HELP, my fans will not turn off....

ZbornacSVT

Registered
06 busa with second fan mod completed.

Washed the bike and took her out for a dry, very thing seemed fine. As I pulling in the driveway the fans kicked on, no biggie. Interesting thing was the fans stayed on when I turned the bike off and removed the key! They do not shut off unless I pull the neg cable on the battery. Also noticed the temp gauge would be at the middle mark, but then instantly peg into red, but no red light.....and visa versa....

Ran the bike 2 or 3 more times to duplicate issue and it happened very time the fans kick in.

I really need to get this figured out in the next day as I have plans this weekend and motoGP next week!

Any help is appreciated.

Pull the manual. The temp gauge and fan switch are separate circuits and have nothing to do with each other from memory. Pull the schematics. You put a twist in the conversation when you state you added a second fan.

But given your comments about the gauge along with the fans it leads me to think you have a cooling system issue. Have you ever changed the fluids ?

Second fan was added last year and fluids.were changed last at that time. No issues last year. Bike has been sitting for a while.

I am not convinced I don't have two issues. The fans staying on even with the key removed is what concerns me the most at this time.

Pull the manuals. It's temp switch operated. Very simple circuit, and then there's ....... I just washed the bike. You could have a ground issue.

I would check the fan relay..it might have got wet and sticking when its activated..

+1 on this.

Having just reviewed the schematic very carefully to troubleshoot my own fan... I disagree. The negative side of the fan goes through the relay. In other words, when the temp switch is hot (overheated), it activates the relay, which connects the neg side of the fan to ground. The positive side of the fan goes to the fuse, then to the ignition switch. The ignition switch has to be on for the fan to operate. If the fan is on when the ignition switch is off, then I would look for an issue with the ignition switch... water or otherwise.

If the relay was stuck on, then the fan would still not operate without the key switch on.

If you did any fancy wiring as part of the 2nd fan upgrade, then this info may not apply.

That makes more sense to me.

I've let the thing sit and plan to do some testing in the morning when she's fully dried out. I'm betting my issues will be gone.

That makes more sense to me.

I've let the thing sit and plan to do some testing in the morning when she's fully dried out. I'm betting my issues will be gone.

You can never be sure with intermittent problems. We all want our rides running right, but I would be concerned; happy but concerned. Besides I get caught in the rain once in awhile. Best of luck. You've pulled the schematic and sounds like you'll get it figured out.

No change this morning. Pulled relays, checked fuses and followed wires looking for anything to stick out. Nothing looked out of place. Checked coolant levels and it is fine. Went through the system burp charades and all was good.

Crap. I don't know what to look into next.

After looking through the wiring diagrams, I think the most likely culprit is the cooling Fan Control Relay. If I read the diagrams correctly the positive side of the fan is connected via Fuse #6 directly to the positive terminal of the battery via the Main Fuse in the Starter Relay.

If you trace the red wire from the Starter Relay (after the Main 30A fuse), it connects directly to the positive side of Fuse#6 as well as (not via) the positive side of the key switch. The negative side of the Fuse#6 (Orange wire w/Red Tracer) connects directly to the positive side of the Fan. The negative side of the fan (black wire w/Red Tracer) connects to the positive terminal of the switched side of the relay. The negative side of the of the switched side of the relay (black wire w/White tracer) connects directly to the negative terminal of the Battery. The key switch is not in this loop.

It is the positive side of the Cooling Fan Thermo switch (which when powered powers the magnet that closes the relay) that is switched by the key switch.

This means that it is probably that the cooling Fan Control Relay is frozen in the closed position. This would cause the fan to run even with the Key out of the bike.

Here is my suggestion for diagnosing:
1. Disconnect the ground on the battery.
2. Remove the Left Side Upper Dash Panel
3. Remove the Cooling Fan Relay (pg. 5-7 of the service manual found here: Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa 1999-2000 Service Manual | Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles
4. Reconnect the battery (Fan should not be running)
5. Turn on the Bike (Fan should still not be running)
6. Turn off the Bike
7. Disconnect the Battery
8. Replace the Relay
9. Reconnect the Battery (If the relay is fused the fans will come on)

Sometimes relays just get stuck, and it is possible that removing and replacing it will cause it to correct itself. Regardless, if the fans don't come on after the relay is removed, that is your problem and I'd suggest replacing the relay.

--Sky

If you have a volt ohmeter you might be able to do a simpler process, but it doesn't matter, sounds like you need a relay. If you ran both fans through this relay you might be pulling to much current through it. It's not common, but I have seen welded contacts on relays.

Sky do you know if the Gen II relay will work the Gen I ?

I came to the sane conclusion earlier andI just left the shop with a $10 relay. Won't be back home till later to try, but will post up the results.

I was just thinking that he doubled the load on the relay with the added fan, and that he might need to go with a Gen II relay if the new one messes up down the road. Best of luck with the relay.

Direct replacement
No, I understand that. I was wondering if you've got wires hanging out of it or if it had blades. Plug in vs. wire in. The thing is you have added more load to the contact side of the relay and it might not handle it. But I don't have any specs on it or your added fan, so I don't know. Probably best to just throw the 10 buck relay in and see what happens at this point.

Back