides earlier I fitted 50 watt HID lights and was wondering if the power drawn from these lights in operation on start up might have contributed to not enough battery power to start properly resulting in a back fire? Bad quality fuel also perhaps as I just filled up with higher octane at a generic gas station? The battery is newish and in good working order.

Are 50 watt HID lights safe to use on a 2000 model Busa without spiking occuring or other damage to the electricals and ECU?

That is common on pre 2003 bikes with a low battery and/or a higher compression engine.
The starter gears are supposed to be straight!!! See the pictures below.
Yes, there is a solution to your problem.

I have what you need to fix it!!

I have a 2000 model starter with about 3,000 miles on it. It's in PERFECT condition.
I want $110 shipped.

APE sells a heavy duty starter gear. You can't hurt these things.
They sell for $250.
I have a very slightly used one for $160 shipped.

I don't know how much of this you need, but if you buy them both, I'll go $225 SHIPPED within the States.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Chris

SLEEPERBUSA@aol.com

DSC04384.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

Last edited:
Ok,
now the other problem,
The HID in itself didn't do it.
With that being said, make sure all of your connections are perfect. I'm not saying that the install didn't do it. But the HID's draw less of a load than the halogens do.
If your connections are all good, you may have a draw from another source.

A low battery is probably your culprit and YES.......a low battery CAN cause it to backfire and run crappy!!

On another note,
If the engine is stock, you are wasting money putting super uinleaded in. The engine is only 10.1:1 compression and has no need for anything other than regular unleaded. Medium grade at best.

It's not the octane that you are looking for in a Busa, it's the quality of the gas.
I would suggest Chevron or Texaco. They both have Techron and that stuff is great for cleaning your fuel system and keeping it happy.
Not to mention that every tank you buy helps out my 401K.
;)

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
get the APE starter gear and the titanium ring that goes on the gear post. You will go from 3mm gear contact up to 9mm of gear teeth contact. You will also need to do just a little grinding on the gear cover to make room for the thicker ape gear.. you don't want the gears to walk over each other's teeth and force the post that holds one of the gears to crack or break off. Thats what the titanium ring is for. Bust that off and start looking for a new engine case! Thats what I was told. I have done all these mods to my 2000.

Fix the problem once and for all with 03 up starter conversion.. I have a few left in stock..

Sounds like the APE and the 2003 onwards set up both work.
Which is the better out of the above?
Are all the factory starters motors the same on all GEN 1 Hayabusas?

Sounds like the 2003 set up needs the covers, cluthed gear and starter motor where the APE set up needs only the starter motor and either clutched on non clutched gear?

Back