Going home to a dark cold home....

It has started in Kansas City. A few years ago we were without power for 3 weeks. I have the battery powered lanterns loaded with fresh batterys, and got gas in the gas cans for the generator if needed. It's nice to have the generator, but it sucks to go outside at 3 in the morning to gas it up, and try to keep it going 24 hours a day if needed. Take care everyone and batton down the hatches.

Hey the power can be off as long as the Internet stays up.. I can charge the laptop batteries at work....

I'm surprised you guys(doug,rick) dont have generators. I pictured you 2 folks as being about the most prepared on the planet.Probably fug all I can do,which pisses me off to no end,but I wish you the best possible time thru this ugly winter season.

RSD.
Usually when we have outages, they are short. I have been thinking about a generator, however.

We are back up! I had to clear trees from the driveway to get to the house. It sure has wasted a bunch of trees.

Pic1

ice1.jpg

My mother and father-in-law are also out of power.  
sad.gif

They have 3 horses that drink a lot of water and they'll be out of horse water on Wednesday.  They figure they might have to make water runs to shelters to fill the horse tubs up.

Luckily they have a fireplace and plenty of firewood so they can stay warm.  

Has anyone heard of any estimates or websites on power restoration?  Their zip code is 74851 and they have Canadian Valley for their electric cooperative.
Just a thought, Why not take a pot of ice/snow and melt it by the fireplace for the horses?

Becareful Capt. It's heading our way, they say around 3am.It's raining now, a couple of degrees lower and all hell is going break loose.
firedevil.gif

Man, the ice on the trees is beautiful, too bad it's so destructive. I remember when it looked like that here.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
Charlesbusa @ Dec. 10 2007 said:
1238289[/ATTACH] PM]
My mother and father-in-law are also out of power.  
sad.gif

They have 3 horses that drink a lot of water and they'll be out of horse water on Wednesday.  They figure they might have to make water runs to shelters to fill the horse tubs up.

Luckily they have a fireplace and plenty of firewood so they can stay warm.  

Has anyone heard of any estimates or websites on power restoration?  Their zip code is 74851 and they have Canadian Valley for their electric cooperative.
Just a thought, Why not take a pot of ice/snow and melt it by the fireplace for the horses?
I don't know for certain, but I think it takes a lot of melting to get just a few gallons. Probably a lot of effort for not enough water. After talking to my Mom, I get the impression that horses go through a lot of water.

They're more interested in updates on possible power returning. Every phone number they have doesn't work, too many people calling the electric co, and we can't find a website that shows what their progress is.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Caught a busa going down the highway !!! It had to be a busa going that fast
thumb_up.gif

2007_ice_storm_106_sized.jpg

Just checked our DTN SCAN @ work and it looks like there is a possibility of this front on us now might be heading north and not hitting us with the full brunt of it. If we stay at or about 31 degrees we will get rain and very little ice. Our DTN SCAN shows us getting 0.2 to 0.6 tenths of ICE , So we might be in the clear. This is the 6TH straight day of work for us at KDOT, I have been putting in 18HR DAYS, All of my EO Operators are putting in 12"s. Hopefully we can manage this storm and make it a little safer, We still need people to use some common sense and stay home or drive only if it is necessary. See everybody in the morning, Hope all will be well. CAP , Hope everybody down your way is safe. I wish you all the best.

Back