Wierd Stuck Throttle Issue

Argilbertson

Registered
I decided to run the bike and let her warm up this afternoon, but when I started the bike, she throttled up like it was stuck at WOT and the throttle wouldn't twist in either direction. Thankfully, I had the clutch in so the bike didnt try to take off on me, but it scared the heck outta me! I read on here some accounts of other people having this issue, and heard that it had been bend throttle body valves or a cable jammed by an errant zip tie. I took the air box off to look at the throttle bodies, and they all looked good...took the cables off and checked to see what the tension was like on the TBs and they seemed to return to fully closed like they should, and the throttle cables themselves slid back and forth nicely when they were disconnected from the TBs, so I shrugged, put it back together, and fired it up again, and she runs just like she should again! No idea what the issue might have been, but now I'm more than a bit nervous about it; definitely dont want that happening while I'm out riding!

Anyone have any guesses as to what the heck might've been going on?

does the throttle snap shut on its own when opened then released? (with engine off)

is your high idle (choke) cable too tight?

With the air box off crack the throttle and watch your throttle cam and see if it shuts all the way and doesnt hit and off the set screws.

the high idle cable and the throttle cables all seem to actuate properly...it seems that what ever was making the throttle stuck was cured by my taking the airbox off...my current theory is that there's a vacuum line in that attaches into the airbox which runs right across the middle of the throttle bodies and hase a plastic tie/retainer clip...if that clip rotated forward, it would have blocked the set screws on the middle TBs and jammed the throttle open...it's the only option I can even kinda believe.

Do you RPMs change when turning the handlebars from side to side?

Went back out this morning to check on the bike; throttle's stuck again...bike hasn't moved all night and was working fine last evening, now it's stuck and wont move again. Grrr.....:banghead:

Back