My Stock Pipe Mod

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
First of all Thanks to jessejones for his great link:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/new-2008-busa-threads/91366-stock-pipes-mod.html

This was very helpful. We had a tropical storm come through this weekend, so I decided to do this mod. The benefits are: less weight, better sound (without being much louder), easier access to the rear wheel, better looks.

I have the right tools to do the job, but NOT the ideal ones, it ended up being a fair amount of work, but I'm very happy with the results. The only real cost was high temp silicone and quite a few dremel cut-off wheels.

I wont go into great detail, jessejones did a good job at that, just a few possible helpful hints.

CloseUp.jpg

My band saw did not have enough depth to make one single cut, so I had to rotate 3 times. I used my belt sander to smooth any irregularites after cut was done.

BandSaw.jpg

This pic shows that the side with the screw(arrow) is really the only side you need to make more than a 1/2" deep cut on. You must cut the pipe on this side, but dont need to cut through pipes on the 2 other sides, the next pic will show this better.

ScrewSide.jpg

This end piece I was able to gently punch out of the aluminum housing.

PuncOut.jpg

This protruding pipe now needs to be cut, best way I had was cutting from the inside out with the cut-off wheels, yep I went through more than a few cut-off wheels.

Dremel.jpg

Last edited:
Ready to Silicone into place. I let the silicone dry overnight, then put the pop rivets in. After drilling the pop rivet holes, I squirted silicone into them, before inserting and setting the rivets.

Ready4Silicone.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Good job I'm sure the band saw was a handfull to get this done. I use a Dewalt grinder with 6 inch cut off wheels.

UPDATE:

It has been two years and 15K miles since I did the mod, I still LOVE it!

However, I heard a "rattle" in the right can this week, upon inspection, two of the three mounts for the chrome endcap were broken,(at the weld). The left can, had (1) mount broken.

Perhaps, the deeper sound and harmonics increased vibration on the endcap mount. This part of the muffler was NOT actually modified, it is cosmetic only.

The ideal fix would be to weld them back in place. I held them in place with high temp silicone, and let dry. Tonight, I will pop-rivet them back permanently, sealing the rivet with silicone to make "air tight".

I'm not sure if anyone with stock,(unmodified), cans has had this break occur?

Can.jpg

Endcap.jpg

Got a video?
Wanna hear it...

Sorry to say, no video. Ill try to get one, the next time my camera is out. Sound is louder without being too loud, it sounds great! A few I know of have done this mod and love the sound.

One can of mine is rattling but I think I have to re- tighten one of the threaded rods I sent through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back