Working on a cure for the common tiger tail...

Boosted Cycle Perf

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Those of you that went the route of a Tiger tail probably went that route because you probably have a bike that’s lowered with an extended swingarm, and possibly even have an extended tail section. They work well for allowing you to get the bike low, but probably hate that you don’t have trunk space anymore.

This is something I had to develop out of necessity. Usually gen 2 turbo bikes don’t require many aftermarket electronics because of the ability to do all the tuning through the ecu. However in my case with different things I’m testing, adding a data logger, egt canbus driver, air compressor and power distribution module, a standard tiger tail just wouldn’t work for me.

So after taking a few measurements on the stock sub frame, and a few clicks of the mouse, this is what I came up with in CAD. Then promptly cut one out on my cnc table.

It uses the main two front factory bolts on the subframe, and then bolts in to four other points on the subframe with self tappers. Measurements were spot on, and it dropped right in to place.

So initially I was thinking this this was going to be just a one off part for myself. I was going to design another piece to block the space between the top of the subframe and the actual tail to keep water and rubber out. And I was set to leave it pretty much like that. But after stacking in all the electronics the wheels started turning and came up with more ideas that would appeal to others.

For the battery hold down I came up with an adjustable shelf that goes over the ecu. The shelf allows for more flat space to mount electronics to. And with the ability to slide forward and backwards allows for someone to secure a smaller then stock battery. Or because the battery now sits two inches lower someone can take advantage of mounting a much bigger then stock battery as well. I’m going to design adjustable arms that attach to the top of the shelf to hold the battery from the sides too.

Aside from the battery hold down arms, I plan to make some panels for the sides to further help block out water/rubber.

Id also like some input from you guys as for some other features I could add to make this even better. If I get a really good feasible idea, I’ll give that person one of these once it’s finalized- absolutely FREE!

Ill post updates here when I have time to work on the design more.

A5C45A31-DEFB-40EE-A48D-8AE63F7E7914.jpeg

42718367-10F8-42CD-B5BE-C8C7BB1D3349.jpeg

5B4C1896-631A-41AF-BAFE-B1CF350E15F6.jpeg

So BCP, if you made a metal "trash can" for this mod I think a lot of people would buy it. I think what you are doing would get rid of the plastic totally?

You might also make a low profile version for people lowering their bikes. They would lose the trunk but get a little clearance.

So BCP, if you made a metal "trash can" for this mod I think a lot of people would buy it. I think what you are doing would get rid of the plastic totally?

You might also make a low profile version for people lowering their bikes. They would lose the trunk but get a little clearance.
Yes getting rid of the plastic all together to gain as much tire clearance and flat surface to mount electronics as possible.

For some reason I’ve never heard of that mod before. That would be super easy to make. I don’t think I have an extra unmolested trunk plastic to molest...

Well if you guys want a pre fabbed trash can trunk mod I’m more then happy to do it.

I finished up the battery holding parts in CAD this morning.

I messed up the order that the bends had to be done, so I had to make a minor field adjustments to complete the top bend. The concept is still the same so I went with it. All my first prototype parts end up on Lucy anyways. No sense in scraping a useable part even if it’s no to spec on the first try.

Overall I’m happy with it so far. So much more room for activities. Just need to seal off the back side of it and I’d consider it done.

Back