Zx-14

Big K

Registered
I was wanting to get some opinions on which bike you think is faster. The Gen.1 busa or the ZX-14. I have a guy I work with that just purchased a 07 ZX-14 and all that he has done to it so far is the remove the flies. He has been asking me to race him in a roll on but I have never raced a 14 before. So honestly I have no clue. I am a fairly decent rider.

The question isn't which bike is faster...the question is "Is his bike faster than yours?" because that's what you're gonna find out when you race. It is more likely up to the riders involved rather than the bikes. So if you win he will think his bike is slower, and if he wins, you will think your bike is slower.

Same rider on each bike, I believe the 14 may just out edge the Gen I.

Ooops, I meant Gen I

Last edited:
I was wanting to get some opinions on which bike you think is faster. The Gen.1 busa or the ZX-14. I have a guy I work with that just purchased a 07 ZX-14 and all that he has done to it so far is the remove the flies. He has been asking me to race him in a roll on but I have never raced a 14 before. So honestly I have no clue. I am a fairly decent rider.

The bike are so close in performance that it will come down to who is the best rider...whoever gets the jump is probably gonna win :beerchug:

The faster bike is the one with the better more experienced rider in this instance.....

:fight:

There is not enough difference between the power both bikes make to say that one would outright walk away from the other, despite what others might chime in with... The better rider and or the smaller lighter rider will win when these two machines are matched up... I own a Busa and have a buddy with a ZX14.. We switch from time to time.. At 6'2 and 255 I out weigh him by 50 lbs easy.. I have 25 years riding fast bikes he has about 7..
I out run hime on either machine almost every time because I shift quicker and at different points than he does, not to mention I will hold the throttle wide open in situiations that he may only feel confident at 80% - 90%..

Just my 2 cents..

Here's my take based on my experience. My son has a 2006 ZX-14. When I had my 2006 'busa (gen I), it was back & forth--in other workds--he's win one, I'd win one, etc, etc, etc. With my 2008 'busa (gen II), I come out on top more than him.

i had my 07 zx14 with brocks megaphone and brocks map and a 07 busa stock and we did couple of roll ons from 50 to 140 and the busa was right there with me till 120 then i started to pull away.
and i had the flies out too.
you be suprised how good the busa's midrange power is.:thumbsup:

bottomline comes to rider skill and weight.

it's been my experience that in stock garb?...a genI busa can get the drop on a 14 at under triple digits but the game changes as you pass the 120 mark and the 14 begins to shine it's few more cc's...from 140 on up the 14 will start to crawl away...and by 160?...the 14 will begin to walk away...however...there ain't many folk out there with a GenI, GenII or a 14 that leave them stock...and the mods and performance upgrades available out there for these 3 bikes can make any one of'em far more formidable than the other two in a heartbeat...alls it's takes is a desire for more power and the cash to go along with it.

jmho & l8r, Bill. :cool:

Last spring I ran my Gen 1 back to back with an 08 ZX-14 on the local shop's dyno.
My bike 149HP
ZX-14 158HP
If I remember correctly, Kawi tweaked the 08's a little to try to keep up with the "new" Gen 2 Busa.
Anyway, both bikes stock, mine with 1400 miles at the time, the ZX with 900 miles. 9HP difference.

Stock bike against stock bike with comparable riders the ZX14 will win. However in the real world the bikes are never modded the same and the riders are never the same. The way to beat the ZX14 is to start at a very low speed or at a stand still. Even with his flies out the ZX14 doesnt run well until 4 to 5 thousand RPM unless he has a power commander installed. Weight and gearing are very close but the ZX14 has more horsepower. Of course, if you are racing my ZX14 none of the above matters...you lose...ha !!! j/k j/k (no flames pleez)

zx14r.jpg

i'm not trying to knock the zx14 but i heard that they are a little sluggish stock compared to the busa.
either way good luck have fun be safe

I can tell you this,my 05 busa with pipe and power commander dynoed 163 hp.The following year same dyno my o6 14 with pipe 178.as far which is faster...I would say my 14.Cheers

both nice bikes my 04 LE with pipe, and PC I raced a 14 on interstate at roll on and was neck and neck till the 14 started to pull ahead at about 130 :beerchug:

experience an weight be a factor but I recommend you take it to the track to find out..... they are both to fast to find that out in the street.......and enough of this rolling start crap that s not a race.:laugh: Heads up with a tree or stop watch on a circuit:whistle:

Back