Good photography takes timing.............

I wanna pick flint with you sometime RV! Indians around here were so poor they all shared the same point :laugh:. I have looked for years. I also like to catch turtles & snakes, and wolf spiders. It would appear that you are in a sweet spot. Most of my pics are on the computer with the "Blue Screen" . I will re-take some point pics & post here for you. Thanks for the pics. Fellow bog-walker. :laugh:

IMG_4473.jpg

Bubba, TruWreks is right about focal plane being compressed at high magnification. The toad was shot with the Canon 100mm/f2.8 macro.

I'm getting inspired now after viewing these photos. That's a good thing, because I leave for India and Spain on Tuesday.

Let me see if I can dig up more off an old hard drive somewhere. There are one or two I have in mind that should fit the wildlife theme of your thread...if I can recover them.

Bubba, TruWreks is right about focal plane being compressed at high magnification. The toad was shot with the Canon 100mm/f2.8 macro.

I'm getting inspired now after viewing these photos. That's a good thing, because I leave for India and Spain on Tuesday.

Let me see if I can dig up more off an old hard drive somewhere. There are one or two I have in mind that should fit the wildlife theme of your thread...if I can recover them.

I too am inspired, I really have not had my photographers hat on and need to work and practice. I have been riding and not snapping enough, but I am leaving shortly to go to the local mountains and work on that.
Eat lots of Saag Paneer and Naan while in India. I am making my own this weekend.
Thanks for the shots everyone.
Bubba

Last edited:
Okay...the old hard drive is rattling and ticking like it's about to have an uncontained failure, but I found a couple more...
3997495333_6ea03ef1de_o.jpg

3997517675_fda2c59a11_o.jpg

And here's a crop of the dragonfly at full size:
3998278342_4460602673_o.jpg

I've been encouraging my daughter to get more involved in photography. What would you recommend as a good starter camera for around $1000. Here's a pic with my crummy digital in our back yard.

Macro 1.jpg

Flint pics for RV "Snapshots" :laugh:

Nice flint, our pieces look the same, as the ice melted over thousands of years, the indians moved farther north taking the same design of points with them, your's are made of different material. The small triangular points and a few of the smaller ones are true arrowheads, the others are knives and spear points.

I've been encouraging my daughter to get more involved in photography. What would you recommend as a good starter camera for around $1000. Here's a pic with my crummy digital in our back yard.

It's not the camera, it's the person behind it, I've seen great pics with a crummy digital that where far better than I could ever take. Just like a bike or a rifle, it's the experience.

Most of my pics where taken with a Kodiak digital, until my kayak flipped over and it drowned.:laugh: I have a Nikon D40, I should have got another Kodak.

I can only speak for Canon equipment, as I've not used Nikon much. I'm sure we have some Nikon users who could make some recommendations...

With that caveat, I'd recommend one of Canon's entry level Rebel dSLR's. I started with a 10 mp XTi and it was a great first "real" camera. Their new entry level version is the XSi, but I don't know if I'd spend the extra money on that one. Even an older XT will produce stunning results if coupled with good lenses and someone who knows what they're doing.

I think a gently used XTi can be had for $300-$400. Then I'd buy Canon's ridiculously cheap 50mm f1.8 for $80. I'd also consider the Sigma 28-70 f2.8, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, or the Canon 28-135 as a main lense. The Sigma or Tamron can be had for between $270 and $350, and while there seem to be some intermittent quality problems with those manufacturers, the lenses are pretty highly regarded for entry level lenses. I owned a Canon 28-135 ($400)for about a month and it was a great lense until I saw the results from the $1250 24-105 f4L and I returned the 28-135 the next day. Such is life :banghead:

Don't be fooled by the amount of megapixels a camera has. Anything over six or eight will produce great photos you can print at 8X10...and 16X20 isn't too great a stretch if you've been used to seeing photos from a point & shoot camera. The megapixel wars are mostly just marketing gimmicks, and increased megapixels can come with a heavy price when it comes to low light performance.

An older, cheaper digital body equipped with good lenses will almost always outperform a newer model with the kit lense.

The dragonfly photo was taken with a $500 Canon Xti (or 400d) and a $1700 70-200 f2.8L IS lense. The water buffalo was taken with the same camera and the 24-105 f4L IS I wrote about earlier.

Pay as much attention to the "f number" on a lense when you're considering buying it. The focal length (the first number given in millimeters) is important, but so is how much light the lense needs to function (the f number)...and lower is always better.

PM me if you have any questions I can help you with.

And as RVTech wrote, it is more about the person taking the photo than the equipment. That said, once one's ability reaches a certain point, cheap equipment starts holding one back.

Last edited:
I wanna pick flint with you sometime RV! Indians around here were so poor they all shared the same point :laugh:. I have looked for years. I also like to catch turtles & snakes, and wolf spiders. It would appear that you are in a sweet spot. Most of my pics are on the computer with the "Blue Screen" . I will re-take some point pics & post here for you. Thanks for the pics. Fellow bog-walker. :laugh:

It's hard to find artifacts now because the fields are no longer plowed like they where years ago, they now use notill planters. There are still plenty of spiders and snakes in the deep woods to be found. If you are ever in my neck of the woods, we can get er done.:thumbsup:

Great pics. :beerchug:
Here are some of mine.
Action shots of Mom and Dad's dog Casey and some ducks down by the pond.

IMG_1763 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1758 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1705 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1738 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0169a.jpg

IMG_0170a.jpg

IMG_0128a.jpg

IMG_0129a.jpg

IMG_0122a.jpg

RV-any idea about these "pitted stones" we find around here? Often "pitted" on both sides, often "double pitted" ...not to jack on this thread anymore :laugh: & yes I will make a point to work my way down there someday :thumbsup:

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

RV-any idea about these "pitted stones" we find around here? Often "pitted" on both sides, often "double pitted" ...not to jack on this thread anymore :laugh: & yes I will make a point to work my way down there someday :thumbsup:

I have a few of the stones myself, they where used as some type of a hammerstone, prolly used to break open nuts.

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

swampbooger002-1.jpg

We call these swamp boogers.

Some amazing pics. But seriously! WTF are these things? :laugh: Really?
And you didn't really kill all those Coyotes in that one pic did you? That's just sad.
Quite an amazing collection of Indian artifacts you have. I'm not an expert, but my guess is the majority of the stuff you found is of the American Indian era. There were no MAMMOTHS around back then :poke: :rofl:

With the exception of the dead Coyotes pic....you have an impressive collection of nature photographs that I'm sure each one has a special memory for you. :beerchug:

Some amazing pics. But seriously! WTF are these things? :laugh: Really?
And you didn't really kill all those Coyotes in that one pic did you? That's just sad.
Quite an amazing collection of Indian artifacts you have. I'm not an expert, but my guess is the majority of the stuff you found is of the American Indian era. There were no MAMMOTHS around back then :poke: :rofl:

With the exception of the dead Coyotes pic....you have an impressive collection of nature photographs that I'm sure each one has a special memory for you. :beerchug:

Thank you, I'am glad you enjoyed my pics.

The swamp boogers are made by taxidermist out of deer hides. No I did not kill all of those coyotes, it was just a joke.:laugh:

Most of my collection of artifacts came from cliff overhangs and caves from
hardin county Ky. Some date to the early archaic times, about 6000 to 8000 years ago, I've been diggin them for 40 years, the deeper I dig the older they get. No one knows for a fact, even the experts, when the Mammoths became extinct.

Most of the old spear points I find where used to tip the Atlatl spear launcher.

Atlatl Archeology - Atlatl.com - Learning About Primitive Atlatl and Dart Weapon Systems - Atlatl Bob, Maker of Replica Atlatls

Thanks again...

Back