Anyone with experience with metal rods in them?

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
I guess its normal to get the what if jitters or whatever you called it. But Im just wondering if anyone has or knows someone first hand who has had rods surgically implanted in broken bones. Does it affect running, cold weather or anything? Ive got this dumb rod and 5 screws in my right tibia.

My prognosis is i will be back 100% doing what i should because whatever happens with other people is different than how my body will react but you know. Just docile curiosity

Im going insane with this thing on my leg as i can kinda move my foot and heal in it without pain and bend my knee as far as the stint/cast whatever this 15lb mass stupid thing is allows me. :banghead:

So anyways yeah first hand experiences or similar and timeframes are appreciated :thumbsup:

Well, I was involved in a Top Secret Government program called "Weapon X".
They injected Adamantium into my skeletal structure, making me almost indestructible. It hurt a bit, but the long-term benefits made it worthwhile.

hehehe.....i have metal pins and a rod in my arm. You will get used to it. It does tend to get colder in the winter it seems but i think they is more my imagination then anything. Your main problem will be more the arthritis you will eventually get probably.seems to go hand in hand with added parts....:laugh:

I guess its normal to get the what if jitters or whatever you called it. But Im just wondering if anyone has or knows someone first hand who has had rods surgically implanted in broken bones. Does it affect running, cold weather or anything? Ive got this dumb rod and 5 screws in my right tibia.

My prognosis is i will be back 100% doing what i should because whatever happens with other people is different than how my body will react but you know. Just docile curiosity

Im going insane with this thing on my leg as i can kinda move my foot and heal in it without pain and bend my knee as far as the stint/cast whatever this 15lb mass stupid thing is allows me. :banghead:

So anyways yeah first hand experiences or similar and timeframes are appreciated :thumbsup:

Dont worry about it they are most likely titainum no worries the only thing I ever seen is sometime they are cold sesitive thats it no big deal.

I had a titanium rod inserted in my femur back in the early 90's.
It was a great aid in healing as I didn't have to wear a full body cast due to the nature of the break. My leg healed up great and I have no limp when I walk (which is fortunate considering they told me to expect one).

I had no problem with cold or anything else. With the bar in, the bone was stronger than just bone, so I had no fear of working out or playing basketball with it in.

Then they took it out, the bone had healed nicely and I've had no problems with it since then.

Oh, and they gave me the bar when they took it out, so I have an interesting conversation piece.

Last edited:
I have a plate and 7 screws in my right arm (radius). It has been there since 91. They told me it would start to bother me and have to come out some day. The said it might be a year and it could be 10, but I would know when it needed to be removed. Almost 20 years now and no problems.

i have a titanium rod that goes from below my left knee to my above my ankle. the bone was completely broken and sticking out of my leg. i could not walk without the help of crutches for quite a while. i got it 13 years ago. i can still run, jump and do what i do. i do feel that it is there, and it kind of slows you down a bit, but not that bad. they said it would be permanant unless my body decideds to reject it. so far so good.

My biggest issue was having the use of only one hand, feel lucky it's your leg. Other than that, the vicoden took care of all my other problems until the rods were removed. The two parallel ones held the fractured radius and the other ones held the carpals that got knocked around and scrambled. Just exercise it as much as allowed to ensure future movement.

xray lable misc 005.jpg

Last edited:
I am sure ORTHO has discussed/explained healing/recovery with you. Have you been scheduled for post-op with Physical Therapy already? Between the two, almost all your questions about activity restrictions/limitations will be answered.

I am sure ORTHO has discussed/explained healing/recovery with you. Have you been scheduled for post-op with Physical Therapy already? Between the two, almost all your questions about activity restrictions/limitations will be answered.

Yeah i have my follow up tomorrow just been a real long week of wondering :whistle:

In 06 I had 6 screws and 2 plates and a disk put in my back. It has yet to get any better. I go to pool therapy 2 to 3 days a week and am in pain everyday. I do feel them when it gets cold. Sometimes they sting for some reason. No Dr can tell me what is going on. I am scared to let them go in and try to do anything else because I sure don't want it to get and worse. I know its not good news but everyone has a different reaction to these type of things. I wish you the best

Well, I have screws and plates in both of my wrists. I know when every weather change is happening.

My son has a rod in his femur. He got it from a car accident back in 03 and still has it in there. They wanted to take it out but we decided against it because it was another surgery and him having it left in there was not going to be a problem.
He has no ill effects that I know of. He never compalins about it hurting and he has been able to do all the things he did before he got it. He does set off metal detectors tho.

I have 3 plates, 2 pins and 13 screws in my hip from a car wreck. I can feel it in the MN winters here, but its nothing a few tylenol cant get rid of.

Broke my right femur(in 5 places)in a crash back around '98 and have a bar with 13 screws running almost from my hip to my knee.Bugged me for a while but can't say i notice any adverse effects anymore.:thumbsup:

Yes. I am way to much experience with rods and screws. I've had a rod in my femur once and my tibia twice. My doctor left the hardware in for two years before removing it. I have no side effects from either case. Just make sure you keep your knee moving. It sucks when you lose range of motion and have to goto therapy to get it back. :whistle:

rods.JPG

rods2.JPG

Yes. I am way to much experience with rods and screws. I've had a rod in my femur once and my tibia twice. My doctor left the hardware in for two years before removing it. I have no side effects from either case. Just make sure you keep your knee moving. It sucks when you lose range of motion and have to goto therapy to get it back. :whistle:

Niceee. Did it have to be removed cause of pain or anything or did you just have it removed just because?

Yeah i got some better xray pics of my rod but the stupid cd is formatted weird so i cant extract them off. Im going to have to play with the cd a bit to get them off. I havent had any aches/pains so far with the rod so i think all is going well. Only time will tell. Thanks guys for all the replies :thumbsup:

I look forward to knowing all my other metal rod/plate brothers here on the Org :thumbsup:

Back