Planning my trip for next year...Artic Circle....solo....

theshnizzle

Rainbow of Skittles
Registered
So it's time for this s**t to get serious, I have already started to plan for my solo ride up north of Fairbanks Alaska,camping there and back.Destination....Artic Circle. I need 20 days and min. of 45 fill-ups to get there and back. Oh....and $2000 bucks. I will be travelling/riding by myself,self sufficient with all my gear and food on board. A jerry can of fuel and perhaps a spare rear.( tire!!)

Can I make it up the Haul Road on a busa with pretty much zero dirt skils? Dunno....but that is all part of what makes an adventure....the unexpected and the foolhardy. Take a V-Strom or a Beemer or a Bandit are the cries from the crowd.....Nope, the busa. No special mods or uber farkes,just me,her,gear,food and a healthy dose of innocence and ignorance.

I will plan as best I can,routes,campsites,stealth and otherwise,sights ect...the usual, but it will prolly be like most of my trips,load 'er up, point and go and hope for the best!!

If anyone is interested I put almost 23,000 miles on my busa this season, since early May......till now.

The Busa :nervous:

Use the proper tools for the job :poke:

adventure bike.jpg

adventure bike2.jpg

:laugh: As I told my freinds when we made a right turn that was soft gravel at the begining and then turned into dirt an sand.. "lets take a step back regroup and think this through.." :laugh: We took an alternate path

If you do decide to take this mission we will deny any knowledge of your actions

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

adventure bike.jpg

adventure bike2.jpg

Best of luck to ya! I KNOW you are gonna love it. Just a bit of advice tho.....If yo can afford a sat phone, get one. As long as someone knows to come looking if you don't make contact by a cetain time or date. BUGS are gonna be a b*&^h. Bear spray would be a good little sumthin' to pack and have readily available. 1st aide kit and camera are givens, Prepare to eat a lot of dust and I think that tire problems will be a main concern. you'll get your teeth rattled good so make sure everything is checked at least daily. You can camp anywhere along the route (from Fairbanks you can pretty much only go one way) Fairbanks has an Alaska Public Lands info center that can give you up to date road conditions. Never, EVER pass up a chance to get fuel and thinking of maybe 2 small cans to bring would't hurt. It has been my experience that if something happens on remote road systems in Alaska, a lot of people that might come by are very willing to help. especially us gurls.... :thumbs: Most people here have a good amount of respect for anyone out doing stuff in remote areas and I have always been able to find a bit of help when needed.
You'll never be able to pack for every contigency but hope for the best and just make sure you have a good plan just in case something happens and you need help ASAP. If'n you change your mind and want some company, I'll gear up my Busa and join ya!

Rio

a spare tire!?....sheesh! how bout just getting one of them tire repair kits Pashnit sells?
am debating either to ride to NC (busa bash 2012) in April (2000 mile round trip) or do some track days.

Good luck!! I am sure this is already on the list but a gun and a good size knife would be top of my list! I admire your spunk girl!!! :thumbsup: Wish you much success and safe travels. Enjoy the journey!!! :cheerleader:

Maybe a satellite phone for just in case emergency. Plan for everything you can think of that could go wrong. Best of luck.

What an adventure! Sounds awesome.
You forgot to mention a camera or gopro to capture everything we will demand :)

My first two items to pack would be a pistol for self defense and a sat phone.
All else won't matter if your sitting outside at night in the middle of nowhere waiting for help to come or pass by. We've talked about guns before and I understand your views just think about it.

Sounds like an awesome two wheel adventure and I wish you the best of luck and times on your journey.
I agree with others that suggest a different bike though...XLR 650 Honda would still be a challenge???

I'm green with envy since that is my plan for June, 2014! (present to self for retirement). I will, however, be using the below bike...you know used dual purpose bikes aren't that expensive and they really reduce wear, tear and rock damage to Busas! In any case, I salute your adventuresome spirit. Doyle

front fork swap001.jpg

P1000906.JPG

have a friend that did it on a dual sport from Seattle up way north. The busa just isnt the tool for that job but its a hellova adventure for sure :beerchug:

Found a couple of his pix for you. Dont forget you will need to haul most any/everything you might need with you. And these were late spring/early summer, he said it was a mud pit along the roadway that even the knobby tires had issues with :banghead:

eric1.jpg

eric2.jpg

You can do it on a Busa - I know one person that has - and know of another. There was also a guy last year that did it on a ZX-14. Not the best bike for the haul road, but it's doable. Be prepared that your bike will not be as pretty once you are done :laugh:

now that sounds fun! definitely get lots of pics and keep a diary for those of us who might follow that path in the future :beerchug:

If, only IF you are considering a dual sport bike, remember that lowering kits are perfect for people 5"6" and shorter, without loosing suspension travel. The issue one must consider with a Busa is that, by design, the oil filter/radiator area, (including plastic cowling) is VERY vulnerable to rocks and debris being thrown up by the front tire. To compound that issue, the worse the roads, the more aggressive a tire you will need for the job...therefore you will tend to throw much more damaging stuff up with tread patterns that give you more control. Also, when you add in the lousy leverage issues with sportbike clipon bars, long wet ruts, fractured rock surfaces, and potentially higher center of gravity due to luggage, it creates the perfect storm for nose down crashing(front end washouts)....at any speed. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "rain on your parade", just trying to be realistic about some things that must be pondered for such an ambitious adventure. Doyle

Back