Your thoughts on chain

teezy

Registered
Does this look right? Seems like something is not right

- YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is way off, check the alignment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The noise does sound like an alignment problem. Chain looks to be too tight as well. Hope you get it sorted out.

When you swap swingarms are you suppose to transfer the black chain guard/chain pad? does that space the swing arm over?

Sounds as if the chain rolls direct over your swingarm. metal on metal

i cant even see the black chain guard (right term???) on your swingarm.
Did you swap to a 16 sprocket ?
If you stretch and change front sprocket you must use lowering links to avoid just what you have now.
If you dont change links, a longer swingarm will have the same effect as risinglink (my terms:bowdown:)

As your stand seems to fit to the swingarm-hole your wheel will drop down a little more and the chain will rub on the turning point of the swingarm.

redoo work and mount the black plastic guide.

Sounds as if the chain rolls direct over your swingarm. metal on metal

Its acts like the links are not lubed up and are sticking.

i cant even see the black chain guard (right term???) on your swingarm.

the black guard is not on there

Did you swap to a 16 sprocket ?

the bike already had a 16t on it. the sprockets are the same from when it was short.

If you stretch and change front sprocket you must use lowering links to avoid just what you have now.
If you dont change links, a longer swingarm will have the same effect as risinglink (my terms:bowdown:)

it does have lowering links on the bottome setting. The bike is supported in the center not on the swingarm in the video

redoo work and mount the black plastic guide.

gonna tear it back down in a day or two

Im wondering it I was suppose to transfer this
SU-04-2005-7813.gif

YES, you need the black piece that the chain rubs on. It acts as a spacer, IIRC

And it is hard to tell, but it looks like some of the links are bound up and do not want to move??

I had an issue similar to this...when i put it on the stand and spun the wheel slowly by hand I could see the chain make a slight shift in it's position as if the links were getting jammed up together and not wanting to turn. used some liquid wrench after taking the tire mounts off (not the axel obviously, but gave it some room to move freely) and it got a lot better. I'm pretty sure it started due to the front sprocket wear and misshifts when riding it hard. Replaced the sprockets and it worked fine but I'd also check for wear on your chain slider (whatever the piece of steel is called that your links slide across when coming over the top of your bike) to make sure that it's straight and not jammed up with too much lube putting a sideways tension on your chain.
-easy way to test that one is put it on a stand and let it idle in neutral while standing behind the wheel looking town the chain; a little movement is easy this way.

Edit, after watching....where the hell is your chain rail guide in the first place? don't you have to have that to keep the chain from sagging into the swingarm where it meets the top of the front sprocket???

YES, you need the black piece that the chain rubs on. It acts as a spacer, IIRC

that would make complete sense!!

And it is hard to tell, but it looks like some of the links are bound up and do not want to move??

The bike had a stock chain with a 16/42 setup. A friend told me that maybe the front sprocket needs to be turned around.

I had an issue similar to this...when i put it on the stand and spun the wheel slowly by hand I could see the chain make a slight shift in it's position as if the links were getting jammed up together and not wanting to turn. used some liquid wrench after taking the tire mounts off (not the axel obviously, but gave it some room to move freely) and it got a lot better. I'm pretty sure it started due to the front sprocket wear and misshifts when riding it hard. Replaced the sprockets and it worked fine but I'd also check for wear on your chain slider (whatever the piece of steel is called that your links slide across when coming over the top of your bike) to make sure that it's straight and not jammed up with too much lube putting a sideways tension on your chain.
-easy way to test that one is put it on a stand and let it idle in neutral while standing behind the wheel looking town the chain; a little movement is easy this way.

Edit, after watching....where the hell is your chain rail guide in the first place? don't you have to have that to keep the chain from sagging into the swingarm where it meets the top of the front sprocket???

I didnt install it because looking at TRAC website they dont use the stock one. They have pads they sell for them.

with the wheels off the ground your suspension is unsprung. it sounds like the chain is rubbing on the swingarm. as for the crush drive, if it's loose, replace the crush rubbers.

Is that a stock arm or aftermarket??

If it is stock, you MUST have the black piece.

If it is a TRAC, then call them and ask. I think they only use a phenolice block and not the black spacer

Back