1st time back where I had my off 18 months ago.

aussiesuzukirider

Never Forgotten
My little riding mate convinced me to do the run over the mountain that i crashed on 18 months ago ??? was not over enthused as I tried to do it a while back back but took the long way around :11zhuh: this time I did it and still had flash backs more so when I approached the scene of my mishap but I got through it and feel much more at ease about traveling that road again:thumbsup: Anyone else get a bit strange about revisiting a scene of your mishap or is it just me :dunno:

My little riding mate. She is a little shy.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

The view is worth the ride.

Our Bikes

Nothing in particular with the location, but.. My last bigger off (bike damage, but no injury) was at the track, and though I have no issues with going back to the track, it left me with a problem with blind hill crests for some time. In a nutshell, I got ahead of myself to early in the morning going the opposite direction on the track than I'd been before. Came over the blind crest of turn eight thinking it went a certain way, and it didn't go quite like I thought it did. It took me quite some time to get comfortable going over sharp, blind, hill tops, even on roads that I'd been on hundreds of times. Over it now, but wondered for a while.
Glad to hear your back on your bike and going.:thumbsup:

that first time back through can be a little nerve-wracking but it has to be done...my last time down, i went back through it the next day with a couple broken ribs and hand, might as well get it out of the way :laugh: congrats on getting back on the horse and moving ahead :beerchug:

aussiesuzukirider, in my short riding history I've not been down, but know what a significant event can do to your psyche. I've been a firefighter/EMT for 20 yrs. and a close-call fire or runs involving kids can get you twisted real quick. We use humor and our 'mates' at the station to get through. We all have our own kryptonite that necessitates help or support from others....

Ride on!:superman:

I think it depends on how one's brain is wired. Some have psychological barriers after a crash while others seem to climb back on without any evidence of the event lasting more than the next fuel stop.

Evidence of this is also witnessed in the military when veterans return from a war zone. Some of my buddies from the Vietnam war came home with psychological issues while others in the same situations returned to civilian life to be successful people without showing any disturbing signs. I believe it's just the draw of the cards on how one is wired mentally. :dunno:

If you still have issues with a crash months later then you aren't wired the same as those of us who crash and climb back on as soon as we straighten out the shift lever and pick up where we left off a half hour earlier.

One thing I have learned about riders is if you ride "Not to crash" you will never reach the advanced levels of skill. Actually, I'll go so far as to say, "If you have never crashed you have not yet reached the advanced skill level of bike control"! :beerchug:

I have that trouble on a road that my wife and I had a little miss hap on. She hates it to this day and gets upset when I want to go on it. Glad you got through it and feel better about it. :thumbsup:

I go back as often as possible to every crash I ever had, I always crashed trying to do something that was a blast. ell when I visit my childhood home in New Jersey I still swing through my town and go to most of the locations I broke bones on a dirt bike, some of the places are covered with buildings now but I like to reminisce. Dont know exactly where you crashed in Aust but I rode your country three years ago, nice riding country, real nice.

Glad your back on your ride and facing the crash scene... I know exactly what your talking about.. When I got my new bike after the crash that was the first place I headed to just to get it out of the way... I drive through the intersection 4 times, got it over with and went home...

Glad you got through it OK.

It does effect you, nearly dropped the bike coming out of a side road, and even though it wasn't a crash made me so nervous I got scared to ride the bike.
Took me a few rides to get my confidence back, still feel funny at that corner though.

I believe it's just the draw of the cards on how one is wired mentally. :dunno:

some of us (myself included) might be classified as "unwired" :lol: you are absolutely correct though, i've got friends that have crashed and got up and finished the ride, others who have laid the bike down without any real damage and never got on one again...each person has to make that decision for themselves :beerchug:

Funny but may major crash where i destroyed my left leg/foot and broke my shoulder never bothered me a bit. But the time I dropped the bike after a car stopped in from of me in the rain really freaked me out (not enough to quit riding, just a nervousness when i rode). I think in the bad crash i did everything right, including deciding in a split second the bike would have to be sacrificed if i was going to live. In the low speed crash it was me not being in control of the situation.

I think it's much harder to get on the bike if you've lost trust in yourself.

Thanks for your feed back everyone I never lost the desire to ride I was waiting for the day I got my bike back from the repairer and went straight out for a ride and have been riding all over the usual roads with my friends but when ever we came to the road that I crashed on I just could not go up it so I went the long way around, some of the roads were identical or tighter than the one that gave me the flash backs but I feel it is all good now.:thumbsup:

F' it, you could've crashed anywhere.
Grip it and rip it! Keep riding until you and/or the bike are no longer physically able to continue:laugh:

Glad you're back riding:beerchug:

My friend - I think it is completely normal to be aprehensive visiting the scene of any life threatening event. In my expirence there are two basic reactions to motorcycle crashes. One is that you never see the rider again and the second is the rider who makes it back. Doesn't matter how long it takes, what matters is that your joy of riding isn't overcome by the fear of riding. I've had various bad expiriences riding but I've never had a thought about not riding. Intellectually - I continually question my motivations and sanity for riding (fear). I have a family - why do I have a complusion to ride in crazy DC commuter traffic or solo in very rural areas, in which if I wreck I may not be found for weeks. Emotionally, as soon as I knock the kick stand up there is no fear, just the joy of the ride.

To put a fine point on this - forget crashes - I can and do remember every place I've every had the rear do a scary step out on me, sketched the front end, had a major wiggle or locked a wheel.

Glad you are back in the seat!

I'm constantly afraid this will happen to me again....

Took me years to get over that smell.

But I'm glad you conquered your fears and got back out there.
Awesome view :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back