Akra exhaust install questions

Sloto200

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...
Donating Member
Registered
Look to see if anyone can tell me what the little springs attach to where the header meets the motor. The piece of metal that the header bolts go through have little holes in them and i'm assuming this is where the springs connect to but i'm not sure as to why they would need to be in there? The springs obviously hold the rest of the exhaust pieces together but why is there springs up where the headers meet the engine.

does anyone have any pointers at all in an install cause the header pipes on the right side of the engine dont line up at all and i cant figure out what to do....

The pipes should line up easily. What is not fitting right? Pictures would help greatly.

Yes, springs go up near the exhaust manifold.

I'll give you a little tip. Leave the exhaust bolts by the header a little lose. You will have to get the mid pipe on first before tightening the header bolts. Trust me..I know.

hogger...

<!--EDIT|hogger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154128297 -->

117_1730paint.JPG

springs are fun too!

Give yourself time. Do not rush the install. Took me most of the day on mine but well worth it.

I don't want to come off wrong here but do you have the left and right pipe reveresed? Probably not.

hogger...

<!--EDIT|hogger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154128513 -->

117_1730.JPG

i had to take the "y" pipes off the header pipes in order to get them to fit into the motor. Now i have to put the y pipe back on so than i can fit the mid pipe as well. Thanks for the pics hogger... those springs are what i was wondering about. I'll give your tips a shot... at this point anything that anyone has to say should help cause i'm out of ideas...

just slow down a little and take a break. It will come about. I did not have to seperate the pipes on my install? Hmm..I have the evo system..maybe different.

Right in front of the putter or call if you wish.

End result? Here ya go! Take that decal off also..keeps them guessin..

hogger...

117_1729paint.JPG

well...now i cant get the y pipe on....my pacients is thin and i'm out of strength trying to man handle it... i think i'm just going to pack it in for the night... i might just take it all apart and start over...

well...now i cant get the y pipe on....my pacients is thin and i'm out of strength trying to man handle it... i think i'm just going to pack it in for the night... i might just take it all apart and start over...
sometimes this is best. The hardest part is removing the stock.

Really..it should be going rather smoothly. Bolt one side..then the other..leave loose..install mid pipe..tighten headers..tighten mid pipes.

I might suggest heat shielding the inner fairings, front to back as well as below on the bottom wing. Gets hot..melts plastic..

Shoot GPW a email and see what he did..

hogger...

well i went back at it and couldnt leave it alone... i removed the right header pipes and reinstalled the y pipe and for what ever reason the header pipes when right on this time... i'm going to install the mid pipe now so here we go!!
tounge.gif

also i've been using antiseize to help the tubes slide together better and it helps...says it can stand up to 1600 degrees so i figured it was safe to use... anyone know any different???

also i've been using antiseize to help the tubes slide together better and it helps...says it can stand up to 1600 degrees so i figured it was safe to use... anyone know any different???
should not hurt..I have an email into GPW so he might chime in..unless he is out braking the law again!

laugh.gif

well i went back at it and couldnt leave it alone... i removed the right header pipes and reinstalled the y pipe and for what ever reason the header pipes when right on this time... i'm going to install the mid pipe now so here we go!!  
tounge.gif
see!! all is good!!

no worries..

hogger...

I am at work...but I can chime in. Put it together on the floor first then on the bike. Sorry about the install instructions, I tossed them never looked at them myself. I did not put the springs on near the header but since you started you might as well put them in. I hope you worked it out. if you need to call me: 240-674-2695...greg

Hogger, yep I am breaking the law, its the end of the month so you know what that means...

I might suggest heat shielding the inner fairings, front to back as well as below on the bottom wing. Gets hot..melts plastic..
How many people heat shield there fairings?
And how do you do it.

I know a lot of people have te Akra's but haven't seen anyone talk about heat shields.
thats a good question... i'm going to go out and look for some "heat tape" tomorrow before i reinstall my plastics... we use a heat insulating tape on some of our wire bundles on aircraft so i know what it looks like but i just dont know where to get it... i'm gonna try lowes/home depot and maybe harbor freight and see what i come up with.

I got it all installed and it sounds great... but like i said above i'm going out tomorrow to look for some heat shield or tape of some sort to line the inside of my plastics so i dont have an issue with melting. Thanks to all who chimed in with help! Much appreciated!

I have read that "you do not" heat wrap titanium. Period. I realize your system has a stainless steel header however.

I bought mine from sNt. It is just a shielding with an adheasive backing about the size of a piece of paper. Just cut with sissors to length/width.

Use it all up. Don't be shy. I went pretty high up on mine and go clear to the rear of the fairing.

Job well done but, no pics?

hogger...

i dont plan on wrapping the pipes unless i cant find an of this adhesive heat sheild or tape... what you speak of is what i'm looking for so i'll be on the look out for something like this tomorrow.

Back