Zip Ties for Water Hoses?

Mythos

Registered
Ya, I already know this is iffy. I have all the water hoses off and the stock hardware including hose clamps probably weighs about 1/2-3/4 lb. I'd like to eliminate that. Will zip ties work in place of hose clamps? Obviously they would need to be replaced every few thousand miles to be safe. Has anyone tried this?

+1

No zip ties
In order to get them tight enough to even make an attempt at holding the pressure in your cooling system they will eat right through the hose.
Don't get stranded because the zip tie either broke the rubber or didn't hold it tight enough...

Thanks folks. Darn. I was hoping I could loose some weight on this.

How about the large zip ties, they are about 1/4 inch wide. Think they would work without biting into the hoses?

Eh, I'm about to give up on this. I guess it's not worth the risk of blowing a hose off while I'm riding and me getting a bath with 250 degree coolant.

Your worried about ½ lb of weight?

If that was the case just run with a cup less of gas. :laugh: and you would save that much weight.

Unless you are going for some speed record the Busa would not notice even 10-20 Lbs. of weight difference.

Want a lighter bike? Try Nitrogen in the tires instead of air. :laugh:

on average, my poop weighs around 3 lbs. so I poop before I ride :)

:rofl:

WOW, a 3 lb dump! I gotta start weighing myself before and after.

Actually, guys, this is the Ninja I'm tinkering with. The busa is mostly stock but I take all the stuff off of both bikes that I can.

The wheels, battery and exhaust make up a large portion of the weight loss but I'd say half of it was just unnecessary parts. The 14 is almost a hundred lbs lighter than stock. It makes a difference. I'm taking off the tail subframe and there is a small left side subframe coming off too. Another 3 lbs, at least.

Of course, some weight gets added from certain aftermarket parts like the Ohlins rear suspension and NOS.

Back