Would you recommend purchasing a Gen 3 with the issues it has?

Gen3lover

Registered
I’m considering buying a Gen 3 and have been reading a lot of threads here concerning issues with the QS, hot restart problems , front brake master cylinder failing.
Honestly it’s making me think twice about getting one. No bike is perfect, maybe I’m spending too much time on the negatives.
I love the Gen 3 for a lot of reasons but don’t want to regret buying one.
To those of you who own one, would you recommend a Gen 3 to someone?

I think this comes up a lot and we (as a collective hive mind) have kind of decided it really depends on WHY you want a Gen 3. If you want a big CC bike that does everything well and plan on doing a pipe and maybe a tune and cruising with your friends with the occasional blast on the freeway, they are great. The QS can sometimes be glitchy, but it's not the end of the world. The ergonomics, cruise control, power, and general all-around quality of the bike still make it a great bike. If you're looking for a comfortable touring bike? Its an awesome bike packed with power and modern features.

If you're going to go above and beyond and try to have a bike that is all out fast, that is still fun to ride? A gen 2 may be a better bet.

Knowing what i know now about my Gen 3, if i could do it all over again I would buy a Gen 2 but i bought my bike to be a pretty much max effort race bike. It has taken me almost 2x the money in mods to make my gen 3 run like a gen 2 and I have done a lot of things that the average rider isn't willing to do (remove brakes etc). I still enjoy how easy the cruise control and rider features are of my gen 3 though.

Remember that the forum accentuates these problems because there are at most a few hundred of us active in the Gen 3 section, and when we chime in "yeah i had the QS thing happen to me on a ride today" that was 1 or 2 shifts of hundreds? Thousands? that were made by forum members for the weekend. Its annoying to you when it happens, but its not the end of the world and it is once or twice every 200 miles not every time you grab second gear.

I have a gen 3 and I’m at 4,400 miles and I would definitely but again. In fact I’m thinking of ordering a 2024 anniversary just for the color but I just don’t want 2 motorcycles the same and I love my 2022 so much I would hate to get rid of it.

I only had the hot restart issue twice when the bike was brand new and it hasn’t happened since in a year and a half, and when it did happen it only lasted for 5 seconds for both incidents.

I’ve never had the front brake master cylinder issue and my bike has sit for months at a time.

The QS issue is the only issue I’ve had and it only happens about 1 out of a hundred upshifts and only happens on the 2-3 shift. I’m not sure if I’m on the track but I’ve noticed that if I completely remove all pressure from underneath my shifter it works flawless, I rode Sunday and used my QS more than ever doing my own testing and it only hiccuped one time from 2nd to 3rd which was the only shift I think I did not let all the way off the shifter.

You have to make your own decision but for me if I were looking for a big size sport tourer that does almost everything really well I would definitely buy again. The cruise control and electronics is a great package to have on a sport bike.

Good luck!

This is my gen 3, I’ve done quite a bit of upgrades but all for comfort, the only engine upgrade is Yoshi slip-ons that I mainly did for looks but they sound great.

D50A529F-D93D-4FEC-852C-1116CF59D3E7.jpeg

I’m considering buying a Gen 3 and have been reading a lot of threads here concerning issues with the QS, hot restart problems , front brake master cylinder failing.
Honestly it’s making me think twice about getting one. No bike is perfect, maybe I’m spending too much time on the negatives.
I love the Gen 3 for a lot of reasons but don’t want to regret buying one.
To those of you who own one, would you recommend a Gen 3 to someone?
I'm a Gen 3 outsider as I ride a Gen 2....

That being said, if I was shopping for a bike right now, I'd definitely have a Gen 3 at the top of my list....

I don’t hang a four pound helmet on my mirrors, jus sayin.
That’s definitely your choice!

I normally carry it inside with me but that restaurant was closed for two weeks vacation so I got off to stretch my legs and get back on. I definitely prefer the mirror than to have a thousand dollar helmet fall off the seat to get scratched. Yes theirs always the gravel or grass where drunks pee I guess.

All your comments are much appreciated. I had my heart set on a Gen 3 but my research led me to a bunch of negative (but honest) comments and it twisted my head around.

I plan on adding a pipe or slip-on’s, getting a tune, double bubble windshield and just cruise around and enjoy. No long trips. No track days.
Maybe a few carbon fiber pieces later.

Thanks for setting me straight!!

All depends what you want to use it for, if I didn’t get the Gen 3 for the price I paid I most certainly wouldn’t have paid full sticker price for it.

The QS problem can be fixed by replacing it with an aftermarket unit as I can’t see Suzuki fixing it any time soon.

If I put the Gen 3 side by side with a Gen 2 and had the full amount to spend, the 2 would be in the garage with some tasty mods.

I normally carry it inside with me but that restaurant was closed for two weeks vacation so I got off to stretch my legs and get back on. I definitely prefer the mirror than to have a thousand dollar helmet fall off the seat to get scratched. Yes theirs always the gravel or grass where drunks pee I guess.
Why not put hooks under the back seat?

All your comments are much appreciated. I had my heart set on a Gen 3 but my research led me to a bunch of negative (but honest) comments and it twisted my head around.

I plan on adding a pipe or slip-on’s, getting a tune, double bubble windshield and just cruise around and enjoy. No long trips. No track days.
Maybe a few carbon fiber pieces later.

Thanks for setting me straight!!
Go full exhaust. Slipons arent much diffrent than OE. Tune and airfilter and maybe velocity stacks. Zero Gravity Double Bubble are great.

I've experienced every issue, and I'd still recommend the Gen 3. None have been a deal-breaker for me. It's just momentary peskiness. No hard feelings!

It's not like MotoMillion's Panigale V4 SP2 that came with a leaking oil pan, or their M 1000 RR that threw error codes and had cooling issues out of the crate.

EDIT: If you wanna hang with the fast bikes and won't miss the Gen 3's new design and features, just save a lot of cash by getting a Gen 2, and mod it away.

Look anywhere online and you'll hit the same wall: the Gen 3 needs "hard drugs" to go be outstandingly fast compared to literbikes or the ZX-14R, which basically takes just a loving tap on the butt to yield 200 WHP.

Even with a race intake, full exhaust system, velocity stacks, custom tune, carbon fiber wheels, ceramic wheel bearings, chain and sprocket kit, the Gen 3 is just not competitive.

Unless you do really invasive mods like the 1600cc package on 650ib's bike or something from Carpenter, the reality is the Gen 3 has shoddy horsepower to dollar ratio in terms of bolt-ons. Those small cams and throttle bodies can only take you so far.

Last edited:
Go full exhaust. Slipons arent much diffrent than OE. Tune and airfilter and maybe velocity stacks. Zero Gravity Double Bubble are great.
Good recommendations.
The problem is I live in California so no shop can install an aftermarket exhaust without facing heavy fines.
And aftermarket exhaust manufacturers won’t ship an exhaust here. Thanks Governor Newsom.
I’ll figure out something

Why not put hooks under the back seat?
I have one and use it when I need to leave my helmet with the bike but in this case I had rode 90 miles to find the restaurant closed so I needed to stretch for a minute and leave. I can’t put my helmet on my tank because I use a tank bag that has an arched top, I’m to clumsy to put it on my seat and have it fall off. I don’t mind laying my helmet in the grass but not that grass, it’s an outside motorcycle bar if you get what I mean. I didn’t know putting a helmet on the mirror for 2 minutes would get such attention but go figure. Lol. I’ve only been doing that for 48 years with no issues and I’m sure I’ll continue to do that when it’s the least worse option at that time I just hope I don’t take a picture and post it here! Lol

Thanks a bunch! I already have the 3D printed one from our member PeregrineKeith.

Back