1957 vs. 2007

Haven't you heard; it's the states responsibility to raise children these days
rofl.gif
That's exactly the problem...far too many parents honestly believe that's true...
pillepalle.gif

And when your 11 year olds are being offered birth control methods from their middle school, I guess it's official that parents aren't really needed at all?! Right?! Good grief...
cursin.gif

And when your 11 year olds are being offered birth control methods from their middle school, I guess it's official that parents aren't really needed at all?!  Right?!  Good grief...  
cursin.gif
Can you imagine what they would have done back in the day.  If the school had tried to do that to one of my sisters...... Well, my dad would have said "You wouldn't like me when I am angry, so I would not do that if I were you."

And when your 11 year olds are being offered birth control methods from their middle school, I guess it's official that parents aren't really needed at all?! Right?! Good grief...
cursin.gif
Can you imagine what they would have done back in the day. If the school had tried to do that to one of my sisters...... Well, my dad would have said "You wouldn't like me when I am angry, so I would not do that if I were you."
It's completely insane, isn't it?
banghead.gif

I hate to sound like I've given up, but I did the best I could do for my kids, and I live my life and treat those I come in contact with well; but I've seen over the years where the little guy gets ran over by laywers, and corporate America, not to mention the good ol special interest groups that people support without thought.

And I see some of the things being talked about in this thread up close on a daily basis. It's worse than you think.
Actually I know how bad it is, It is sad that with all the lawyers and bleeding heart liberals out there. A parent that wants to diciplin their kids can't. God forbid you lay a hand on your child as punishment, you'll be brought up on child abuse charges.

But don't get me wrong. It is not all the governments fault, I have met my share of parents that think sheltering their kids from real world issues is the way to go. I personally know some parents that intend on never teaching their kids about guns or drugs. Thinking that will ensure they never are exposed to them.

???WHAT???

But people need to accept the fact that most kids need both a loving hand and a firm punishment. I can honestly say that when I got put over my dads knee, I deserved it. Now I learned very quickly not to do the things that would get me there. But at the same time...I can count on one hand the number of times my dad hit me. So it is a delicate balance. And if you are a parent out there....I don't envy you one bit...walking that fine line.

I definately take a bow to everyone out there that is trying to properly raise a child in todays world...It has to be a tough job...and one that I don't look forward to, but am sure I will end up doing.

I am not certain what my Dad did when I was a kid, but I do know that I "feared" him in a way, and had a heavy dose of RESPECT for him...he was never mean to me, but I knew the consequences if I were to get in trouble...

I work to raise my kids the same way, but it is tough when outside influences teach our children "hey, if your Mom or Dad spank you, you can call 911 and they'll get in trouble" Rebellious children thrive on that and they in turn use it against their own parents. That is all so unthinkable to me; parents hands are tied nowadays...

let us not forget about the tailfins, big chrome grills and hella-steel bumpers on our 50's era autos. gotta love the style. better looking than a lot of the plastic eggs and jelly beans we have now.
I know it's been a while, but in response to your response.

The definition may be the same, but I guess what I was talking about was, what people consider poverty. Based on the definition you gave, I still doubt that we have a greater poverty rate in this country than in the 50's.

Back