Zero Gravity DB helmet buffeting at high speed

ddd269

Registered
Hey guys.

I've had the ZG double bubble for about 2 months now and feel heavy wind buffeting from the air that's directed from the windshield at speeds beyond 180kph(110mph) or so. It's mostly from the right side... I know this because I put my hand out to block the wind and it's calm when I do. Also, I can position my head a bit off center towards the left and the buffeting will decrease, but still noticeable. It's a high frequency vibration that will make my vision blur.

At first, I thought it was my new helmet, but I tried my old one (same model different material) and the results were the same. I'll have to change the windshield back to stock and test but even at 280kph+ it was relatively calm with the stock... or maybe it had so little coverage that the the air pressure was even all around so didn't create the helmet shake?

This kind of goes against the general consensus... right? We change to the double bubble for more wind protection at speeds. I liked the benefit of being able to read the dash without ducking my head at lower speeds... sigh.

photo-21.jpg

photo-21.jpg

I have one also and have noticed some wind at high speeds. I was under the impression that it was made so you can tuck under it easier. I put the Tobin seat on mine to sit me down in the bike and it did help a little. I have got use to it and I don't pay any attention to it anymore. Good luck

Same here ,once I switched to the double bubble I started getting lots of buffeting at high speed that I did not before. The next Busa will keep the stock screen.

I was getting a lot of buffeting with the stock screen and switched to a Puig DB. Very smooth at high speed, love it. I have pretty wide shoulders (wide butt too :laugh:) and I'm 6'-1/2".

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I thought I was being a bit peculiar. :laugh:

I'm thinking the narrow upper bubble directs the air as narrow as its shape. It's ok to tuck in at speeds but you do have to lift your head once in a while but shouldn't shake your helmet so much to the point it feels like I have my head up against a massaging chair.

I'll change to the stock and I'll report in after I do some hauling @ss.

I was getting a lot of buffeting with the stock screen and switched to a Puig DB. Very smooth at high speed, love it. I have pretty wide shoulders (wide butt too :laugh:) and I'm 6'-1/2".

Is it smooth only when you tuck in or smooth while you're semi upright too(between tuck and city riding position) at higher speeds?

Is it smooth only when you tuck in or smooth while you're semi upright too(between tuck and city riding position) at higher speeds?

I feel its a big improvement in all conditions. I would not go back to the stock screen. I can't say it's better than this one or that one, but I can definitely say it smooths the air out in all conditions up to 160 mph (highest I've had it to).

I have a ZG Touring (clear) for sale...if you want to give it a try :)

What brand of helmet are you wearing? Some are street helmets, and others race helmets! At those speeds you need a good fitting race helmet! IMO

I feel its a big improvement in all conditions. I would not go back to the stock screen. I can't say it's better than this one or that one, but I can definitely say it smooths the air out in all conditions up to 160 mph (highest I've had it to).

Same here for me, all around improvement.

P1010002.jpg

What brand of helmet are you wearing? Some are street helmets, and others race helmets! At those speeds you need a good fitting race helmet! IMO

I have two Premier Dragon Helmets. The Titanium 1 model and Carbon model.
Premier Dragon T1
Premier Dragon Carbon
Superbike sponsor

They are race proven helmets so I know it's not the helmet... plus it didn't have the buffeting before the ZG even at 300kph (speedo display, so it's probably around 270kph true speed).

I changed the windshield to stock so all I need to do is a speed test. I'm going to a track tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know.

I just can't stand not being able to see the top half of the dash with the stock shield!

Get your head down, the buffeting will go away!

Yeah... that's what I had to do to stop from everything looking like I was going warp speed. The problem is when I have to slow down. I have to bring myself up to slow down and it feels like I have a massager on my helmet. :laugh:

Ok... got the stock screen on and rode like crazy. The wind rush increased overall but the air directed at the right side of the helmet was gone. So, it was the ZG that was doing it at higher speeds. I have no idea how aerodynamics work but it wasn't working with the ZG and my bike at higher speeds.

Don't get me wrong. It is a good looking windshield and maybe it didn't work for me because of my posture over the bike or maybe because of my size (6'1" 210lb.). So, I'm in search of another windshield. Maybe the Puig or the Suzuki touring.

btw, I need to look for a new busa as I went down the same day I tried the stock shield again. The shop thinks that the insurance will write the bike off as the damage will surpass 70% of the cost of a new one.

I get the same thing with the Puig. The standard screen directs the flow at my chest, and also I couldn't see the instruments. I think you'll find just about any screen will have its limitations one way or another. Anything over 100mph you're probably going to have to tuck, unless you buy one of those butt-ugly things that make your Busa look like a Goldwing!

Back